Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike: 2001 ZX9r

i dont know how i would have wrecked my motor.... i layed my bike down (see my other thread) and when i got up and brushed myself off, the bike engine was not running, so it cut off on it's own somehow

i tried to turn it over with the starter immediately after the wreck and it did turn over

2 days later now that ive started to work on it and i cant get it to turn over with the starter. i've got nearly all of the electrical stuff connected from where i disconnected it all to remove the subframe

here's where im unsure...

i have my bike up on a stand. i put it in 6th gear and tried to grab the tire and turn it to make the motor turn over (not trying to start it, just trying to see if anything is locked up) and i could just barely make it turn over. it was very tough. i had to use all of my force to get one stroke out of the pistons, even in 6th gear.

so i decided to remove the spark plugs to see if it would turn over easier

now ive worked on several 2 stroke motors, but not a 4 stroke yet. i know on a 2 stroke if you remove the plugs the pistons will spin freely in the cylinder.

when i took the plugs out of my bike i could just barely notice a difference as far as ease of turning the motor over by grabbing the rear wheel and pushing on it. it was still very very tough to do, hardly any easier.

im thinking the thick valve springs are still going to give some resistance as opposed to a 2 stroke. but should it still be that difficult to turn the motor over even though there is no compression?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
No, it shouldn't be hard at all without plugs in it.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Something is bound up. Without plugs in it it should turn quite freely.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
Can you remove an engine cover and turn it over with a wrench? Not familiar with these newer engines...

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
If that thing was in gear and running when it did the cartwheeling, you could have broken things inside the transmission.

can you get it into neautral and try to turn the engine with the kickstarter?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A 2001 wouldnt have a kick start.

Its too bad they phased those out. Guess they didn't look very cool on the side of sportbikes. :p

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got her to crank. i dont know what it is with these new multi cylinder sport bikes, but it was still hard as hell to turn over with no plugs in (from trying to push the wheel anyway)

im used to working on dirtbikes, whereas if you had the plugs out you could spin the motor over quite easily

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
i got her to crank. i dont know what it is with these new multi cylinder sport bikes, but it was still hard as hell to turn over with no plugs in (from trying to push the wheel anyway)

im used to working on dirtbikes, whereas if you had the plugs out you could spin the motor over quite easily
By saying you got it to crank, do you mean you got it started? Push starting just about any bike is pretty difficult due to the gearing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
All you need is a seat, handlebars and a gas tank, right? ;)

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Good deal! Post up some pics of your first ride. Glad you are moving forward.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts