Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ride on the highway, i guess u can say a semi windy day. a huge gust of wind probably every 10 min. anywho, i have a 250R and i sware i feel every single gust of wind!! and everytime i feel like i'm going to run off the road. so now this is what i do before i ride... pick up grass and if it goes with the wind, i take the car. i'm just scared that i'll get hit with this HUGE gust and fall over :(

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
I'm seeing on your profile, 'BTK Beginner', so I'm going on the notion that you're still new to cycling. If that is the case...

The 'iffies' of running into gusts on a cycle is perfectly normal. If you aren't comfortable taking your Ninjette out in a particular condition, then follow your instincts and wait for another day. With time, you'll learn precisely what your 250 can handle in terms of wind, and you'll develop second nature instincts for how to counteract the effects. As that grows, you'll find yourself going out in weather conditions that you wouldn't have considered tackling on before.

For the record, the 250 is a lightweight to be sure, but under the hand of an experienced rider, it should be fine against a breeze that would 'blow grass out of your hand'. My 650R is a hundred pounds heavier (compared against the '08 250R), but I have zero problems keeping her on a line at 70 mph with 15 - 20mph gusts. I attribute that to my four years of riding experience; I feel the gust hit me - say from the side - and my reflex to lean into it automatically kicks in.

That reflex took time to develop. I remember my VN500 days of going across the local bridges with strong gusts pushing me all over the lane. Scared me to death. Now, the same conditions are a non-issue.

Again, follow your instincts. Hope this helped. 8)

·
Dark Angel of Sin
12,020 Posts
yep totally normal one thing i do when you have a big rid coming next to you go to the farther side of the lane crouch down and as ride into it then not to bad dose not throw you around as much you are new as time goes on your will get more comfortable with it

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Saki would know, Chrija59. She owns a 250 herself. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm seeing on your profile, 'BTK Beginner', so I'm going on the notion that you're still new to cycling. If that is the case...

The 'iffies' of running into gusts on a cycle is perfectly normal. If you aren't comfortable taking your Ninjette out in a particular condition, then follow your instincts and wait for another day. With time, you'll learn precisely what your 250 can handle in terms of wind, and you'll develop second nature instincts for how to counteract the effects. As that grows, you'll find yourself going out in weather conditions that you wouldn't have considered tackling on before.

For the record, the 250 is a lightweight to be sure, but under the hand of an experienced rider, it should be fine against a breeze that would 'blow grass out of your hand'. My 650R is a hundred pounds heavier (compared against the '08 250R), but I have zero problems keeping her on a line at 70 mph with 15 - 20mph gusts. I attribute that to my four years of riding experience; I feel the gust hit me - say from the side - and my reflex to lean into it automatically kicks in.

That reflex took time to develop. I remember my VN500 days of going across the local bridges with strong gusts pushing me all over the lane. Scared me to death. Now, the same conditions are a non-issue.

Again, follow your instincts. Hope this helped. 8)
yes i am a "newbie" and on a road with 18,000 18 wheelers and gust of winds u get kinda scared lol... i told my boyfriend that we have to take the back route home because i was so scared! i did try to lean a bit into the wind but it felt like it was comin from all over the **** place lol...

Saki- how long u been ridin for? ur bike is pretty nice...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
hey, dont feel bad when i went out for the very first time on a street bike, it was a windy day and it scared the pure mess out of me. everytime the wind would pick up i would let off the gas and slow down to about 30mph which probably ****ed off a few people driving behind me. once i learned how to control the bike in those situations i was good to go. you will learn to get used to it and then it will be second nature to you. dont worry, just practice and it will be alright.

·
Dark Angel of Sin
12,020 Posts
yes i am a "newbie" and on a road with 18,000 18 wheelers and gust of winds u get kinda scared lol... i told my boyfriend that we have to take the back route home because i was so scared! i did try to lean a bit into the wind but it felt like it was comin from all over the **** place lol...

Saki- how long u been ridin for? ur bike is pretty nice...

i have rode for 6 years total rode for 2 before i had my kids then i did not ride for 12 years and then came back to riding in 05 and love it:mrgreen:
thanks i love how my bike looks for sure :wink:
the more you ride the better you will feel and more confident you will get :)

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I didnt read all the post above me... but responding to the original message.... yeah... completely normal... get a bigger bike and it'll stop.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Very normal. Can be VERY dangerous, especially around 18 wheelers, even on an EX500R.

Only way to really get rid of it is to buy a big cruiser or similar

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
Get used to it. Plus, you'll find that there's more scary stuff that can/will happen.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Riding well in all kinds of weather comes with experience. Your bike, if ridden by an experience rider will not have any problems with wind. You learn how to lean, how much to lean into the wind. Where to be on the lane to avoid 18 wheeler blasts. Find a good rider that is willing to take it slow and go for rides with them. They will figure what you can handle just by observing you on your bike. Is she taking the right lines (for the most part) in a curve? Is she accelerating in the curve when she should? Don't let ANYbody tell you your bike is too small to deal with wind. Unless you get into the real big gusts, then its dangerous for cars, too

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
My first ride on the highway, i guess u can say a semi windy day. a huge gust of wind probably every 10 min. anywho, i have a 250R and i sware i feel every single gust of wind!! and everytime i feel like i'm going to run off the road. so now this is what i do before i ride... pick up grass and if it goes with the wind, i take the car. i'm just scared that i'll get hit with this HUGE gust and fall over :(
It is normal for your bike and since you seem petite, that just compounds it more. Moving to a larger bike will eliminate that eventually. Also being able to use your body to offset the wind is something you will learn and then it will mean nothing. Now in high winds, unless you are riding a huge cruiser nothing will matter.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If the wind is REALLY gusting and you're scared you're going to be pushed into oncoming traffic ride in the middle of the lane.

I know you're not supposed to but if it's gusty I usually pull into the midlane when Im going to meet cars etc. on two lane highway.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Let your experience level climb and this will become a minor issue to ya ;)

Relax your death grip, keep your eyes looking down the road (look where you want to go, don't focus on the roadway just in front of you), and let the bike do the work.

I'm still in my first days riding a Ninja 250, but I've already gotten used to the way the bike handles the wind. I'm a Nomad rider so I'm experiencing both ends of the biking spectrum vs the little Ninja.

But while each bike handles the wind differently, the skills used to ride the wind gusts still translates well. Oddly enough, a full blast from a passing 18wheeler effects the Nomad quite a bit due to its huge flat frontal area (shield and lowers and fat overall bike). So while I do "feel" the wind hit my body more on the little Ninja it kinda slices through the wind better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts