Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
On my 900 and on my V2K, the answer is "no".

The throttle grip just slips over the 1" bars and slides smoothly against it.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Depends what grips you bought; some come with the throttle tube (easier) and some do not. I've used both and never had a problem, especially if you're willing to just cut the old grips off :biggrin:. Otherwise, WD-40 and a long skinny screwdriver seem to work best.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
if you have old grips, esp rubber and this works really well on sportbikes, use compressed air to lift them off ...works great (provided you have a compressor and narrow nozzle)

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
alright thanks
what kinda glue do you use?
It comes with "Death Grip" glue, a Cynoacrylate Glue (CA) glue. It's basically super-glue.

I've read too many stories about how it grabbed early and you're then stuck (literally) with a grip halfway on. I went to the hobby store and bought something called Slow CA glue. It's CA glue but it sets up comparatively slowly. Buys you some time to position things where you want.

Spiral the glue into the grip, not onto the bar.

Old school is to spray hairspray into the grip. It sets up a mild adhesion once it dries. Some, as you see above, don't use any glue but I'm worried that sometime I'd be freaking out, trying to make the bike do something that would make my mother say "I told you so", and the grip would come off in my hand. Don't want that.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I use Scott Grip Stick anymore.
Cynacrylate is a bit overkill and usually ruins the grips is you ever want to remove them for some reason (I put the grips from my 800 on my Nomad). Used hairspray plenty of times in the past, but mostly for bicycles and off-road stuff. Kinda works, but probably not the best method for a street bike.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I've used the quick drying stuff and had no issues getting the left grip on. It does dry quick but not THAT quick. Had plenty of time to make sure it was lined up. Since the first install of my iso grips, I've had the glue break free twice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts