Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting the chrome iso grips and I am curious to how much people paid for theirs. I have seen prices around $50-65 on Ebay. I want chrome not chrome colored aluminum. Also any feedback would be nice, i.e. are they just for looks or are they more comfortable for long rides. Thank you for any replies.

p.s. I have a 2007 vulcan 900.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I bought mine from Metric Thunder for $59.95 +shipping. THEY ARE GREAT!

They look great, although a lot of bikes out there have them, so they are not "different". They are very comfortable. They are thicker than your stock grips. They do stop a lot of the vibrations from getting to your hands. I would suggest getting the throttle boss at the same time. It was $14.99.

Welcome to the forum, you'll like it here!

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I've not bought them yet, but just about everyone who has them absolutely loves them both for the visual benefits, but also for increased comfort. They are thicker than stock and cancel vibration better.

·
Skullman
115 Posts
Had them on my 1500. They were great. Want to get them for my V2K, but haven't gotten around to them yet. Too many other priorities to buy and don't feel like struggling with getting the originals off yet. But I will eventually.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine from Metric Thunder for $59.95 +shipping. THEY ARE GREAT!

They look great, although a lot of bikes out there have them, so they are not "different". They are very comfortable. They are thicker than your stock grips. They do stop a lot of the vibrations from getting to your hands. I would suggest getting the throttle boss at the same time. It was $14.99.

Welcome to the forum, you'll like it here!
Thank you! Thats what I wanted to hear, I need to justify to myself spending the money;-)

also, what is the throttle boss? A throttle lock? those things scare me.

·
Real Men Drive Trucks
1,058 Posts
I paid $60. I like them but if I could go back i'd get the pro one grips. Mainly because of looks. If you get the ISOs, get the throttle boss.

·
Real Men Drive Trucks
1,058 Posts
A throttle boss is essentially a fancy throttle rocker on the end of the ISO grips that you rest your hand on to releave the stress of grabbing the grip. It allows you to stretch your fingers while still keeping your speed. A throttle lock is more like a cruise control, it locks your throttle in one position.

·
Skullman
115 Posts
Not a lock Throttle boss connects on the end. Flat piece sticks out and just uses the bottom of your hand to push down. Allows you to release the tension on your hand for long trips.

You can actually buy 2 of them and reverse it on the other side. no functionality just matches your grips.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Desade, just a note of caution: if you get the ISO grips, unless you like to gamble, toss the grip glue in the garbage, as it's extremely quick curing and unforgiving to work with. The ISOs are a really tight fit on the ABS throttle sleeve. Despite removing the glue carefully and trying a few dry fits, when I installed the ISO universals on my VN900, the grip glue bonded almost immediately while slipping the grip on the throttle sleeve, which fell about a half inch short of target :mad:

After reciting some unsavory phrases, I managed to recover the uncooperative grip for reinstallation with minimal damage to the rubber insert. Thanks to a thread in this forum, I followed suggestion to instead use Gorilla glue, with the sleeve dampend slightly with water to ease installation. It went on really slick, and set up rock solid after allowing plenty of time to work with the grip to ensure both sides were nicely symmetrical.

I was a little paranoid about the strength of the bond, having ditched my offroad bike many years ago when a grip pulled free unexpectedly. No problems with the gorilla glue though; I've accumulated about 9000 miles since installation and the grips have not moved a micron!!

·
What can I spend my $$ on
619 Posts
I used Gorilla glue also and it worked just fine. I got the flame version as there are to many of the standard ones out there now. I've had both styles now and both are better than stock.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Can anyone comment on the thickness of them vs stock? I know they're a little thicker but how much? I really love the look but I'm concerned that my small hands won't feel as secure on them. Personally I think the stock grips on the 900 are the 1 spot where it's obvious Kawi cut costs. Most bikes have the metal end cap at least. They feel pretty good though.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Desade, just a note of caution: if you get the ISO grips, unless you like to gamble, toss the grip glue in the garbage, as it's extremely quick curing and unforgiving to work with. The ISOs are a really tight fit on the ABS throttle sleeve.
I used the glue according to the manufacturer's direction and it worked great.
Don't get the universals...get the ones that come with the throttle sleeve already installed...it will save you tons of time.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Can anyone comment on the thickness of them vs stock? I know they're a little thicker but how much? I really love the look but I'm concerned that my small hands won't feel as secure on them. Personally I think the stock grips on the 900 are the 1 spot where it's obvious Kawi cut costs. Most bikes have the metal end cap at least. They feel pretty good though.
One of the big reasons I went to the ISO's was size (Diameter of the grip). My hands are not by any means huge, but the feeling of the stock grips just sucks. The ISO's while not the moist visually appealing are IMO much larger and provide a considerable amount more of surface area trhat relax my hand because it is not as "curled".

·
What can I spend my $$ on
619 Posts
One of the big reasons I went to the ISO's was size (Diameter of the grip). My hands are not by any means huge, but the feeling of the stock grips just sucks. The ISO's while not the moist visually appealing are IMO much larger and provide a considerable amount more of surface area trhat relax my hand because it is not as "curled".
+1,
I haved very small hands also and the ISO's has never been a problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you go with the iso's don't get the universals it is much nicer to get the ones with the built in throttle sleeve. then you only have to glue one side. i didn't find the glue set that fast. just don't stop moving. the size is quite a bit bigger then stock but they are very comfy. i also went with the stilletto end caps they are a nice touch.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
if you go with the iso's don't get the universals it is much nicer to get the ones with the built in throttle sleeve. then you only have to glue one side. i didn't find the glue set that fast. just don't stop moving. the size is quite a bit bigger then stock but they are very comfy. i also went with the stilletto end caps they are a nice touch.
I went stiletto and throttle boss on RH side, wife hates the stillettos - says they look phalic, I call them manly!
One caution on the stillettos, when (if) you have your bike int he garage with the truck (car) watch the ends, they will not gouge the paint, but they do put a nice metallic wide scratch/rub anywhere they are drug across the paint (especially noticeable when your wife has a white truck!).

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Isos were the 1st mod on our new 1500. I have them on my C50 and my wife liked them. She had the flame type on her VN750 and thinks the regular iso grips are more comfortable.

We got the ones with the built in throttle sleeve. A very easy install.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts