Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that kawasakis are usually cold blooded, but I'm not sure that is the issue (completely at least). When I first start my ninja (cold day or hot day) it refuses to stay on. It usually chugs at VERY low RPM's (as in i can hear the piston fire every time) before it falls on its face. To get it going I have to give it the slightest amount of gas, only after it has fired. If I give it too much (more than a flex of my hand) it dies, if I give it none, it dies. More confusingly, if I have the clutch held in, it wont start at all. If I have the choke on, it wont start at all. If I have the throttle open it wont start at all. It wouldn't be that big of a deal except that if I mess up and it dies once, it usually takes me about 15-20 starts to get it actually going. Once I get it fired and running at a decent rpm then it is fine to ride. Any help on fixing this issue? I wouldn't mind if I just needed to let it warm up, but for such a new(ish) bike I feel like I shouldn't need to sweet talk it to even stay on?

p.s.
first post so sorry if this is a common question

·
Registered
131 Posts
if running correctly you will usually need to give it some (or a lot of) choke when starting cold. If you don't it could start but idle too low. Giving more throttle will lean out the mixture too much and cause a stall.
It almost sounds like the choke isn't working at all and that someone had messed with your idle position.
Is it idling at the correct rpms? I assume it is similar to mine and should be about 1300 rpms when warm.
A 2007 bike that didn't get its clutch cable lubed could have this problem.
Give it a check first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not very good with bikes (or cars for that matter lol) but my fiance's dad isn't bad. I will see if he cant look at it. As for the idle, the bike is at home (and i'm at school) so I can't really check it, but 1300 sounds about right for the idle. I have only owned the bike for a year, but I bought it off my friend who bought it new. He always took good care of it in my opinion, but I guess there may have been things he, or I, was supposed to check and didn't? Shortly after I bought it I had a bike shop give it the once over when changing the oil and they didn't mention anything

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.