Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got the carbs back in my 1996 eliminator 600, and what a b**** it was, those darn boots. Anyway, it runs real strong now. this is my first bike(I am hooked after a ride around the block), and it is a bit quicker than i expected. I was wondering about the idle, what rpm should this thing idle at? i can get it to idle at around 2000 rpm quite nicely, but not lower. I come from a Automotive background (Cars/Trucks) and i usually shoot for 700-900 rpm as a rule of thumb. I know i need to just buy the manual but i havnt yet. Also, i assume the idle adjustment is the little knob bolted to the fuel bowl on the left side outer carb. Sorry if i sound like a retard but, i am foinding out that even though they are 4 stroke, they are quite different beast than a car.

wayne

·
Registered
64 Posts
Generally bikes run at 1000-1500 RPM 2000 seems a little high. From my knowledge that knob is the idle knob. I had an EN 500 and the knob was there.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
wayne74447 said:
Well i got the carbs back in my 1996 eliminator 600, and what a b**** it was, those darn boots. Anyway, it runs real strong now. this is my first bike(I am hooked after a ride around the block), and it is a bit quicker than i expected. I was wondering about the idle, what rpm should this thing idle at? i can get it to idle at around 2000 rpm quite nicely, but not lower. I come from a Automotive background (Cars/Trucks) and i usually shoot for 700-900 rpm as a rule of thumb. I know i need to just buy the manual but i havnt yet. Also, i assume the idle adjustment is the little knob bolted to the fuel bowl on the left side outer carb. Sorry if i sound like a retard but, i am foinding out that even though they are 4 stroke, they are quite different beast than a car.

wayne
you are right it should idle around 800-1200 RPM. if it wont idle at that RPM then you still have problems. make sure the carbs/boots are COMPLETELY seated. make sure you dont have a vacumn leak (like you would with carbs on a car) did you set everything to SPEC (float height,etc) have you done a synch on the carbs yet ?
idle adjuster-bottom center of the this pic -------- >

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...39&model_dept_name=Eliminator++600(ZL600B2)US

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Correct on the idle adjustment knob. Should be able to idle around 1000 on your bike....could be the jets are not 100% clean still. Since you just got the darn thing back together, just ride it and it may work itself out. You can always try some STP carb cleaner. Dump it in the tank and ride till empty! Sea Foam is probably better.

Sounds like your jet is clogged somewhat still maybe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zl600

well, i was kind of nieve when re assembling the carbs, i didnt have any float specs so i carefully removed them and kept them with their respective carbs for re assembly. They should be at the same as they were from the factory or very close. does anyone have the specs on the float level? IS it possible to adjust with carbs still on the bike? (**** boots).

wayne

·
Registered
95 Posts
No, you can't adjust float levels with the carbs installed. Use the old spray carb cleaner around trick to find your vacuum leak. Work the choke many times to make sure it's cutting off (really an enriching circuit on your bike). In tank carb cleaner by volume (not a whole bottle). Fresh gas and ride it hard. This is typical of a bike that's sit and may clear up with use.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Re: zl600

wayne74447 said:
well, i was kind of nieve when re assembling the carbs, i didnt have any float specs so i carefully removed them and kept them with their respective carbs for re assembly. They should be at the same as they were from the factory or very close. does anyone have the specs on the float level? IS it possible to adjust with carbs still on the bike? (**** boots).

wayne
If the bike last ran fine at its settings(float) you will probably be fine with the floats. The only other thing that came to mind was if your float needles were good to go as well. Did you take those out when you cleaned the carb?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeh i disassembled them completley, the only thing left on the carb bodies was the linkages and throttle blades . i will check for vacuum leaks this weekend.

wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts