Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 1/2 hours ago my wife and I had our Australian Sheperd, Katie put to sleep. Katie was nearly 16 and we got her when she was about 10 months old. You couldn't have asked for a better dog. She had a beautiful temperment, was wonderful with children and was simply a gorgeous dog and loyal companion. She had started having problems a few months ago because she was losing a bit of weight even though she ate as much as always and then she started losing some of her beautiful coat. She moved a lot slower but her last day of life was spent on a walk in the woods where she was even able to muster up some energy to briefly play with a stick. She then lay on the front porch for a couple of hours while my wife did some gardening.

Her passing was very peaceful and we were with her till the end. After the vet gave her the sedative, we gave her a few last doggie treats which she gobbled up. Within a few minutes her strength began to give way so I lifted her up onto the table which was covered with a soft blanket. She lay down and we gave her lots of kisses while we stroked her head and rubbed her ears which she loved having done to her. I bent down and looked her in the eyes the whole time. Within a few more minutes her eyes grew heavy and by this time the vet had come in to administer the overdose of anathestic. The vet placed her stethoscope on her heart and within seconds she was unconcious but it took a couple of minutes for her heart to stop completely. She was a strong dog right up to the end.

Man, that was tough! She will be forever loved and missed. Here's a few pictures .

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I know your pain, had to do it myself....was really really tough... She's a cutie

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and her passing. She was a very beautiful companion. My heart goes out to you and your household.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
A very tough thing to have to deal with. I don't think people who haven't let furry friends into their lives realize the connection we have. I think I love my dog more than most people I know.

Sorry for you loss.

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
Man, that really sucks. I know how hard that was for you, had to put our beloved beauty to sleep 8 months ago. Just remember Hilts, its not the quantity of life but the quality of it. You did what was right. My thoughts are with you and your family.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them.

The animals are happy and content but they still miss the special people they leave behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. With bright eyes and eager body, s/he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, running faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy tears and kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved pet, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your friend, and realize your love for each other have always been there and will always be there.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together ... into the loving unknown.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Man sorry to hear about Katie, I had to do the same with my dog Baily last month and I still think about him every day. They really are a part of the family. I feel for you man, just know that you did the right thing by easing her pain!!!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Hilts, I feel for you man. I've got a 14 year old border collie at my feet. We're gonna be facing that situation in the next year or 2 (3 maybe?) Trike that was beautiful, nearly cried. Did you compose that?

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
That's a tough read. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Very sorry to hear about letting a loved one pass. Best wishes.

In two years I had to put down my two dogs - a year apart. And now my daughters dog which I consider to be my own as he has lived with me for the last 3 years has a serious leg problem. I pray that he will recover but he has had 3 surgeries...but he still has good spirits and no one here is giving up, as we do all we can to encourage his recovery.

But I cannot take my pets to the vet and allow their last memory to be of a place they do not want to be in. The final act of love that is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I dread the day when that time will again come and try to not think about it. After this, no more pets, in spite of all the joy they bring into my life I cannot face again that awful day that I know will come.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words of support everyone. It really is comforting to me and my family to know this kind of support is here.

I forgot to mention in the first post that she is being buried on the vet's property out in the country in a part of Ontario called Lanark County. A really beautiful area known as the sugar bush capital of Ontario. So tons of maple trees all around although the spot of land the vet has is mostly pine trees. Really pretty and quiet though in the middle of nowhere.

It was weird this morning getting up and only having to put out our two other dogs Mindy and Polly. They're still pretty young so hopefully it will be many years before we have to go through this again.

Thanks so much again for being here.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Sorry for your loss. It's tough doing the right thing for an old friend.

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
Been there and understand somewhat how you're feeling, we've had 4 Australian Shepherds, all good dogs.

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
I have 3 dogs and each is an important part of my life. Being out here far from the world, I spend more time with them than with people. Each is entirely different from the others, but completely loving and loyal to me. They love to run with me when I go offroad on the XT... in fact that's their favorite part of each day. I'll be devastated if their time comes before mine.

Condolences, Hilts. I can tell you're a really good person.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, Hilts. I know how hard it is to get up in the morning and have a pet not be there, especially after so long.

We've got 6 here that pretty much determine our morning and evening routine, and we know how hard it's going to be when they're eventually gone. We're just hoping that's a good while off yet, but know it may not be. ( 2 of ours are not long-lived breeds. One's a lab/St. Bernard mix and the other's Mastiff/Great Dane. And big dogs just don't have a lot of years in 'em. )

16 is a long life for a dog though... something like 112 years, in human terms. Doesn't make having to let 'em go any easier for the human though.

Anyway... I wish I had something to say that could make it easier, but we all know there's no such thing.

Take care.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I've felt your pain, and more than once. Dogs never ask much and are the most faithful of companions. We had to put our German Shepherd, Heidi, down a few years back and it almost killed me. We had her for 14 years and she was the most wonderful, intelligent companion. In the end, while her heart and eyes and hearing were fine, it was her hips that gave out. My condolences to you and yours over your loss.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just cried as I read this and saw the pics! We had to do the same for our 17 year old Sheltie a few years back. Whoever came up with the saying that "dogs are man's best friend" was 100% correct.

Sorry for your loss Hilts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts