Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how to explain what I witnessed today other than just say it. I took my bike out for a short warm up the oil and circulate it ride this afternoon. Nothing special, weather was coolish and the air was damp so it wasn't gonna be anything spectacular as far a rides go. Anyway, while heading down a road into Sedro Wooley, A guy riding an older Yamaha was approaching an intersecting roads stop sign, as he was slowing down, I was about to give him a wave, when he came to his complete stop and didn't put his feet down. I watched him begin to fall, try to save it, then the bike and its momentum, flung him to the ground. The most I can remember is his head smacking the ground, thankfully he was wearing a full face helmet and the sound of all his turn signals, mirrors, and windscreen breaking up.

By the time all this happened, I had crossed in front of him and had to make efforts to get back to offer assistance. When I got back there, he was gone but the unmistakable signs of his fall were there all over the road. It was a shame, but when I shared this story with my wife when I got home, we both had the same thought, that he had just bought the bike or was riding a friends bike for the first time and doesn't have the worlds worth of experience, anyway, he messed up that bike on its fall and I can only hope that he didn't injure himself in the process.

I had to share this with ya'll to clear my mind...thanks
 

·
Need to fix bike
Joined
·
405 Posts
A friend wanted to get into riding so he took his friends brand new gsxr 600 with 250 miles for a spin around the block. Well forgot to put his feet down and, now he owns a bike. Somehow he has dropped it several times since buying it as well.
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
OUCH!!!!! :( :( :(

I'd have to agree with you spok that he must be a new rider and just wasn't thinking. It's bad enough when you drop one...but to see someone else do it can be a little shocking. Poor guy! I have to believe he's ok since he was gone before you could return to help him.
 

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whistle clean said:
OUCH!!!!! :( :( :(

I'd have to agree with you spok that he must be a new rider and just wasn't thinking. It's bad enough when you drop one...but to see someone else do it can be a little shocking. Poor guy! I have to believe he's ok since he was gone before you could return to help him.
I can only imagine he was ok after all of that, or he was so totally embarrassed that he high tailed it out of there only to lick his wounds later?
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
spok said:
I can only imagine he was ok after all of that, or he was so totally embarrassed that he high tailed it out of there only to lick his wounds later?

It would be embarrassing wouldn't it? My wife and I were on the 650 heading out of the driveway and as I turned the wheel slightly the front tire went into a small hole and the wheel turned sharply and put us and the bike down lickty split. My wife actually stepped right off and didn't go down but I rode it all the way as it happened so fast and was over before I knew it. I got up...looked around at the neighbors house and felt like an idiot...and just knew every eye was on us and people wondering what the heck we were doing on a motorcycle. :shock:
 

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I almost had a lay down at the insurance agent's office. his parkinglot is a bit of a hill and I wanted to kill it in gear so it'd not roll backwards. I my efforts to keep it in gear and kill the motor, I forgot to extend the sidestand, fortunately it wasn't going over hard and I was able to catch it and not drop it. even at that I felt totally like a duncehead..I can only imagine what this guy had going thru his mind dumping like he did next to a busy road with so much traffic. Good thing nobody was turning on that road or he would've been road kill.
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
I guess that's why they call it an accident?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Some days your head just isn't clear enough for riding. Ever put the coffee pot in the fridge and wonder why the container of milk wont fit under the basket of the MR. Coffee? It happens. I learned a long time ago not to let anyone else ride your bike, not even if they are going to buy it. A bike does'nt have to be ridden to find out if its in good condition. Have it checked out by a mechanic. The guy that wants to buy it may not be a good rider. If he drops it your gonna have to fix it before you sell it again. Remember the old saying, " two things I never lend out, my bike or my woman. In that order.
 

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a man has to know his prioities hey Knight? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Judge not, lest ye be judged.
I tipped over once in Cedar City, UT after a full day of riding on those long, meditative highways to the left of center of our continent. In fact, there was a convertible-Cabriolet full of SUU coeds in the lane next to me. (Southern Utah University). I had been riding all day long, certainly more than 800 miles by that point, and had simply neglected to do something crucial after sitting in the highway position all day long. When I toppled over, the light changed, the girls giggled and sped off.

I was no new rider. Just exhausted and was in the Army, living in the military dungeon called "the barracks" and hadn't seen a feminine face in several weeks.
Noble of you to attempt to help, but it would have been nobler not to have reported his (/her) humiliation here, (which was almost certainly the reason he (/she) jumped back up and rode away quickly. I can tell you from experience that it's hateful and danged shameful to tip over on your bike in front of people, and even moreso to do it in front of merciless cute girls.

I hope you never tip over in public. But if you do, then you'll know how that poor rider felt.
-CCinC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,200 Posts
Well guy's, that's why they call these kind of accidents, A (rolling blunder) For the most part their self inflicked. hopefully the only thing that gets hurt is your pride. that too will heal . But sometimes you have to replace a few things like blinkers,mirrors,foot pegs. It's all part of the learning process, and you never quit learning things in life , so live an learn. I,m not gonna say I would never let somebody ride my bike, but It would be someone that I knew would know how to ride in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
I to have come very close to laying it over at stops, just because I think it's cool to do a complete "feet up" stop(pause), and having to use a little handle bar english for balance, then having the motor cough or sputter when engaging the clutch at severly low rpm's. Bikes don't care for that maneuver, and will express it with embarrassing consequences. ( Gee, I hope I didn't slip from "hero" status)LOL
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
Bud said:
I to have come very close to laying it over at stops, just because I think it's cool to do a complete "feet up" stop(pause), and having to use a little handle bar english for balance, then having the motor cough or sputter when engaging the clutch at severly low rpm's. Bikes don't care for that maneuver, and will express it with embarrassing consequences. ( Gee, I hope I didn't slip from "hero" status)LOL

LOL.....Awwww Bud.....there is always room for another hero! :)

Been there...did that too. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
I mentioned earlier I think, I put Gracie on her right floorboard about a week after I picked her up. Was working on sharp slow right turns in a parking lot. Scared the **** out of me and VERY embarrasing, but I figure it is better to practice in an empty parking lot than in city traffic, and now I know an area where i need practice :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,200 Posts
Alex214 said:
I mentioned earlier I think, I put Gracie on her right floorboard about a week after I picked her up. Was working on sharp slow right turns in a parking lot. Scared the **** out of me and VERY embarrasing, but I figure it is better to practice in an empty parking lot than in city traffic, and now I know an area where i need practice :(
Thats not bad Alex, once you get the hang of the bike you'll be doing it at 60 mph in the twisties. :-D
 

·
the "fun" guy
Joined
·
32,859 Posts
As Jim Carrey would say: "Like a Glove". :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,267 Posts
I was driving down a highway one day and just happened to glance over as a man was starting to stand up in the ditch next to the road. I stopped to see if he needed any help since he wasn't moving very well and than noticed the motorcycle. His daughters boyfriend had just bought a Yamaha sportbike, don't remember now what model, and let him take it for a ride. He made it a mile and half before the highway turned and he didn't. The plastic on the bike was trashed and the forks were bent a little. After we got it back to the road, I told him if he rode very slow he should be OK and I'd follow him home but he was too afraid to get on it. I rode it back to his house while he rode in my truck with my wife. I will never forget the look on the faces of his family and the boyfriend to see the bike come back in pieces with a total stranger on it. I didn't stick around to see what happened after that.
 

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
Joined
·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gpzrider said:
I was driving down a highway one day and just happened to glance over as a man was starting to stand up in the ditch next to the road. I stopped to see if he needed any help since he wasn't moving very well and than noticed the motorcycle. His daughters boyfriend had just bought a Yamaha sportbike, don't remember now what model, and let him take it for a ride. He made it a mile and half before the highway turned and he didn't. The plastic on the bike was trashed and the forks were bent a little. After we got it back to the road, I told him if he rode very slow he should be OK and I'd follow him home but he was too afraid to get on it. I rode it back to his house while he rode in my truck with my wife. I will never forget the look on the faces of his family and the boyfriend to see the bike come back in pieces with a total stranger on it. I didn't stick around to see what happened after that.
glad he wasn't hurt too seriously, your a good Samaritan for helping him get it home
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
One of the biggest mistakes you can make with a motorcycle is to lend it to a friend. If someone wants to ride it I tell them to buy their own. I wouldn't trust an AMA racer with my bike.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top