Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm considering buying a '82 Z750N Spectre, but I'm concerned about it being too old. Is this a good bike to get started?

Bike starts and rides, and buyer is asking $ 400 USD for it, but it needs paint and a front tire (current fron tire is white wall).

Please advice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sometimes insuring old bikes can be a problem. You could get someone expert to look at the bike with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends on how it was taken care of and how many miles it has on it. I have an '82 KZ1100 Spectre which I bought new and that still looks like new and runs great. Other than a recent carburetor cleaning, the bike has been trouble free.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Armando:

I must repeat what Michael A said...it depends on the maintenance history of the motorcycle...it is difficult for us to make a judgement or give advice without pictures and additional information. US$400 is a great price if the bike is in good shape...but the bike can also be very costly to make roadworthy if it just runs.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Welcome to the forum Armondo, the previous posters are correct in that $400 dollars is a great price for a classic bike! But what must be understood is that these older bikes need much attention, time, money and tools to address the various maintenance needs that the previous owners have usually neglected which leads to the reasons why they sell the bikes. If your willing and able to invest in a service manual, a few simple tools at first, plugs, oil, tires and fresh brake fluid and pads, then by all means buy the bike because it would make a great beginner bike to learn not only how to ride, but also how to maintain and service a bike. The classics are like beautiful women, they require much attention, time and money at first, but when you have brought her back to her original beauty, she will turn heads and make you proud to be her rider!

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you know someone who really knows what to look for - who will go with you to look at and listen to the bike- then it may be a project.
If not - walk away!
If you don't have the money and or expertise - it could easily be a money pit!

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Check your area for parts bikes or parts resources. Plenty of parts on ebay but shipping can add up. If you like wrenching and have a decent manual. The 750 engine is a very durable and reliable engine once you've caught up the maintenance others have ignored.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts