Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Her name is Cindy, and she's a beaut! Blue 2004 mean streak, $9900. She's still at the dealer, but will take delivery as soon as the car seats ready.

Test rode her and handling was slower than my SV650, but quite acceptable. Pretty easy to handle, but can feel the huge weight difference, 300lbs. Cruises easily enough. The engine has huge jugs and can feel them thundering beneath me. Always takes a bit to get used to a new bike, esp going from sport bike to sport cruiser.

Hated selling my other baby, SV650. That girl was one fun ride. Her place in the garage should be replaced by one greater.

Any suggestions for a mean streak newbie?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

put on your gear and find some twisties and hang on :lol: :wink:

congrats and welcome!

ride safe!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure hope there's enough enthusiasm and interest in this bike on this forum.

I'm 5'4" 165lbs, been riding for 8 yrs, and the meanie's the largest displacement bike I've ridden (not quite as fast as my SV). I like the fit of the bike. Just gotta remind myself that this thing is 600+lbs (closer to 700lb w/fluids).

I'm pretty small, so I don't ride bikes, I hang on for dear life pretty much. So if you ever see eyes peering over the handlebars of a meanstreak w/body used as sail, that's me. If I nod instead of wave, I'm hanging on for dear life :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
bushmeal, welcome :) great choice of bikes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Once you get accustomed to the bike, like bikeaholic said take it to the twisties and let er rip. I'm sure you'll love the handling, and the brakes are awesome :D If you have any questions i'm sure someone can answer here. ride safe.

·
Registered
837 Posts
:D congrats on the new addition to your garage 8) keep the shinie side up :lol: and have a blast...you'll just love her....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Uh, I hope you don't mind being called bush, cause I seldom type out a whole name :roll: ...... Beside, is there a story that goes with that name??? Inquiring minds need to know these things :wink: .
Seriously, ride that thing with a smile on your face, O.K.? You've got a good bike there.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SADDLE

Finding a bike that fits is the most important thing. the weight will soon not bother you nad you will absolutely love the bike...I haven't heard anything negative except for your claim that she is heavy...Enjoy, adn Welcome to the FORUM!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
x-wing said:
Uh, I hope you don't mind being called bush, cause I seldom type out a whole name :roll: ...... Beside, is there a story that goes with that name??? Inquiring minds need to know these things :wink: .
Seriously, ride that thing with a smile on your face, O.K.? You've got a good bike there.
No story with the name, originally ishmeal, but that was a real name, so bushmeal was a quick alternative. If you play online games such as battlefield vietnam, and run accross a bushmeal, me. It's a nonname name, like redhat.

Will take delivery soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
bushmeal said:
Will take delivery soon.
Sooo.... ya gots it yet? I like the name. Cindy. I call my Nomad Mr. ED 'cause it's SOOOO wide across the back it looks like a work horse, so being an iron pony, it seemed to fit.... :oops:

Give us your analysis after a few miles, if you can stop grinning long enough to type :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all. The new girl in my garage is Gwyneth. She is a '03 Vulcan Classic and we already are in tune with each other. She is my first ride in 27 years. A head-on collision pre-empted my riding, but finally I am
back at it. (my T/A was from being a passenger in a ambulance that hit a bus head on. I never got hurt riding)
So bushmeal, I hope you have the ride of your life with your machine. My new experience wiyh Gwyneth is more of a thrill now than it ever was with my Hondas and Harleys. Of course she is 400cc bigger than my 1972 Superglide. Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
finally got her

Well, after some waiting and poor weather, I finally got a chance to bring her home. The ride home was about 40 min, just enough for me to get a feel for the handling. It's handling is quite good. Won't be too hard to adapt to the cruiser, coming from the SV.

It's not too fast, as everyone reported and I expected. I can really feel those jugs thumping between my thighs. Vibration at 55mph is minimal. Actually the vibration was so slight that I never even remembered it.

The reach to the handlebars is a bit forward for my small frame, and wasn't as comfortable as the VTX1300 Retro. Maybe, I'll swap if it continues to be uncomfortable.

This thing makes so much torque down low. However, I haven't pushed it past 3Krpm. Gonna break it in easy, with a few roll ons past 3Krpm.

Didn't hit any fast roads from CycleMax in Honeybrook, PA home. Cruised on 322 home at about 45-55mph. I think the speedo isn't right. Too fast or something.

I am most impressed with the handling. There's some buzzing as others have reported and I'll probably tie up some loose headlight wires soon.

So much rain! I'll take every opp to get out and ride and get past he 600 mile break in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bushmeal,
Congrats on the new member! I am about 500 miles into my new girl.. and lovin' it! My break-in sticker says <3k RPM till 500 miles, and <4k RPM till 1000 miles..
And I think the manual said to change the oil @ 600 miles.

I am anxious to go past 4000 RPM.. to hear her sweet puuurrr.. or growl.. whichever.
--

So, does everyone recommend going to the dealer for the first oil change & checkup? Is it worth it? I would eventually like to change the oil myself.. but I was thinking the first one might be good to have done by them to have them check other stuff.. unless that is a scam..?
Comments?

--

Good luck Bushmeal! Your description of being a sail made me laugh.

-Ryan

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i like to have the first one done by the dealer if you have a good dealer
it gives them a chance to go over the bike again to check for loose fastners
you can do it yourself-i just don't really like taking the time to check all the bolts :lol:

i'm one of the guys that lets my dealer do all the service till its out of warranty,then i take over
but i have a really good tech at my dealer who does what he's supposed to and has
a lot of pride in his work so i'm lucky :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ryanmross, thanks for the info about the rpm, I wasn't sure and was shiting between 2.5Krpm - 3Krpm.

I am really enjoying it. This bike is so much easier to just hop on and go for a ride, as opposed to my SV. I quickly gained confidence too. Whereas, on the SV, I dropped it a few times which hurt my pride and confidence more than anything. This was due to the tip-toe reach to the ground.

When I took delivery, the salesman just told me that the first service was just an oil change and that I could do it myself if I wanted to since the valves are self-adjusting and it has a shaft drive. I hope to get to 600 mile in a week or two. I think I'll get it to a dealer as well. Perhaps, just to get ripped off, but oh well, we pay to feel better.

This bike is so much joy to ride.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'll prolly get flamed :lol: but don't baby these bikes too much-ride it throughout the rpm
range now and then-these motors like to be revved :twisted:

lugging the engine won't really do it any favors-it likes good oil pressure and the revs
insure that-on the 1600 your only turning 2600rpm in 5th at 60mph :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't worry bikeaholic, we'll make sure not to purchase an abused bike like yours.

After I break mine in, I'll ride it more aggressively too.

It's funny, Harley guys are waving. I don't need their approval.

I waved to this sport biker, and he looked presently surprised and waved back. Guess, he's not used to a big cruiser waving at him.

Wave at 'em all. Even the little ones on their tricycles. Round these parts, you can even wave at the amish girls babes on their bicycles :D

I also like to wave at the little eyes peering from behind a horse and buggy as I dodge the road apples.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: finally got her

bushmeal said:
Well, after some waiting and poor weather, I finally got a chance to bring her home. The ride home was about 40 min, just enough for me to get a feel for the handling. It's handling is quite good. Won't be too hard to adapt to the cruiser, coming from the SV.

It's not too fast, as everyone reported and I expected. I can really feel those jugs thumping between my thighs. Vibration at 55mph is minimal. Actually the vibration was so slight that I never even remembered it.

The reach to the handlebars is a bit forward for my small frame, and wasn't as comfortable as the VTX1300 Retro. Maybe, I'll swap if it continues to be uncomfortable.

This thing makes so much torque down low. However, I haven't pushed it past 3Krpm. Gonna break it in easy, with a few roll ons past 3Krpm.

Didn't hit any fast roads from CycleMax in Honeybrook, PA home. Cruised on 322 home at about 45-55mph. I think the speedo isn't right. Too fast or something.

I am most impressed with the handling. There's some buzzing as others have reported and I'll probably tie up some loose headlight wires soon.

So much rain! I'll take every opp to get out and ride and get past he 600 mile break in.

It's about 5-6mph off on my meanstreak. I can thank the cops with the big speed awareness monitors for that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In regarde to first oil change, the dealer in Baton Rouge, La did my first service for $56. I'm told that as long as you have all the documentation you can do it yourself, but like bikeaholic said you're also getting their experience as they look your bike over. I chose to go to the dealer mostly for the papers. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
bushmeal said:
It's funny, Harley guys are waving. I don't need their approval.
Hee,hee, it's because they can't tell the difference on the road. A local HD guy said, "hey, Carlo, I didn't know you were gettin a Harley!" When I said it was a Vulcan he had seen me on, he justs said 'oh'. Kind of ticks em off to be fooled. (No offense intended to any HD riders. Standard disclaimers apply :D :D )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts