Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, it's been one year since I've bought my bike. I bought my bike on April 26th, 2008. This was the first bike I've ever owned and it's served me well this past year. I think it's worth it. I have 9,200 miles on the clock for the first year. :biggrin:

I've used the 900 custom for:

Daily commuter
Daytona Bike Week
March of Dimes: Bikers for Babies
Fallen Police Officer Ride
1,066 Mile Iron Butt Ride
Tons of weekend trips
Beach days

I had one collision with a Hyundai Tiberon who came into my lane from a merge lane. I've had a few very very close calls.

I've learned A LOT about motorcycles and how they work. A year ago from today, I didn't know anything about motorcycles at all. I've learned so much I can't even list it here. I've learned it all on this forum. I highly recommend this forum to everyone I know that rides. I tell them how much I've learned and how great it is to have people as support while doing mods, fixing the bike, or trying something new.

It's been a blast to share my hobby with you guys (and gals) and I hope I get to enjoy many years to come just as I enjoyed the first year.

Being a biker has definitely opened my horizons and gave me something new to do.

My girlfriend and I absolutely love going out on the bike everywhere we go. She begs to take the bike and she's the first one outside to hop right on. I don't think it would've been the same without the BTK Forum, my dad being to supportive, and my girlfriend being so active and loving it.

I can't believe how long this past year has felt. I've been on so many trips, adventures, mishaps, vacations, and rides on my bike, that it feels like I've been riding forever. LoL.

What I have seen and felt with the 900 custom:

Pros-
* Inexpensive way to get into the world of motorcycling
* There are tons of mods that you can get for the 900
* Pretty much same acceleration 0-60 as the VN1500, Harley Deuce, Harley Low Rider, Road King, Night train.
* Much, much faster than the Shadow 750 and Harley 883 (blows them away!)
* Very easy to install mods
* Good fuel mileage.. 40 MPG with all performance mods
* Huge gas tank! 5.3 gallons
* Very highway able (1,066 IBA ride going 85-90 for 18 hours)
* Very attractive bike (gets a lot of attention and looks)

Cons-
* Pipes aren't deep just because it's only 903cc's
* Stock seat could be more comfy for passenger
* Could've added a 6th gear like how the HD's and Victory's do
* Had a more attractive air filter without the 900 marked on it
* Had a matching rear wheel like the front wheel looks (the rear wheel is downright fugly)
* I woud've liked a 120mm tire in front with a tad bit wider front wheel
* Rear fender leaves a gap and looks ugly like a dirt bike rear end (have to get a 200mm tire or drop the rear 2 inches to make it look better)

Those are really the only things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Here are the mods that I've done to my 900:

$499.99 Cobra Speedster Slashdown Pipes Debaffled - #4818
$349.95 Power Commander III
$222.25 Kawasaki Engine Guard - #K32000-045
$296.95 Kawasaki Sissy Bar - #K53020-377
$116.95 Kawasaki Luggage Rack - #K53020-378
$189.95 Kuryakyn Hypercharger Pro Series - Type-A #KA-609421
$87.01 Thunder Hypercharger Adapter - #40205A
$124.00 Xoprodox Billet Chrome Grips - #GRPCRMRRIB
$28.75 Chrome Cobra Dash Plaque - #05-0082
$91.70 Arlen Ness Rad II Mirrors - #13-051
$230.00 Avon AM21 230/60-15
$0.00 Completely Debadged
$19.95 Smoked Turn Signals
$0.00 Cleaned up the License Plate Holder
$23.95 Chrome Brake Reservoir Cover
$26.95 Chrome Bottom Side Cover
$6.99 Chrome License Plate with Chrome Screws
$25.00 Custom Speedometer Face
$25.00 Green Speedometer LEDs
$133.00 Lowering Kit
$113.00 Green LED Kit
$93.00 HID Light
$99.00 Cobra II Chrome Billet Headlight
$100.00 Kuryakyn Widow Pegs
$130.00 Metzeler ME880 90/90-21

$3,033.34 Total

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great Job

GREAT JOB THE BIKE LOOK GREAT .I jusy ordered my Cobra II Chrome Billet Headlight to day were did you get the bracket to fit the headlight from?

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Very nice ride you have. I, too, love this place and recommend it. Very insightful people on here.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
is this gonna be 15 pages too?:nopity:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is this gonna be 15 pages too?:nopity:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Haha.. you never know. Probably not since the post is soo freakin long. No one wants to read that sh*t, but at least im happy. :wink:

·
Actually, EX-CarGuy
596 Posts
Nice ride, and congrats on your first anniversary. October will be my first year with my 900.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
hey JC great job wit what yo have learned...I too either get it from this forum or from you...My year is in 2 weeks

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is one sick bike! I've had mine just over a year, unfortunately I waited a while before I sarted modding it but now I realize it's a sickness LOL....I just can't stop.

·
Maine vulcan rider
686 Posts
Congrats the 900 is my second bike and I love it just past my 1 year in Feb. My 1st was a 04 vn800 classic. I saw 2 Customs saturday while riding and never realized how cool looking they are driving down the road.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice ride J.C.
I'm just beginning my first year.
Haven't rode for 25 years.

"Cons-
* Pipes aren't deep just because it's only 903cc's"

Not that many years ago, 903 cc's was considered insane.:wink:

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice ride J.C.
I'm just beginning my first year.
Haven't rode for 25 years.

"Cons-
* Pipes aren't deep just because it's only 903cc's"

Not that many years ago, 903 cc's was considered insane.:wink:
I completely agree. I often argue with people on the forum about that.

My Aunt rode a 750cc from Fort Lauderdale, FL to California and back in the 1980's. And on this forum, there are many that complain about the 900 on highways. It's comical.

I just love the roar of the VTX 1800. It's sexy.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
My Aunt rode a 750cc from Fort Lauderdale, FL to California and back in the 1980's. And on this forum, there are many that complain about the 900 on highways. It's comical.
that has always driven me nuts. how people say a small bore bike (and by no means am I in agreement that the 900 is *small bore*) cant do this or cant do that. A friend of mine went from Wi to Cali and back, back in the 60's on a 250cc Triumph w/o a glitch.

Oh, btw, congrats on the 1yr!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
A friend of mine went from Wi to Cali and back, back in the 60's on a 250cc Triumph w/o a glitch.
I read story about a guy who rode a CB350 coast to coast.... 2-up! The way he was describing the trip, it reminded me of that epic cross-country example of human endurance accomplished by Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne on their "hog".

You are right of course. Like in golf... it doesn't matter how, it's how many.

Life's a journey.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Congrats on the first year, mine was April 8th and I have 6000 miles on mine as of this weekend,How does one get the iron butt award?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats on your first year! Great lookin' bike... and nice job on incorporating what you learned to make a very nice ride.

Enjoyed reading your 1st year summation/impressions

1 - 20 of 24 Posts