Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday morning as I headed to work I heard a funny noise in my bike as I rolled to a stop at the first stop sign. Turned around and headed for the house, heard the sound again as I got under 10 mph. Sort of a loud clicking, no I guess I'd say snapping sound. Parked it and took the truck to work. After work I called my dealer (80 miles away) and described it. Mechanic said probably brake caliper/disc noise, Kaws are noisy on brakes. Went out and tried it again, this is not brake noise!! Too loud, sounds like it's coming from the left side, in the final drive. Everything works O.K., just this weird noise between 10 mph and 2-3 mph. No other sound, gear noise, or whatever. Taking it in tomorrow. Hope it's something simple.....
Anyone want to venture a guess?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Is your final drive a chain? If so I'd have to say that the reason you hear a snap is one of the teeth on your sproket is severely twisted or bent. And the quicker you go the faster it crosses it so the less noise it would make or just skiping it, also look over your chain for anything unusual at all, I myself wouldn't drive the 80 miles until I at least looked at them.

Good Luck

Stew

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nomad with chain? :D

No, this is what's going on there. Probably you don't have to even take it to the dealer if you're a small mechanic yourself. Read this http://www.gadgetjq.com/vn1500clicking.jpg. There's your answer. Just can't imagine why Kawasaki still have problems with this, even if the problem was discovered a while ago. That bulletin was from spring 2003...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's it, VN16. I TRAILERED it to the dealer and guess what? They had a service bulletin on this and it requires a couple of parts. I guess maybe they came up with a different retainer, or something. I wish I had seen this before I went to the dealer today, although I still would have them do it as it is a warranty job and I might as well get something that will permanently cure the problem (if it does!!) Just think, I could have sounded very knowledgeable if I had pointed out what the problem was.. :roll:
Hope to have it back later this week, and of course this is all during some of the best riding weather we have had this year... :evil:

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Hey Wing - Glad you got it fixed and that it was simple. Great riding here in WI for the last day or two - the only day or two in a few months that it hasn't been raining!! The weekend is supposed to be great!!

I'm heading down to Anamosa, Iowa tomorrow to J&P Cycles 25th anniversary party. It's about a 2-3 hour ride from Madison and I'm going with a small group of guys (couple of Harleys and a couple of Vulcans), so it should be a blast.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I missed some great days in the last week. Got the bike tonight and the noise is gone. Got some goodies to install tomorrow :D and Sunday my dealer is sponsoring a Customer Appreciaton Ride with a cook-out at one of the stops. They said they had 120 signed up to go so should be quite a group! I think they fit my repair into the schedule so I could make the ride..... wouldn't want someone to miss their ride cause the bike is broke down. Wouldn't look good..... :wink:

Sounds like you're heading into a good weekend, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts