Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing for future maintenence , whats the best way to get the rear or front wheel off the ground? I have seen some different kinds of jacks and such just checking to see what works best.

1600 classic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure what will work the best for ya but I guess it depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Over christmas they had some motorcycle jacks on sale at like your local pep boys and what not for anywhere from $79-129 but if you dont want to spen too much money you could possibly invest in a pair of scissor jacks from local auto parts store. They run about $10-15 a piece and you can put one on each side of the swing arms in the rear and lift the bike like that. make sure you crack the nuts loose before you jack it up though or you could have a lot of damage to your bike if it falls off the ground. Here is a website link. YOu can look at what exactly to do with the scissor jacks. I find that they work great personnally but you might want to invest more money than me. You also have a pretty heavy bike too and the scissor jacks might not work so well for you. Just wait for others opinions too.

http://www.tourtimemedia.com/fzr/ In left hand column look under the "dont be a sucker" link.

·
Ludicrous Speed...GO!
1,866 Posts
I've got one of those red lifts that they sell all over the place. One of the problems with useing it on any of the Vulcans is that the Vulcan engines sit about an inch below the frame so when the bike is up on the lift it's not sitting perfectly flat. It's a little unnerving but if you cut some peices of think plastic or rubber and attach them to the ends of the lift pads you can get around that problem. Even without the added pads I've had my Mean Streak and my 800b up on the lift and neither has fallen off.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I bought one at Schucks Auto like the red lift mentioned and it works great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, got one at sears, $79.00. It will require some modifications due to the engine sitting lower than the frame. I don't think you want to lift the bike with the motor case.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have a similar one to the sears I bought from Northern Tool. I made some spacers from 1 -inch steel tubing to sit on the jack rails and have a slot cut out to slip over the tabs that protrude down from the frame rails toward the rear of my 1500 Classic. I definitely would not lift the motorcycle from the motor case!! Still, I connect ratcheting tie downs from the handlebars to the ceiling as a safety just in case she tries to tip off the jack.

·
Ludicrous Speed...GO!
1,866 Posts
Acording to the mechanic at my local shop lifting it by the engine is very safe. They do it all the time and there has never been any reports of problems. I had my 800 lift up off the ground all last winter on the jack.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I got the Larin jack through Sam's Club online for $78. It is the best jack to be had for bikes. It has arms that swing out for stability. It comes with an adaptor that allows the jack seat to lift by the frame without worrying about the pipes. You can actualy check out the jack at www.motorcyclejacks.com (their's is the MAL2C jack) but it is the same as the Sam's Club one. Awesome jack. Even comes with tie-downs!
Ride safely

·
Registered
459 Posts
Oops, forgot to mention the most important thing. The jack folds down to about 2-1/2 inches, so it will even lift a low-slung chopper.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I found it hard to believe that the sucker cost $70 with all the features. It'll hold 1200 pounds. I suspect that Sam's Club will not be carrying them much longer, since they are no longer available in their stores. They used to carry them at the stores, so one could save the freight costs. Or maybe they will just offer it online. No clue. But if one is thinking of a jack, there is no other IMO. And I researched a loooong time.
Ride safely

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My Northern Tool jack does not have the outriggers of the one above, but I can add these easily with my welder. Think I'll do that, should make it more stable fore and aft. Might do it a little different, like 4 stabilizers, offset 45 degrees, and 90 degrees apart.

·
Registered
459 Posts
With the 2 stabilizers that the Larin jack has, the sucker is like a rock. They swing out 90 degrees from the front of the jack & have screw-type adjustor plates (feet) attached to the ends, which allows you to plant them firmly on the ground. Otherwise, most of the jacks out there will wobble.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Larin also comes with the adaptor plate which is infinitely adjustable, so you can lift by the frame around any obstacles. With a welder, you can probably create one. It does not look difficult.
I have heard from some mechanics that they do not lift the bike by its engine. Other mechanics say it's OK. Since, I don't know what to believe, I bought the jack, primarily for my wife's 500LTD. The Meanie only needs a lift if the shocks will be pumped up.
Ride safely

·
Registered
694 Posts
SteveA said:
I got the Larin jack through Sam's Club online for $78. It is the best jack to be had for bikes. It has arms that swing out for stability. It comes with an adaptor that allows the jack seat to lift by the frame without worrying about the pipes. You can actualy check out the jack at www.motorcyclejacks.com (their's is the MAL2C jack) but it is the same as the Sam's Club one. Awesome jack. Even comes with tie-downs!
Ride safely
I went to sam's club yesterday, the jack you have is only available online. The price is now $79.56 and shipping is $53.00 to my zip code. Sam's does have a nice looking motorcycle jack in the store....it is more the style of a regular hyd. floor jack with asjustable lift pads, and made of aluminum. It only weighs about 58lbs. Price of this one is $99.81 online + shipping, but also available in the store. It is bigger in size, but description says it is light enough to hang on the wall. I am considering it....??

·
Registered
459 Posts
Check the ground clearance on the jack you are considering. The Larin is the only one I have been able to find that collapses down to 2-1/2 inches. If you get one that is too high, you'll end up trying to prop the bike up on 2X4's to get the clearance just to get on the jack. Almost every jack I have seen sits at about 5 inches collapsed. For a better look at the Larin jack you can get a detailed description at:
www.motorcyclejacks.com
The Sam's Club jack is the same one.
Ride safely

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thanks Steve, the crewline aluminum jack that Sam's club has does appear to only drop to 5 inches. I looked on the Sam's club sight again this morning, the price on the aluminum jack dropped $22.00 to $77.81. I'm going to measure the clearance under my bike...might go check it out again at Sam's.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Depending on what weight bike you have, you may need to strap the bars to the ceiling (or walls) to prevent jack wobble. Since the jack weighs in at far less than the Larin, that could be a concern. Even at $120 or so with shipping, the Larin is worth its weight in gold. It will also lift up to 1200 pounds.
Ride safely

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Mate
I have a ZX10 which I do all the maintanance on and what I did was buy a cheap come-along $25 aus (2 tonne pulling cap) and a good stong rope $10 aus tied the comealong to the rafters in the garage (car shed) and the rope around either the front of the frame or the rear which ever I want to work on and whinch the sucker up. It gives far better servce area than any multi dollar jack or lifting platform.
Anyway mate food for thought good and safe riding.
Burgs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts