Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what brand or type of motorcycle jack, stand, or lift will work with a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900 B1 LTD and where you can obtain one?

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Just got a nice one from Kragen's on sale ($49 after rebates) that works great even on the wannabeabigbike. The 500 has a LOW clearance, but it fits easily even with a 1" wooden top piece to prevent hurting the engine case. I am going to make a simple slip on carrier that fits over the frame to make it better and not hit ANY engine parts soon. (Yes it will be on the mod page)
Paul

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here's the bikelift I got to restore my Voyager. It's from Harbor Freight, and I think it was $300 (on sale). Uses a foot pump to raise it, and it works pretty good. I think it's quite stable, even when raised, and it'll hold 1500 lbs.
The only problem with a bike lift, is that it takes up as much space in your garage as a bike. One bay of my garage has to hold two bikes, so I have to store one bike on the lift. It's not too hard, just ride onto it, and attach the tie-down straps.
The lift makes working on the bike a pleasure. Just raise as high as you need, and pull up a short stool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with the LTD is that the pipes are on the bottom of the bike. There is about 7.5 inches between the pipes at or near the oil pan. I'm afraid that using a bottom lift or jack will damage or crush the pipes. I need something to jack the rear and front to do chain and tire maintenance. Looks like the pipes run nearly under the swing arms which makes it difficult to find a jack.

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK, now I understand what you're looking for...
I use a floor jack, placed on the bottom of the engine, between the two sets of exhaust pipes.
I put a 2x4 wood block under the side stand, and jack up the bike until the rear wheel comes off the ground. The bike is steady enough to spin the rear wheel and clean the chain.
BTW, when the bike's on the lift, it's supported with tie-down straps, and the kick stand is up. I can jack up the rear wheel with my floor jack (located between the pipes under the engine), which can sit on the deck of the lift.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I've been pondering about doing also - using a floor jack just enough to lift the rear tire for chain lubrication and maintenance. Just wanted some feedback to see if other KZ owners have the same problem and how they are working around that. I don't have a lift but will be getting a floor jack. Right now I've got the tubular framing of the swingarms supporting on stand jacks. Had to get my son help me lift the rear end and set it on the jacks. I can see I've got to invest in some equipment.
Thanks for your help - again - LTD Rider!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now those are practical tools. I found two brands available -
1. Easy Wheeler (very expensive but quality is unsurpassed); and
2. Rollastand - priced around $50
Both can be found by Googling them.
Thanks for the tip on the rollers A2.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Anytime. I have the cheap one, also!

I can't say I miss the days of starting out in the garage oiling my chain, and ending up at the end of the driveway!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I bought one of these at the local tool store, Princess Auto:

It works well. The saddles adjust, lining up with the frame tubes if the exhaust doesn't block them:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Amen

Stargate. I also use a scissor jack under the front of the engine case to raise the front wheel off the floor to check the air in the front forks or any other maintenance that I want to do on the front end.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Sometimes I use a floor jack and wood block under the the front part of the frame to raise the front wheel. But most times it's not hard to find someone standing around doing nothing, so I make them sit on the back of the seat while it's on the center stand to lift the front wheel. :smile:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts