Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a jacket for this summer, so i wanted something that would be able to handle the hot days as well as still give good protection. From my research, i have found the the leather textile hybrid jackets seem to offer the best of both worlds, as i can only truly afford one jacket. My question is does any one have any recommendations on one that would fit well on a skinny guy like myself well (5 11, 135ish LBS)? Also, since i have 84 LTD, are some jackets better suited to a standard riding position vs. say a sport position?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I live in the heat and humidity of south Georgia, but I do not ride without full gear on. Below is a link to a jacket i picked up from LeatherUp. It is an armored mesh jacket and although inexpensive, I am very pleased with it. The air flow is great on the hot summer days. The fit is 1 size larger than your regular size. Glad to hear you are riding with gear. Take a look.

https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=41480

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
My husband was wearing his Joe Rocket Phoenix Mesh jacket when he crashed @ 65 mph a couple of years ago. It survived pretty well. He just had a bit of a "rug burn" from the windstopper shirt he had on under the jacket. Neither the jacket nor the shirt tore.

His was a 2.0, they now make a 5.0. JoeRocket.com

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Im leaning toward something that is a mesh and textile combo with the armor. I know that leathers are best for protection, but if its too hot i will not want to wear it and i figure it cant protect me very much if i never wear the thing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got a Tour master Intake 2 last year. It's been replaced by the 3 now. Functionally the same but a slightly different look. I wear it in Florida and Eastern NC summers. Good airflow so that other than the weight I barely notice it on if I'm just walking or standing around. Feels great when moving. With both liners in, I've worn it down to about 40 degrees dry and 55 degrees in a rainstorm.

No first hand experience with its crash protection.

https://www.tourmaster.com/product/Textile_Jackets/Intake_Air_Series_2_Jacket/269/3

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought the Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket. I haven't had the chance to try it out in the Utah heat but I can tell its going to be plenty light enough. Light yet I still feel like there is plenty of protection from the armor. I would recommend it for sure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My husband was wearing his Joe Rocket Phoenix Mesh jacket when he crashed @ 65 mph a couple of years ago. It survived pretty well. He just had a bit of a "rug burn" from the windstopper shirt he had on under the jacket. Neither the jacket nor the shirt tore.

His was a 2.0, they now make a 5.0. JoeRocket.com
Hey if you dont mind me asking was your husband wearing a full face? How did the helmet perform? I have considered a 3/4 or half helmet on my cruiser but Im used to wearing a full face from riding sport bikes. I just feel a little more safe in the full face.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also have the phoenix mesh jacket. It feels good I would say up to about 80 degrees max then anything over that its still too hot. Especially when sitting at a traffic light. If I were to do it again I would have gotten a lighter color. I think the black is part of my problem of why it gets too hot wearing it. Even though I think black looks the best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would go with a Mesh jacket. It lets more than enough wind flow go through to you. You feel a lot more comfortable riding. The thing that I see with gear, is if it's uncomfortable you're not going to want it on for too long. That's why I recommend a mesh jacket if its going to be hot. Theres a lot of good enough brand for good value prices too, Mens Motorcycle Jackets - Biker Jacket Galore Motorcycle House | Leather Biker Jackets, Gear, Clothing and Apparel has a good selection. I would say they're better priced than leatherup because I searched high and low for better deals, Xelement is basically the same thing as Vikingcycle on there ( Weird name I know ) .

For sure, You're going to want to look into leather chaps too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have tried on many mesh riding jackets and really like the Scorpion Eddy Exo. It's a light weight nylon/polyester sport jacket with a lot of built-in armor all over it, good size zipper pockets (2) outside and a nice zipper pocket inside. Zippers well in the front and has forearm zippers to get your gloves on or for getting more air into the jacket, which ventilates well in general zipped up. I have ridden with it in the full Florida sun with no overheating problems.

The Scorpion Eddy Exo also comes with a removable nylon lining for warmer days out and colder days (e.g., below 60 degrees F here). I can also attest that the jacket is also waterproof in rather heavy rain. There are different color combinations to suit your style (on Amazon.com) or in local cycle shops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts