Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a new jacket for this next season and I'm trying to decide if I want a leather, gortech or one of the other type of jackets. I have noticed that leather are a little more expensive and usually don't have armor. The gortech and other materials seem to have armor. What are the pros and cons of leather and gortech and the other materials. I ride a cruiser and I don't want to get anything to flashy. :biggrin: Give me some ideas.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Buying a jacket was easy for me I don't care for black leather, a little vanity here I don't have the complexion for it and difficult to find brown motorcycle jackets with armor guess I could have one custom made but will have to wait till I win the Lotto. I went with a Joe Rocket 6.0. Not flashy just a couple little ovals on the shoulders with the JR logo but a good three season jacket. I like how it fits XLT extra long sleeves, plan to go with a JR mesh jacket for summer. The 6.0 was under 200. I've seen both motorcycle leather and nylon that have taken a slide both saved the riders hide and were still being worn. If you think leather fits the cruiser image go with it :cool: if cost is a factor a quality nylon with armor will do the trick. :cool:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm looking at buying a new jacket for this next season and I'm trying to decide if I want a leather, gortech or one of the other type of jackets. I have noticed that leather are a little more expensive and usually don't have armor. The gortech and other materials seem to have armor. What are the pros and cons of leather and gortech and the other materials. I ride a cruiser and I don't want to get anything to flashy. :biggrin: Give me some ideas.
I have a red, white, and black Joe Rocket leather jacket for my cruiser. I like having the red and white upper portion for a little more visibility over an all black jacket.

Anyway, I would go with leather with armor unless you are a) always riding in hot (85+ F) weather or b) need it to keep you warm in the cold. Most quality leather jackets have air vents for warm weather riding. What I like about my jacket is the entire side can be removed for nice air flow and I wear it up to 100 F, though it is a pain to put back on and the panels leak in air during cold weather riding.

You didn't mention a price range, so it's hard to narrow down. New Enough has plenty to choose from. I wouldn't balk at spending close to $300 for a jacket that is versital and protective; others won't spend less than $500.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
You'll get almost as many different opinions as you do posters, but here's my take.

I like leather. It has great abraision resistance, but that's not why I got it. I got my leather about 5 years or so before I had a bike. I got it because I liked the look. While looking, I tried on some armored jackets and thought that they were not that comfortable.

I say that because if the jacket is "ride only" then get it armored. If you'll wear it out and around like me, the armor is annoying.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I wear leather right now, but I think my next jacket probably won't be. My son got a nice one for Christmas that I tried on. it's a private label Ride-Now jacket, but made my one of the leading manufacturers. I like it because it has a zip-out liner and mesh on the outside. The liner is also waterproof, which I think is a plus. The only thing I didn't like about it was the back protection, which on my bike with the rider backrest, wouldn't work at all.

I'll say this though....it's hard to beat leather for wind protection.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Check out the Icon leather jackets.....great stuff with a msrp of around 600.....but can be found much cheaper!
-S

·
Registered
588 Posts
Check out the Icon leather jackets.....great stuff with a msrp of around 600.....but can be found much cheaper!
-S
Icons are generally considered overpriced for what they offer. I would put Icon even, if not below, Joe Rocket, and you can get a good JR jacket for under $300.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Good lord!!! I'd never pay 600 bucks for a jacket! (probably should never say never though!!!)

You can find really nice ones for 200, and off-brands for under 100. My son's Ride-Now jacket was 90 including the liner.

I know one is leather and one isn't, but what on earth would make a jacket worth that much?

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts

·
Ready2Ride
1,456 Posts
Go to some local bike shows this winter. They almost always have leather vendors there with a large selection of jackets, pants, chaps, gloves, etc. The advantage is that you can try on the jacket before you buy it to get a good fit. I'm planning on getting another jacket this winter at the Timonium bike show in MD.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I personally love leather. I have been wearing them most of my life (though shorter then some in here HEHE) and when I get my next one, it will be leather. Like Kevin, I wear it for more then riding.

If you want to look at leather, look at River Road Leathers. I was looking at them this weekend and was pretty happy with them. I have a pair of their leather gloves and have no issues or complaints. Plus, you can get into their jackets for around 150 AT a bike shop.

·
Registered
588 Posts
hrm.......

this is my leather:

it is armored so I don't just wear it around. I paid $500 w/ tax. it's very well constructed, I think and HEAVY.
But it's almost identical to my well constructed (other than the stupid snaps that I hate, hate, hate) and heavy Joe Rocket jacket which I paid under $300. You basically pay $200 for the big "K."

I would pay $500 for a jacket, but for a Vanson or an A*, not a Joe Rocket.

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
But it's almost identical to my well constructed (other than the stupid snaps that I hate, hate, hate) and heavy Joe Rocket jacket which I paid under $300. You basically pay $200 for the big "K."

I would pay $500 for a jacket, but for a Vanson or an A*, not a Joe Rocket.
and your point is what? I bought the jacket *I* wanted... it's no different than someone paying the extra $175 for a fancy paint job on their Shoei or Arai

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
My only point is that unless you want a specific style or design to your jacket (or helmet for that matter), you don't have to pay that kind of money to get something decent. I know it's a personal choice, just pointing out the other options. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
hrm.......

this is my leather:

it is armored so I don't just wear it around. I paid $500 w/ tax. it's very well constructed, I think and HEAVY.
I have the same Kawi leather jacket for spring and fall. It is great, but I use a Honda perforated leather if I wear one in summer. Mostly for long trips.
I have collected some nice jackets over the years, but this winter I have been wearing an Arlen Ness leather , and a Harley Davidson leather, that are both out-standing and warm.

Research shows that you get the best protection from road rash from leather. Mesh jackets are good, but make you tumble. Leather lets you slide.

D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My only point is that unless you want a specific style or design to your jacket (or helmet for that matter), you don't have to pay that kind of money to get something decent. I know it's a personal choice, just pointing out the other options. :)
I agree Dave. You pay a real premium to have your favorite riders name attached to a product. Be it a jacket or helmet, but there are a few name brand products that offer great quality.
Joe Rocket is a good example of a real quality product, and the prices are not that rediculous. I always watch for close outs. These companies change their lines like the wind, and blow out the old to bring in the new.

D

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
I have the same Kawi leather jacket for spring and fall. It is great, but I use a Honda perforated leather if I wear one in summer. Mostly for long trips.
I have collected some nice jackets over the years, but this winter I have been wearing an Arlen Ness leather , and a Harley Davidson leather, that are both out-standing and warm.

Research shows that you get the best protection from road rash from leather. Mesh jackets are good, but make you tumble. Leather lets you slide.

D
This is my mesh/leather, (also Joe Rocket) which I got brand new in the bag off of ebay for a song. I'll still be wearing this one on the hottest days of the year....

I do think I need a non armored jacket just to wear around... neither of mine are particularly comfortable off the bike...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts