Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I'm not stealing it.....I'm jacking it up. What's the best way to do it? I want to take off the front wheel. Would it be best to put it on the center stand then use a floor jack on the front of the frame?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if you have a center stand then def use it. put it up on that and jack it up under the header. it wont be putting much pressure on the header so it wont hurt anything. i would break everything loose before putting the front wheel up.
good luck

·
Need to fix bike
405 Posts
how would you go about doing this if you dont have a center stand?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Hawkshot99 said:
how would you go about doing this if you dont have a center stand?
if i had to do it the getto way :roll: :lol: i would pull the side body work , get a set of jack stands under the frame around the motor. this is what i did to get the forks/front wheel off my katana. have someone else help ya so that you can lift the bike onto the jackstands.
heres how i do it. put the bike on the kickstand and put a jackstand under the frame on the right side, then go to the right side and pull the bike up into the air balanceing it on the jackstand, have someone put the other jackstand under the frame on the left side.
good luck :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Dr. Feelgood said:
No I'm not stealing it.....I'm jacking it up. What's the best way to do it? I want to take off the front wheel. Would it be best to put it on the center stand then use a floor jack on the front of the frame?
One of the best ways, but not the cheapest is the pit bull stand that lifts the front end by the steering stem. ($150)

Another way of doing it is setting up some pulleys and rope in your garage and lift the front end from the handle bars.

For $69.99 you can go to Costco or go on line and purchase a lift that includes a cool little chair as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, now that you mention it, I have an engine hoist. Guess I can use that if the jack deal doesn't work out.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Dr. Feelgood said:
Actually, now that you mention it, I have an engine hoist. Guess I can use that if the jack deal doesn't work out.
thats another good idea. get some SOFT TIES and loop them around the bars, loop them over the hook and away ya go. STILL USE THE CENTERSTAND

·
Registered
128 Posts
another thing you can do is get a driend who's really bored to hold the back of the bike down while the front wheel is off with the centerstand down... it take's a really bored friend for that. pretty much the same thing as setting something heavy on the back of the bike.

the local shops drop the centerstand, take a strap across the back seat and cinch it down so that the rear tire is touching the ground lightly. i'd trust this way, as the bike is not going to move.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rednek426 said:
another thing you can do is get a driend who's really bored to hold the back of the bike down while the front wheel is off with the centerstand down... it take's a really bored friend for that. pretty much the same thing as setting something heavy on the back of the bike.

the local shops drop the centerstand, take a strap across the back seat and cinch it down so that the rear tire is touching the ground lightly. i'd trust this way, as the bike is not going to move.

This is what my brother said to do. The thing is that I'm going to have to wheel off for a couple days. I don't think anyone is that bored and I don't trust something on the back of the bike to not fall off. It takes alot of weight to do it for some reason, we tried.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another thing you can do is get a motorcycle lift from CSK auto (Checker, Shucks, or Kragen depending on which part of the country you are in) they have one for $50. It should get it high enough to get the front wheel off. If it doesn't aim it tword the back and use a jack in the front. Oh yah, and Be sure to use tie downs when using the lift!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Exhaust runs under the bike passed the oil pan and out to the right side for aftermarket or on both sides if stock.(2 cans)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just jacked up mine with 2 hydraulic jacks (one on each side) lifting each gradually so the bike remained sort of upwright, and put a jackstand on each frame rail. I had someone stabilizing the bike on the way up and down. There's just barely enough room to fit the jack/jackstand without hitting the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Jacking

out here on the farm we'd do it the easy way by setting up several 2X10's down and then raising the bike up on the centerstand. a lag bolt, or something to hold down the rear of the bike and then a tie down strap to hold down the rear of the bike. of course you could use a couple 70 pound sand bags to do the same thing then use the sand durring the winter for the snow on the sidewalks...Raising the bars will cause the bike to tilt to one side, unless you use a proper knot to balance the load from the handle bars. Placing jackstands under each side of the forward frame will work as well, but make sure that you duct tape the metal or you will scratch the paint on the bike frame...and it is slower. the sand bags would be my preference because they are cheap and reusable, even if you accindently spill some oil you could use them for clean up...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts