Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are in the stages of lotsa planning this year, but due to the cold, we gotta stay at lower elevations, most of us dont want to risk ice and snow with a group.

April, we have to do the julian ride, its a must, thats the first one we did as a group last year.

now january, a little more high desert time,

so, to copy and paste rich.

we're going to go straight up the 15 into Victorville, then bring the 18 to the 247 and from there match Puki's ride through the twisties into the back door of Pioneertown.

after pioneer town, the LCR has a great place for chili ( which should make for an interesting ride home)

At that point, we'll cut over on Hwy 18 (less signals than Bear Valley Road) to the 247, and take 247 ALMOST into Yucca Valley.
Just before Yucca Valley, there's a turnoff... "Pipes Road", that is a bunch of nice mellow low speed twisties (nowhere near as intense as Malibu), and that'll take us into the back side of Pioneertown.

Return trip will be down the 62 to the 10 and back home.... I plan on bringing the 60 through the Badlands into Moreno Valley, and we can all split up at either the 60/215/91 interchange, or continue if you guys would prefer to take the 57 back into OC.

The high desert portion will be highly dependent on weather... if there's snow on the ground, we'll skip that portion and just do a 100% slab "out and back" on the 10 and 62. If we go that way, you can bring the BTK group to the Redlands LCR staging point.

One of the guys gave me this link:
LateralG - California Driving and Riding Roads
and it pretty much confirms.... we've recently done anything that can be done when there's snow and ice in the mountains.

I guess a date is in order..................january 12th.

hope to see you all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone. I look forward to joining you guys/gals on a group ride. I can not make it on the 12th on my bike but I might "cage" it with the kids in the back so I get to meet some of you and learn some of the roads around here.

The april ride to Julian I should be able to make. I am planning on going to Julian with some co-workers so we might include ourselves in your group.

I plan on hitting Palomar Mountain tomorrow on a solo ride. Nice and easy to check it out.

I have done a lot of riding in the mountains back east (Blue Ridge, Cherohala Skyway, Deals Gap, etc...) but new to riding out here in Cali.

Either way, look forward to meeting most of you soon.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
julian should be fun..................I may have 3 slices of pie this time

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Are you guys looking at the 10 day forecast?

Sat Jan 12 Mostly Sunny 66°/46° with 20% chance of rain
Ya, we'll have to play it by ear. If it looks too unfavorable in the high dez, then we'll just slab it out and back the 10 and 62.

I'm considering this anyways since the point of hitting the high dez was to run the light twisties on Pipes Road, but with this weekend's storm, I don't know what conditions will be (it was the area that burned out 2 years ago and it still has not regrown), and I won't have the opportunity to pre-ride.

Either way, we'll probably run a comparable staging time at Buena Park, with the only difference being whether we all group up at the Screaming Chicken like last time, or in Redlands at the LCR's normal staging area.

20% chance of rain, I'm willing to gamble that, but I'm not willing to gamble the safety of the group on Pipes Road.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Mark... I just posted KSU for Redlands at 10:30... please adjust your KSU time from Buena Park to accomodate arrival no later than 10 to give everyone time to gas up in Redlands.

I'll be at IHOP flirting with the one-legged waitresses at 9.

Do we need a roll call thread yet?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Soooo..... Here's the scoop guys:

Final Staging: Rider meeting at 10:15, KSU 10:30 from the Shell station at Alabama and Industrial in Redlands. Breakfast at IHOP at 9 (make it a light breakfast).
This should put us into Pioneertown around noon.

This staging area is best for those in the IE or San Gabriel Valley.

Mark will do primary staging at the Buena Park Mall for the OC guys. I'm thinking KSU at 8:45 will work well for this.

LA/northern guys... take your pick. Slab the 10 out to Redlands or the 5 to Buena Park.

Directions to Redlands staging area:
I-10 East past the 215 to the Alabama exit. This is the next exit past California, just shy of 5 miles past the 215.
Off at Alabama, turn right at the end of the ramp, and make an immediate right into the Shell station driveway. Gas up, and for those arriving for breakfast, park in the Shell lot over by the pay phone/dumpsters and walk through the bushes to IHOP. We'll have a group of tables together in the back.

The Ride:
We'll slab it out I-10 to Hwy 62, then up 62 into Yucca Valley and off into Pioneertown. Lunch will be at Pappy & Harriet's. Eat a light breakfast... NOBODY leaves Pappy & Harriet's hungry!

This will be a fairly short ride. We'll probably get out of Pioneertown no later than 1:30 or so. For those who would like, we'll make a stop at Angel's Roadhouse in Calimesa at the 10 and Live Oak Canyon road for a drink and to flirt with the staff. We'll probably be rolling in there around 3 or 3:30.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts