·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike: 1981 KZ1000 LTD
Jetting: Factory
Airbox: Stock
Pipe: Kerker 4-1

I suspect the pipe was for asthetics and sound. I remember from my earlier days that if you changed the air box in any way from stock that you had to re-jet. Still true?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bike: 1981 KZ1000 LTD
Jetting: Factory
Airbox: Stock
Pipe: Kerker 4-1

I suspect the pipe was for asthetics and sound. I remember from my earlier days that if you changed the air box in any way from stock that you had to re-jet. Still true?

yep....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say the jetting is stock but I actually don't know. I would have to dig into the carbs to verify this. It does retain the stock airbox though. Was it commonplace to jet and pipe but keep the stock airbox?

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
Have you verified that the jetting is stock? I thought that mine had been re-jetted for the altitude and the pipe, as stated by the previous owner.

Turns out, NOT! Pipes, factory air box though but I'm at 5,280' in altitude. All with factory jetting and it runs hot (as also told by the previous owner) but is running rich (plugs and exhaust tell the story). I'm thinking that much of what I have been told is in fact, incorrect.

So I'd verify the factory jetting before ordering something up.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would go ahead with 2 sizes bigger,if you plan on putting on a header later.Its better to be rich than lean
before you go advising other users on jetting recomendations read this great article:
In Search of Free Lunch.pdf
Your not even close in your "2 jet sizes richer" suggestion to what's actually needed to run pods with any sucess.

I never disclose my jetting because primarilary, I only know the very basics of jetting, and secondly, there is simply too many variables within the jetting equasion to offer an accurate suggestion even if two people have the same bike.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got home, 1.5 hour commute, so I don't get much time in the shop until bedtime. Anyways, if my tired eyes were right I read 122.5 on the main jet and 37.5 on the pilot. They are mikuni's and I'm unsure what size. Are these jet sizes stock? It still retains the stock airbox and like I said earlier, it has the 4-1. I plan to keep the 4-1 and I want the stock airbox gone. Is there a chart that matches up jet sizes to pods to pipes? Also had the number 130 on the butterflies.

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
I do believe those are stock. I have the same in my KZ1000 K2. What do the plugs look like? They've been run with that Kerker for some time, so if they're reading lean, then I'd look at a rejet for sure. If they're OK, then the pipes didn't have that much of an effect on the stoich of the carb setup.

I'm reading that article currently (that was listed a few posts up) so that I can also adjust for some pods. Or at least, see if they're even warranted at this juncture.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The plugs were on the dark side and a little wet. Probably rich, huh? Also, when I look into the exhaust ports of the head, there's alot of carbon buildup.
More signs of being rich?

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
The plugs were on the dark side and a little wet. Probably rich, huh? Also, when I look into the exhaust ports of the head, there's alot of carbon buildup.
More signs of being rich?
Not necessarilly rich, no! And it is common to run a header without pods. With your vacuum assisted carbs, pods are NOT a viable option! Stick with the setup thats on the bike and use a K&N air filter in the air box and youll get all you want out of that bike!:wink:

·
Registered
145 Posts
The ELR, which came with a Kerker KR and a stock airbox, came with the EXACT brass that a J model did. Pod air filters ON THAT BIKE provide NO performance improvement. Take it frome someone who has wrangled one for 29 YEARS.

apparently rob muzzy wasnt a fan of stock airboxes....:mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not necessarilly rich, no! And it is common to run a header without pods. With your vacuum assisted carbs, pods are NOT a viable option! Stick with the setup thats on the bike and use a K&N air filter in the air box and youll get all you want out of that bike!:wink:
Now I have to struggle with getting the airbox boots back in place.:icon_frow
Man, those things were a PITA to get out. 'Course, it was 50 degrees in the shop that evening. Maybe a little heat would have softened them up. If you say keep the stock box Z, then it stays.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
apparently rob muzzy wasnt a fan of stock airboxes....:mrgreen:
And he wasn't a fan of STOCK CV carburetors either.

Depending on when in the season it was either Keihin CRs, Lectrons or Blue Magnums.

The bike in Keith's picture had Blue Magnums.

Want to run Pods on a J? Better have a grand.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Now I have to struggle with getting the airbox boots back in place.:icon_frow
Man, those things were a PITA to get out. 'Course, it was 50 degrees in the shop that evening. Maybe a little heat would have softened them up. If you say keep the stock box Z, then it stays.
Get with the program and make the tool! Makes it easy, very easy.....

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
That tool is making it into my box as well. I actually saved that pic so I can copy it.

Applied for the patent too. :biggrin:

·
Registered
359 Posts
That tool is making it into my box as well. I actually saved that pic so I can copy it.

Applied for the patent too. :biggrin:
You can have the patent :wink: just take over from me to advise newbies how to make it easier to remove/replace carbs, I grow weary (but that darn tool really works!)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts