Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my ninja 250 wouldn't start so i jump started it from my car, i didn't know i had to have the car off. Well, it runs fine when jumped (tried it with car off, runs fine when jumped that way too) but once its off the jumper cables i don't even get power. what should i do?

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
Unlike jumping a car from a car The jumper car has to be off when hooked to the bike. After you jumpstart the bike it should run for awhile. First choice would be is charge the battery with a charger, but then we wouldn't be posting here now. If you're not getting juice to anything check the fuses. If the battery doesn't hold a charge then it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just checked the 30 amp fuse, its good. i'm gonna go get a voltmeter and check the battery. i should at least be getting the oil pressure and nuetral light to come on even with a somewhat dead battery though right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more info, when the bike was running by itself after i took the jumper cable off it was running horribly and the tach seemed to be polorized. at idle it would be at 11000rmp and when reved it would sound like crap but the tach would show the rpms go down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when in the off position it has 12.2 volts. when i turn the key to the on position it drops to 0. dead battery or is something draining it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i'll start tomorrow by trying a new battery. i hope thats all it is, but that thing the tach was doing was really wierd i hope i didn't mess up my electrical system. would it do that if it was barely getting power from the battery? lights were also very dim.

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
It's very possible, like I mentioned, get your battery charged & tested. I'm thinking that's all it is. You did say it ran fine while it was hooked to another battery. If your battery is bad then the alt won't keep up with it. One other test you will need to do is test the output while running with a known good battery, then it should be around 14 volts.

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
If he's showing zero at the battery itself when under any load, then it's blown a cell, no doubt about it.

I used to work part time at a battery/alternator shop, and I've seen this a few times.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
i did the same after draining my battery. i tried to jump from a car (the car was off) and it would start and when i unhooked everything it wouldnt keep. i threw the battery on a charger let it sit until it said it was charged...3 months or later the battery is like new.

·
Jason C
122 Posts
Lesson learned I hope. A battey tender only cost about 20 buck. Save yourself and pick one up. I had the same issue on my 84 Honda a few years back. The good tenders will let you know when something is wrong with your battery and eliminate all the worries.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Most bikes won't run on a dead battery for any length of time, even when jumped. You have to charge the battery for a minimum of a couple hours on 2amp before there will be enough juice in the battery for the bike to maintain.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts