Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I've posted a few items this year, but never really got to say hi to everyone, and tell you all how much I've enjoyed this forum. I've been riding, on and off, for the last 30+ years. And, like a lot of guys, I sold my last bike about 15 years ago. I didn't want to, but I had some young children who I loved very much, and since my time was very limited, I chose to spend it with them as much as I could. I never regretted that decision, but it's time to get back into saddle. The trouble is, these days, bikes are so polarized, and you can't just run out and buy a nice UJM anymore, with the intention of customizing it to your needs. The current sport bikes are awesome machines, but their use is limited. I don't blame people for loving them, but I tend to drift more toward the recreational rides, with an occasional trip thrown in. I used to love motorcycle camping, which a lot of riders don't seem to be into these days.

As a result of my exposure to this forum, I've learned a lot about the Ninja 500R. Since my last bike was a Honda 900F (I STILL kick myself for selling that beauty), I never thought I'd consider going back to a smaller bike. However, at this point, I'm giving serious consideration to the 500 Ninja, along with the SV650, the new '05 ZZR600, Katana 600/750. The surprising performance of the little Ninja, along with its low price and insurance costs, have kept it in the hunt so far. Especially since I've gotten a look at the black '05 model.

Just for the record, my past bikes have been:

1971 Yamaha 350 R5
1972 Honda 500 Four
1977 Yamaha 650 Twin
1982 Honda 900F

I've had some great memories on motorcycles. My wife and I had our first date on a bike. Ive ridden through Death valley, up the coast highway in California, and all throughout the Southwest, including Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and of course, California. I live in New Mexico these days, which is a bikers paradise. I hope to get a new bike within the next few months.

And if I wind up getting a Ninja 500R, it'll be all your fault.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Glad to see you made it back to the hobby... Every summer without one was a reminder of how much I missed the wind in my face and the exhiliration of twisting the throttle open!

Good luck in deciding on a new bike, but don't discount some of the clasics either. There are many that would fit the build of sport tourer.

·
Registered
837 Posts
sounds like you've done your homework on these bikes...check out all the rides and you'll find one that fits you just right...

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What Classics

To 1Adam12:

I'm definitely keeping an open mind. BTW, when you mention the classics, what specifically are you talking about?

To JT:

I live in Albuquerque. I like Socorro, especially that cool mid-town plaza area. Do they still have that little coffee house just off the plaza?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
yep Martha's is still there, and they're doing great. I was just there since two of my best friends have jobs there :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
2005 BLACK 500R

Has to be the Black 500R...it's just way to nice...the blue is okay...but the black one really sets things off. I'd like to polish the sides on the rims...and see what that would do for it... Welcome to the FORUM!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts