Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Carl and I just purchased a 1981 z440 LTD. I bought the bike for $500 and it's in great shape. The carbs are out of sync, and it needs some TLC but other than that it's great.

Just wanted to say Hi.. Are there any other NE Ohio KAWI riders?

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Welcome Carl!

This forum is a great place to learn all about your bike. One word of warning - post pics of the bike quick. Around here, if there ain't pics, it didn't happen! :)

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
Very nice! The Kz 440 was my first and second bike. I spent some time on the carburetors to get mine running good. I sold mine to a really good friend and maybe I'll get her back some day.

Welcome to the forum. Stay a while.

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey

Thanks guys!

I am new to bikes, never having owned one before. This bike was a great deal, and the style I wanted, so here I am.

Carbs need synced - would a Kawasaki dealer be able to do this? I'd love to watch them or someone do this so I know how.

Bike needs a new battery, and is having a bit of trouble starting when jumped. It does start but dies instantly when I take the jumper cables off - is this normal with a dead battery? As I said I'm completely new to bikes so I may sound like a moron. Just trying to learn.

The bike, visually is in GREAT shape for an almost 30 year old bike.

I think I am going to lower it a bit, as I am only 5'5".

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Nice scoot! Look forward to hearing more about it.

Welcome to the forum!

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Welcome. There are a lot of us Ohioans here. We ususally get together a few times a year and ride into WV and southern Ohio. YOu should join us.

That's quite the biker babe you got there! A few more years and mine will have her own bike.

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love too! If I am feeling confident enough, I'll be there.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
Thanks guys!

I am new to bikes, never having owned one before. This bike was a great deal, and the style I wanted, so here I am.

Carbs need synced - would a Kawasaki dealer be able to do this? I'd love to watch them or someone do this so I know how.

Bike needs a new battery, and is having a bit of trouble starting when jumped. It does start but dies instantly when I take the jumper cables off - is this normal with a dead battery? As I said I'm completely new to bikes so I may sound like a moron. Just trying to learn.

The bike, visually is in GREAT shape for an almost 30 year old bike.

I think I am going to lower it a bit, as I am only 5'5".
Instead of jumping your bike off, either put the battery on a charger or take it to get tested at your local auto place.

Carb sync is not too difficult. You can do it either with the bike running or with carbs off the bike.

Removing the carbs is kind of hard, but it probably needs doing to make sure the bowls and jets are clean.

There's a lot of great info here: Kawasaki Twin Owners Forum

and here: kz400.com.

They have loads of diagrams, pictures, how tos and links to people who still sell parts for bikes of that vintage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts