Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Biker Chef
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assumed my fork seals were toast. Started to leave a thin layer of oil on my fork. I was ready to spend some time to replace them.

HOWEVER...

Got a great trick from my brother. Slide an oiled film negative between the fork seal on the fork itself, on a 45 degree angle and as you slide it around the fork, slowly lift it out.
Well the crap that came out was pretty amazing. Even more amazing is that the seal no longer leaks! It took me about 10 minutesper fork to do the process, and give everything a thourough cleaning.

All in all, 20 minutes compared to 3-4 hours to replace the seals.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
That's a good idea. I read someplace that a single wrap of masking tape around the tube, above the seal, will do it to. You have to pump the forks to get the seal to pass over the tape and it will pick up the dirt.

·
see ya Thursday
279 Posts
thats a good trick I have to try it, my brother and I got a 82 yamaha 650 for free we got it running just fine but the one fork leaks didn't want to spend money on a bike thats rode part time that will be great if it works thanks for the tip

·
Biker Chef
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's a film negative?...:biggrin:

:cool:
I know eh. I better stock up on them while I can.

On a further note, I changed the fork oil today, from the old 10w that was in there to Bel-Ray 15w.

The drastic improvement in handling is a rather welcome surprise.:-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts