Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first bike and i have a few questions about it, if anyone knows alot about this bike please let me know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its my first bike so i dont know to much about it and i dont have a owners manual yet so.. what kind of oil does it take and how do i check it? also the oil light comes on when i turn my key but turns off when i start the bike. does that mean the oil is fine? and also how high should i run the bikes RPMS? or in other words when should i be shifting? i grew up riding dirtbikes so i can shift well but not sure at what RPM's

·
Registered
522 Posts
Use a full-synthetic motorcycle-specific oil 10W-40 and ensure it is API SG, SH or SJ rated and JASO MA (small-print, label on the back).

Sight-glass for oil-level is on right-hand side in clutch-cover.

The oil-light should do that yes.

As for riding it, these bikes are on the lively side of lively with a potent engine and flighty handling, bumpy roads under power you'll feel like it wants to lose you. Great fun but takes some building up to, dirt-riding will be decent grounding for a bucking bike but not the raw-power.

Bubba is right about them not being a beginners bike but you've got it now :wink:

Take your time and feel your way, nobody can really advise when you should change-up or how high to rev it, get some miles in on quiet-ish roads. They can be pootled along but soon enough can take control if you let them.

Best of luck and enjoy yersen, they are brilliant things and becoming a cult-classic :mrgreen:

PS Buy a workshop-manual

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks and that is very helpful. and i have had to fill the cooling fluid up twice after riding for about 500 miles. is that normal?

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Bubba is right about them not being a beginners bike but you've got it now :wink:
Even so, best move would be to park it and buy something reasonable to learn on first. Doesn't sound like the guy has had the MSF course...

thanks and that is very helpful. and i have had to fill the cooling fluid up twice after riding for about 500 miles. is that normal?
No...not normal. Its not normal for your car to go through coolant that fast...your bike is no different. You need to determine where its going...is it leaking? Is it burning? Is it boiling out? Leaking and boiling out should be obvious. Burning, you'll want to look for white smoke from the exhaust. Blue smoke is oil, black is fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i understand how badass this bike is and i grew up riding and racing dirtbikes. i been riding this bike and doing just fine...with that aside the coolant is not leaking because i looked for that, that was my first thought and i cant tell if there is white smoke..

·
Registered
522 Posts
When you say 'fill up' did you mean the whole system via the radiator-cap or just the expansion/catch-tank?

If you are losing water and you don't think it's a leak then it could be radiator-cap faulty or head-gasket-fault. You'd hear or see coolant bubbling and blowing out after a run or when warmed up on stand if this was the case.

·
Gotta love the zx10
235 Posts
Nice bike I just got an 05 last sunday. Definitely recommend a manual. I used to race 125's and 250's but with age comes no more time for dirtbikes. The basic principles apply to working on these but the fuel injection sets it apart from the dirtbikes.. unless those are fuel injected now... they weren't when I raced.

Crymler makes a really good book, I have one for my zx7 I'll be getting one for the 10r soon along with some other mods.

Enjoy the bike. Post some pics too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone knwo where i could download a owners manueal? i got a service manual but cant find a owners manueal. i dont have the money to buy one right now so any help would be greatly apreciated!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do understand the concern for beginners on bikes but any bike will do 20-30-40 MPH as long as that individual is familiar with throttle control.
I would advise anyone beginners or not to take a cycle class. Just my thoughts :)
:confused: This is a recipe for disaster :confused:

The ZX-10R is NOT a beginner's bike...of any kind.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Not to be contrary, but the problem isn't that the bike CAN be driven reasonably. The problem is that the bike can go from being reasonable to holy crap in about an 1/8th of the throttle turn. That's a hard bump you weren't expecting, or sliding back on the seat, or a hard left turn. It's a really good bike, and people that I know that ride them love them, but I don't know any of them that would recommend it as a starter bike.

Since it's lowing coolant, this might be a good time to pick up an OLD F7 (or similar) that can be run into a couple of trees without fear of wrecking something you really want to riding later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts