Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
Nice bike!

Let's start with the clutch. You say it stalls which seems odd. With the clutch lever pulled in and you putting it into first gear with the engine running, do you hear a grinding noise first?

What happens if you put it into first gear with the engine not running and then you try to push the bike with the clutch out, and then with the clutch lever in?

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
Ok, start with a new cable.

The clutch dragging is likely due to clutch plates that stuck together due to long term storage.
You can usually free the plates up without any disassembly, by snapping the clutch lever in and out while riding the bike, or by kicking the engine over with the lever pulled in and the bike in gear.

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
A quarter of an inch of movement should be enough to operate the clutch. The cable needs a bit of free play at the lever and as soon as the free play is used up, you should feel strong resistance from the clutch springs.

My preference is always for OEM parts from my dealer or from a third party like Partzilla. I avoid cheap knock-offs from China etc.

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
That's my opinion, yes. When bikes are stored for long periods of time, the clutch plates tend to glue themselves together and won't release. In a worst case scenario, you will have to take the clutch apart, but I would only do that after a valiant attempt to free it up without disassembly.

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
Ok good work and great pix. Study the attached diagram and look for missing or incorrectly assembled parts.

Pay particular attention to the ball (item#12). This ball is commonly lost because people pull out the clutch rod (yes it is normal for it to come out easily) but they don't notice the tiny ball stuck to the end of the rod so of course it falls off and gets lost.

If the #12 ball is missing, your clutch cannot work properly. The parts list says it is a 7/32" steel ball that you can buy from any bearing supply vendor.

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
Yes #15 should just pull out once you have access to it. Part #10 is the clutch rod oil seal and I can see it in one of your photos.

If you remove #15 and are able to push a thick wire or skinny rod all the way through to the other side and no ball appears, then you know you are missing the ball. The ball should have been greased and as such may be stuck in the hole, but often it sticks to one clutch rod or the pusher, and then gets lost.

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
Yes, your red arrow points to #10, the oil seal. I cannot see the entire clutch arm mechanism that pushes on the clutch rod from the LH side case. Presumably it is still mounted inside the side case and not visible, but if you have that mechanism then yes it looks like just the ball and #9 is all you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts