Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new 2009 Black Nomad Wednesday in Hattiesburg, Ms. and I am one happy camper! The purchase was subject to a test ride but the second I threw my leg over it I knew I wanted it. The test ride merely confirmed it. The bike fits me like a glove. It looks similar to the 2005 Nomad I had but the differences in ergonomics are amazing. I had to put risers on the '05, a Gel Pad in the seat, and the gas tank seemed four feet long. The '09 feels much more compact and at first felt almost cramped, but the 120 mile ride home proved that it fit me perfectly. The bars are perfect for me and the seat is the most comfortable stock motorcycle seat I've ever sat on; no aftermarket items necessary here. The bike fits me as though they took my measurements and custom made it just for me; I'm 5' 10" tall @ 194 lbs. and have a 30" inseam.

I had the dealer install Kuryakyn Iso grips and have backordered saddled bag liners, and the rear turn signal light module that turns them into driving/brake/turn lights. I'll get a rear luggage rack and a light bar as soon as someone starts producing them. Kawasaki wants $450 for their light bar but I don't like it as it drops the turn signals like the Harley's which I think is ugly, and their rear luggage rack is about the size of my open palm and is for no more than 5 lbs of weight.

Finally I'm able to flatfoot at a stop light and now I can actually look forward to stops. I am also utterly amazed at how the bike handles; I can whip it around parking lots like a little Sportster and the balance is dead on. It negotiates turns like it's on rails and maintains it's head with dead accuracy....unbelievable for a 848 lb. Cruiser!

There is a loud clunk when shifting up in several of the lower gears, but there is no whine except a slight whine when downshifting in the lowers, but neither bother me...maybe because I'm slightly hard of hearing. The muffler sounds great and after just several hundred miles has an even deeper growl; I love it, possibly after hearing the muted hum of the Wing for several years.

There's also the heat issue....it puts off lots of heat when stopped, but let me say that it's been in the lower eighties with humidity in the nineties all this week and I have sweated just standing outside in the sun. The heat will be welcome this winter but I do suspect it will be somewhat uncomfortable in the summer. I'll remove the lower shields and open up the lower windshield piece and maybe It want be too bad.

Do I think I made a good choice...you bet! Anyone want a concurs 2006 Titanium Goldwing with only 21,000 miles and several thousand dollars of accessories....at below NADA book? :lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is a loud clunk when shifting up in several of the lower gears
BigMac: Preload the shifter. Big twins tend to clank a lot when shifting. Hold a little upward pressure under the forward shift lever (or a little downward pressure on the heel lever) right before you shift... Less travel for the gearing, less noise. Practice it - you'll get so good that you won't even hear yourself shift.

Congrats on the ride. Of course, you're going to get flamed for not posting pictures....

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh yeah. Congrats on doing the color research as well. Black can be scientifically proven to be the fastest color. Something about the atomic weight of the paint, less resistance to air-flow, and overall darn good looking color. But, I'm not biased in any way and received no compensation from the "Black is the fastest color" lobby.

:lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The weather has been too yucky for pictures and there are leaves all over my drive. I'll post some as soon as I can clean up the drive and when the sun comes out again...maybe tomorrow!

·
Boomer Sooner
120 Posts
enjoy the new ride, Nothing quite like that first ride home on a new bike. Hope the weather allows you to get a few miles on her. I have almost 6K on my 1700 2T, I still smile every time I get on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Safe-------------------------------------------------------------

·
Pass Me Safely!
72 Posts
Congratulations! Enjoy the ride, I agree that the 1700 Nomad is a great ride. I also agree with you about the heat but I understand larger engine give off a lot of heat among all the other makes too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took the wife out for lunch today and made a country loop back home, for a total of about 70 miles. The sky was beautifully blue and the temp was in the sixties....perfect motorcycling weather. I set the rear shocks on the fourth setting and no additional air; I was surprised at how well it rode. I was prepared to buy a Kawi pump but now I'm not sure I need one. The display showed over 36 mpg for the ride. With slightly less than 300 miles on the odometer the pipes are getting throatier by the mile! I love it!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.