Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new 07 900 Custom is about to become baffeless!:eek:

Why not do this? And reasons as to why!:biggrin:

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
There was a guy that did his and posted about it a while back.
Said he didn't like the sound once he did it, the tone was too harsh or something like that.
Ended up going back to some stockers he picked up from ebay for a song until he could afford some HK's.

I wish I could remember the title of that thread. :|

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the baffels on the Shadow Spirit I had and it sounded ok but not what I was expecting. So Im wondering if its going to be like that on the Kawasaki.. Wasted my time doing it as far as I am concerned. Ended up getting aftermarket pipes, to get what I wanted in sound. It sounded like tin! Best I can describe

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Just a thought, but there's a 1500 "fix" from the VROC site called the "Piver Punch". Take a long rod, stick it down the pipe, and beat it until it breaks through the inner cover. I did that on an old VX twin I had. it made modest changes to the sound, just enough to give it a bit of rumble, but not loud at all. Depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Seems to me that there's still restriction from the goats belly. Does the 900 have one of those like the 1500? That's why I didn't do it on my Vulcan and just went with new pipes.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
I've never seen or heard about anyone having anywhere near satisfactory results screwing around with stock pipes. In all the cases I'm personally familiar with the bikes all sounded like $h!t afterwards and performance suffered.

It's your bike and your call, but I'd be willing to bet that if you do it you will eventually replace them with some aftermarket pipes anyway. So why ruin a perfectly good set of stock pipes?

Bruce

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep that waht I am wondering about I did end up with new pipes on the Shadow, and **** it sounded good

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
I've never seen or heard about anyone having anywhere near satisfactory results screwing around with stock pipes. In all the cases I'm personally familiar with the bikes all sounded like $h!t afterwards and performance suffered.

It's your bike and your call, but I'd be willing to bet that if you do it you will eventually replace them with some aftermarket pipes anyway. So why ruin a perfectly good set of thousand dollar stock pipes?

Bruce "elr658's hero" McCrary

So here are the talking points.
1. Your bike will sound like stir fried azz.
2. Your bike will run like parboiled azz.
3. It will cost you a G Whiz to repair your vandalism.

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Save yourself some grief and go with after market pipes. I have never heard any bike sound right when the baffles are punched out for some reason.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so far the consencus is do not do it! Dont want it to sound like ****!
Want it to sound ggggggggggggooooooooooooooooooooooooD!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts