Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I`m new here. I recently purchased a 03 Vulcan 1600 Classic. The bike was bought new by me as a left over. The question I have concerns the recalls. Apparently the oil filter problem only occurs on some bikes. Should I worry? I`d hate to leave my bike at the dealer for a week or so. Is there something I can do myself? Also I`ve been reading some past threads and there have been some mention of a reed valve removal. What is this and should I do it?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Jim:

The oil filter issue has to do with the spin-on type filter failing due to high pressure. This reportedly occurs typically at start-up and at conditions which the oil has a high viscosity (cold temps). Revving the engine when cold may contribute to the failure.

The "fix" is to replace the spin-on unit with a cartridge type. Check to see what you have. If you have the spin-on, check your dealer as to your S/N and the Kaw recall recommendation.

As to reed valves, I assume your bike's exhaust is stock so there is no need to fiddle with the reeds. The reed valves are part of the air injection system. On the 1600, there are catalysts in the mufflers that assist in reducing hydrocarbon emissions by burning unburnt HC from the engine. To do so effectively, air is introduced in the exhaust passages via the reed valves (one way valves) during deceleration. The pulsation and negative pressures that exist in the exhaust stream allow air to be drawn through the reed valves and into the exhaust stream. The extra oxygen with the unburnt hydrocarbons burn at the catalyst allowing for a cleaner exhaust. However, should you (like me) decide to replace the exhaust with a less restrictive (and louder) system without a catalytic converter, the excess air with the unburnt HC will ignite at elevated temperatures and intermittently backfire. Not a pleasing exhaust note...so, plugging or removing the reed valves is the "cure" for popping and backfiring when one installs an aftermarket exhaust. Also, just to complete this discourse, some folks (like me) also modify their fuel injection (or carburetion) system due to the leaning effect the less restrictive exhaust gives. Although the Kaw 1500 (and perhaps 1600) intakes are more restrictive than the exhaust so fuel mods are not always absolutely necessary with aftermarket exhaust.

Whew, that was a mouthful...does that make sense?

T-man

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I drive a 2003 Classic 1500 and had the re-call work completed on it at the dealer.

They ordered a tool and parts to do the work. It consists of a spin on type canister that the oil filter and parts(2 seals, and a small bracket) fit inside of. When it's time to change oil and filter you can use a wrench to back the canister off and then remove the filter and parts and simply replace them.....then spin the canister back on tight and your done.

The oil fliters are not cheap. I paid $11.00 at the dealer. No more spin on's like we are use to and can find most anywhere for alot less $$$. :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thanks for the reply. I just hate the idea of oil leaking from the filter on to my back tire at 70mph. I also like the spin on filter but I guess that I`ll have to do the recall. Oh well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts