Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, all!
I just got hooked on riding a motorcycle. I've always been an avid bicyclist and casual small dirtbike rider. When it comes to vehicles, mostly I've been focused on antique trucks and 4x4's. Never had time for a motorcycle. My brother has been riding big cruisers like Harleys and Victorys for decades. He's been trying to get me to buy a bike and I finally did. I came across a great deal on a 1983 Spectre 1100. I think. From what I can tell, it is a Spectre that has been customized. It's been repainted, engine isn't gold, and some chrome added. Maybe half LTD? The vin matches the title, but there's nothing under model.
I'm not an expert, so here is what I can tell you. It has a 4cyl, shaft drive, rear air shocks, and the correct gauges for a Spectre. The engine # is KZT10AE016872. I tried running the vin (not engine #) on the Kawasaki site and a couple others, but they didn't verify anything but the year.
I bought it from a college kid who owned it for a few months, so whoever customized it was before him. The bike is in great shape. Runs good, very clean, nice paint, and seat is new. Hard to believe it has 50,000 miles on it.
No matter what, I dig this bike. I took it out today to see what it was like. Just on some back roads, not highway. Gotta get used to something this big & heavy. I will take a riding course. After getting a feel for making it turn, I opened it up a little. It pulls good and is stable. Never got over 50. Rode for about an hour until I couldn't feel my fingers. I'm in Colorado at 5000'.
Scott
SUNP0057.JPG
SUNP0057.JPG
IMG_20210221_130536989[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the forum Scott, great bike ,plenty of help here , even I'm right some of the time:whistle:

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
Welcome Neo49!
If you head on over to Cycle Chaos with your frame number you can probably identify your bike there. If not, you can post your numbers here and we can try to help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure you know a lot more than I do! The vin is JKAKZBD19DA005222. I would like to know if it really is a Spectre. Then I would be bummed a little because it doesn't look like one. Not gonna stop me from liking it, though.
I briefly checked out Cycle Chaos. It showed wiki pages first. Guess I have to enter discussion? May go check it out more. I'm sure someone here can help me with the vin.

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
Based on what Ropp posted it sure looks like yours is indeed a 1983 Spectre but someone has swapped the painted fender for the chrome one, changed the pipes and added a fairing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Thanks! Nice to know what it is for sure. I don't mind all the non stock stuff. The PO went through a lot of work changing everything. Still a great looking bike. Now I just need warm weather so work will slow down giving me time to get a license.
I double checked the bike, and it does have a 9 between D1 and DA. Build date is 7/82.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so CycleChoas is basically a motorcycle encyclopedia. I read through it better this time. Found the vin info. Looks like I have the original engine and probably most other parts. Bet it was fun stripping all the gold off!
Thanks, WFO-KZ.

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
Cycle Chaos is an excellent resource. I wish I remembered the Kawasakimotorcycle.org member who first introduced me to Cycle Chaos, so that I can give them credit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops! Sorry, Ropp. When you first replied, I looked through trying to find VIN not frame#. You gave it to me & I spaced. I deserve a lashing. You are the man!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts