Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got my bike last night. Its a 93 ZX-7. It needs some work, so hopefully I can get some answeres here. Idont know a whole lot about crotch rockets, my dad and all his mates are into Harleys. They're a little dissapointed to say the least. Ive always loved the way Ninjas looked. So im just saying g'day.

I also have an LT1 powered Fiero, so I have an odd sence in vehicles:)

Oh, im 20 to.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Pick up a service manual for your bike when you get a chance. It will save you lots of headaches and create them when you don't get it!

Other good manuals are the Haynes and Clymer. I tend to use the Service Manual and the Hanynes more often.

Congrats on the bike

An Lt1 can fit in a Fiero...Whew that must be a ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I can't believe you got that LT1 to fit in that small space. The V6 or Straight 6 that was in there was cramped to start with. I remember all the mechanics would moan about working on them and then they would overheat all the time....

Back to moto land,

Muzzy is an awesome pipe and in CF you will have a very light pipe. My guess is around 3.5 - 4 pounds????? Are you getting the titanium headers too?

Ok, so you have a 750 with 17" rims.... When you get a chance to tinker around a couple of real nice upgrades would be...

1. Ohlins 46 HRC
46mm monotube shock absorber with hose mounted external reservoir, for improved cooling that gives more consistent damping and longer damper life.

• Adjustable rebound and compression damping.
• Mechanical spring preload adjustment.

2. Progressive springs for the forks - check your service limits on your springs and if they need to be replaced - here you go....

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

3. Magnesium (Dymag, Marchesseni)or Carbon Fiber (Blackstone Tek) rims

4. Being an auto guy - you probably already know the K&N filters and Dynojet kit.

It's only money, but with a car like you have. I'm sure overtime we'll see a few of these mods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1Adam12 said:
I can't believe you got that LT1 to fit in that small space. The V6 or Straight 6 that was in there was cramped to start with. I remember all the mechanics would moan about working on them and then they would overheat all the time....

Back to moto land,

Muzzy is an awesome pipe and in CF you will have a very light pipe. My guess is around 3.5 - 4 pounds????? Are you getting the titanium headers too?

Ok, so you have a 750 with 17" rims.... When you get a chance to tinker around a couple of real nice upgrades would be...

1. Ohlins 46 HRC
46mm monotube shock absorber with hose mounted external reservoir, for improved cooling that gives more consistent damping and longer damper life.

• Adjustable rebound and compression damping.
• Mechanical spring preload adjustment.

2. Progressive springs for the forks - check your service limits on your springs and if they need to be replaced - here you go....

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

3. Magnesium (Dymag, Marchesseni)or Carbon Fiber (Blackstone Tek) rims

4. Being an auto guy - you probably already know the K&N filters and Dynojet kit.

It's only money, but with a car like you have. I'm sure overtime we'll see a few of these mods.

The bike actually doesnt work right now, so theres plenty of timkering to be had!! I need a complete ignition system. Is Kawasaki the best place to get that? It needs new plugs(best kind?)and a general tune-up. It was sitting for almost 2 yrs. I deffinetly want to lighten this bike. Its a bit overweight. Howmuch weght savings would I expect from changing over to CF rims?Oh, and I have the stock radiator in my Fiero, and I live in GA and it never overheats!!! With the V6(I dont think a straight 6 would fit)it never went above 160 degrees. Thanks for all the little upgrades you mentioned. Right now my focus is getting it running, then a new set of tyres, then I want to respray it. Then I can go like I did in my Fiero :lol:

Forgot, the muzzy was on thebike when I got it, I dont know if headers are titanium. Ill have a peeklater today.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I believe kawi is the only place to find a complete ignition system, or a place like www.bikebandit.com I'd call scrap yards first though, along with ebay, stuff from kawi gets kinda pricey.

Look for some regular 'old NGK plugs, they are some of the best and usually only run like $3 bucks each at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Pull the carbs and let them sit in carb cleaner overnight. Pay attention to the areas where the valves close up and where it pivots from. Thats usually where it will hang up.

CF rims are about 10.5 pounds for front and rear! Not to sure what your rims weighed in at, but I am sure not 10.5. A less expensive approach would be Magnesium rims which would be about 1/2 of the carbons depending on maker.

My guess on the Muzzy is that it is probably stainless then.

Kawa will be expensive for the harness, but at least you start with a known working one. You could definately save money from a salvage yard, ebay and posting in the wanted section - network and post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts