Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed my muzzy exhaust system and ****....that thing is killer!! when i rev it sound like the world is coming to an end...haha...also it's louder than my friends cobra on his cbr....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats on the new exhaust! I still have stocks on my bike, but I plan to put a muzzy or D&D on it eventually. So it sounds good huh! Was it expensive to get? And on what kind of bike?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Muzzy's are just darn throaty! It has a real nice exhaust note and when you open her up....yup wwwwwaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Have fun with the pipe. Don't be surprised if a cop turns his head if you open her up good!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was $410 total and i have a 500r...man everywhere i go it turns heads and sets off alarms..haha...the reason i got the muzzy cuz most peeps said that was the best one to get..im still new at this bike thingy...also what mods should i do next..i was thinking about a k&n filter

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MODIFY

You can go with a K&N airfilter or even an aircone and get rid of the airbox...You should seriously look at rejetting as you are probably running a little lean now. you don't want to be burning out valves...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A. Rejet the bike in either stage 1 or 3. 1 will give you overall range of
power to use in the lows/mids. Stage 3 will give you the best performance.
Keep in mind that you will lose some fuel economy when you do this.

B. Add the K&N filters to let your bike breathe better. In some cases K&N
has a stock replacement for the stage 1's, but if you go to Stage 3 you
will need individual filters.

If you work on your bike, you'll be glad to get rid of the stock airbox as it is in the way and without it - what a difference to work on the carbs!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
What Stage

I would think that you would be the only one to decide upon how good of a rider you really are, how careful you are, If you really need to go all the way depending upon the roads and area that you live in. If you are just commuting on the bike in inner city then stock would be the best, then again if you have some serious time under your seat, and have wornout many pairs of tires, and can race pretty well...then I would.....advise you to chat with one of our moderators about how far to go. bikeaholic, Freakinout, and several other people that can get you as close to your abilities is who you should be chatting with. you can advance your timing....I almopst always tell people to get a racing windscreen over the shorter stock one for better aerodynamics...you can go with rearsets, clipons, shave off part of your rear fender, get some framesliders installed, absolutely go with stickier tires, perhaps lighter wheels, LED's are brighter, safer, get rid of the centerstand and all of the extra weight off of your bike that you don't need and make it aerodynamic as you can in the process. If you have short legs you could even go with an aftermarket lower seat such as the Corbin Gunfighter Saddle. You could go with airpods in place of the airbox, or keep the airbox and modify a path of direct airflow so that it is "forced" into the airbox. you could go insane and replace your kickstand with an anodized hardened aluminum one with a little larger footpad on the bottom of it so it won't sink into the hot blacktop or dirt, mud...go with an aftermarket full fairing...there are SO many things that you CAN do...it's up to what you want and what you do with your bike. Changing gears, front countershaft or rear sprocket will change things dramatically for you too. You want to rip up some city streets and reduce your top end...or perhaps get your speed up to what the big boys are getting...you can even go to BGRacing and they will put you up to something like 57HP (I think that's right) bu changing not only the camshafts, but compression ratio and all inside your very own motor. 140MPH is almost twice the legal Speed LIMIT here in Kansas, yet 6th gear is nice to cruise in for going somewhere across the city or state, especially with the gas prices...I'm not worried about the gas prices as much as wearing out my motor by turning all those RPM's on the open road. I'm rambling on as usual, but go and be an individual in what you want to do to your own bike. A custom paint job is awesome as some of the guys have shown on a 500R. You can get any color chain, almost any color tires, many different types of tires, and all sorts of trick stuff such as Nitrous, water injection, trick lighting like laserlights, glow wire, LED's...set it up more for touring with saddlkebags, tank bag, touring windscreen, leather up the tank, brake and clutch handles...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Right on 1Adam12

Easier to understand than mine...thanks for jumping in...I just love this stuff!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Radar paint

1Adam12...RampRat...what about the purchase of the Special Black Paint we used in the Navy and the AirForce uses of things such as aircraft, IBS, small inflatables, and special vehicles? Is anything like that available for purchase in the outside world? I mean painting my bike black would not hurt my feelings one bit if it meant that I would become somewhat stealth... Batman again...

·
Registered
429 Posts
younggotti said:
it was $410 total and i have a 500r...man everywhere i go it turns heads and sets off alarms..haha...the reason i got the muzzy cuz most peeps said that was the best one to get..im still new at this bike thingy...also what mods should i do next..i was thinking about a k&n filter
Have you already rejetted your bike? For a full aftermarket exhaust, you need to have a stage 1 jet with a stock air filter. If you do K & N hi flo or air pods you need stage 3. Your bike may be running real rich right now if you do not have it jetted yet. If you want to make a Huge difference in the looks of your bike for a small price, get a dremel tool (Or saw or whatever you got) and take off the rear fender. Cut it down a little, get a pair of flush mount signals for the back, some short stalks for the front. I am thinking about getting a clear tailight for mine and some LED neon lights. (green of course to match my bike). I probably will not upgrade to a stage 3 jet and air pods as i planned due to the simple fact that D & D says that their exhaust works best with a stock air filter and stage 1 jet. I am also thinking about an ignition advancer too. I just put a lot of cash into my bike, so it will be a while before I buy anything else with the exception of one thing...I might give this a try http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=2487910962&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
would my bike mess up if i don't rejet it...cuz im kinda short on funds right now cuz of my stupid speeding ticket...and how long can i drive it without rejetting??

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Funds

Stage one is really cheap...but iIF you have to wait then don't be running the bike wide open or cruising at high speeds...running lean around town may not be good...but it is really bad out on the highways when you need the fuel/air mixture set right...You could mess with the needle valve...but if you don't have instructions just wait till you get them with the jetting kit...and till you get it rejetted use the kawasaki airfilter not the K&N or aftermarket..

·
Registered
429 Posts
younggotti said:
would my bike mess up if i don't rejet it...cuz im kinda short on funds right now cuz of my stupid speeding ticket...and how long can i drive it without rejetting??
If you get a dynojet kit, it comes with the parts to do a stage 1 and 3, so if you do stage one for now, you can do 3 later. I believe i payed around $90 for the kit from www.dynojet.com. I took pictures and made better instructions than the ones provided with the kit and posted it to my web page...... www.geocities.com/scottbri409/Dynojet.html.

With a stock air filter and aftermarket exhaust, you will be running rich. the reason is that the exhaust is more free flowing than stock. you will have too much gas and not enough air. A stage on jet is where you install a smaller main jet, put aftermarket needles and springs in, drill a few small holes and adjust the air mixture screws.

If you change to a high flo filter, you will have too much air and not enough gas. With stage 3, you install a larger main jet than stock to allow more fuel to pass through. There is more helpful info in the FAQ section of the forum about carb tuning and etc. Also and advantage of getting a dynojet kit is it comes with a coupon for a free dyno run.

·
Registered
412 Posts
younggotti said:
What it can do is burn your valves. A lot more expensive to fix then re-jetting it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Rejetting is not expensive

It's not expensive to rejet...but if you are not going to be riding on the highway and only around town just wouldn't do any long rides or hi rev's, keep the bike in a higher gear (the RPM's lower than usual like during breakin...)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
DiverDown said:
younggotti said:
What it can do is burn your valves. A lot more expensive to fix then re-jetting it.
Yup, yup and yup...

Go stage 1 to save yourself from buying new air filters $70-100 savings. If you are installing the jet kit yourself, it will go way faster the second time around since you will only be changing out your jets. Save yourself some money and look for the airfilters just before the riding season again and plop them in as a pre-maintenance riding check.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts