Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Motorcycle Nerd
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be heading to the Mountains June 25th, and riding Skyline drive. Cant wait!
I'm staying at the lodge at Big Meadows with my bro-in-law.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Thought you were going to Shenendoah Iowa! lol

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
You'll love it. Lots of great road all over the place.

From your place, you're going to go down through the WV mountains to get there, right? Going across from WV to VA on the back roads are great.

·
Motorcycle Nerd
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly. Im coming 51 to 40 to 219 to 32 to 30. Sounds right. Ive been to canaan and blackwater falls on the bike just never got to Shenedoah.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You will have a great trip. Skyline Drive south of Big Meadows is my favorite stretch. If you want to stretch your legs, Dark Hollow Falls near there is a short and scenic walk if you are into that. The ride out to Seneca Rocks is one of my favorite rides. Smokehole Caverns is worth it if you want to do some touristy type stuff, and is just up the road from Seneca Rocks. The section of 33 coming over the mountains between WV and VA is an awesome stretch of road. Keep the head on a swivel around Harrisonburg, lots of college kids, and traffic can get heavy in general.

·
Motorcycle Nerd
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, we most likely be coming through Harrisonburg arounf 11am on a Friday. So we should be good there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will be up there in June too. My buddy has a place near Staunton and we are going to do some parkway riding. It is always a good trip. Be sure to dismount from time to time and check out some of the views on the parkway.

If your plans allow, check out Oasis in Waynesboro too. They have a $5 dinner special, live music and cheap beer on tap. Doesn't get much better than that after a long day's drive.

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
I camped at Big Meadows and had breakfast at the lodge. Great place with awsome views. Watch out for the bears, I saw 3.

·
Motorcycle Nerd
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We got a package deal at Big meadows (Early bird special). One night stay plus free breakfast for $109.
I dont mind bears, but my buddy is deathly afraid of bears. he is fully aware that we will be going to bear country and says he can handle it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My sister and her family had a property near Shenandoah Park, and the VA game department setup a trap for the local bruins. That summer, they caught and tagged 45 individual bears. They shut down when bear #46 tore up theirs traps.

Yes, it is bear country, remind your buddy they are are generally harmless..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts