Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first bike, so i'm very new to this...but i'll explain what i just purchased.

the bike has 25k miles on it, runs great and shifts fine.

it needs a few small things and i don't plan on riding it much until i get my motorcycle license...and if it sells in the meantime i'd probably consider getting rid of it...in favor of a smaller more beginner friendly setup.

needs a radiator fan, new battery and a chain. while it runs fine and starts, the fan doesn't come on so the temp will rise if you're not careful. this is probably the first thing i'll fix and then i'll do the chain and battery.

i did take it out on i275 tonight when there wasn't any traffic and the bike goes down the road nicely, stops great and was very easy to ride considering i've only ridden dirt bikes before.

i'm interested in what everyone has to say about these bikes...and if anyone would be interested in helping me do the work necessary to make it nicer. i have a lot of experience with cars although i'm very unfamiliar with bikes.

also...i'm curious what kinda mph and trap speed these things normally run and if anyone else on the board has one.

thanks for your opinions...and don't be shy if you have had issues with these bikes before...i don't mind criticism either.

here's a pic

and i purchased the bike for 1000 dollars cash and a beatup old nissan pickup that i had 500 into...so i guess at this moment i have about 1500 into the bike. is that good or bad...as i have no idea...seemed like a good deal for what i was getting...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
1000$ :shock: thats a great deal if the bikes in really good shape. looks to be from the pic. 8)
the 7r is a heavier bike but it will do you just fine if you use your head when riding it. (that goes for any bike)
as for needing a fan, are you sure its plugged in ? are you letting it get hot ENOUGH :?: get a manual and check to make sure it is. you can also check it by jumping the two wires that come from the sensor on the left side of the rad. if the fan works then its the sensor on the rad.
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0404/radiator/radiator.cfm
good luck :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Congratulations! And welcome to the board! That is an awesome deal! I have a 01 zx-7 and love it. Wouldn't get rid of it for anything. a 91 zx-7 was my first bike, so like QKENUF4U said, just use your head when riding. Just cause you have the power, doesn't mean you have to use it, and when you get used to riding, it is there when you want it. It looks like a very clean bike, however I'm pretty sure it has been repainted. Don't remember them making them in blue. Did the previous owner say if it was ever down or not?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bike was repainted a custom blue by the previous owner...it has been laid down twice although there isn't any damage to speak of.

for the most part the bike is in decent shape, the battery needs to be replaced and the fan needs to be replaced.

also...i'm thinking the thermostat could be working improperly...as the temp seems to fluctuate more than i expected. while i was cruising on the highway it stayed around 160-170 and when i was around town it was at 200. maybe it was removed in order to promote coolant flow so i'll have to check on that as well...although replacing a thermostat should be easy enough to do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
zx-7's do fluctuate in temperature a lot, and they do tend to run warm in traffic, they like to be out streching their legs, not doing stop and go stuff. Is the fan not kicking in at all?
I still think you got a sweet deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts