Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...it's a little after 7 am local and I'm up. Very unusual since I'm a 2nd shift guy. Went to bed at 2 this morning.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that a guy is driving at least an hour later today to see if he wants to buy my '04 1500 Classic. So I spent the better part of yesterday cleaning and polishing and remembering why I bought her. It really was love at first sight.

I'm really torn about this whole to sell or not to sell thing. On the one hand I love my Emmie and all the work I've put into her. On the other hand I'm looking forward to something new. I've already been approved for Yami credit, scoped out insurance, and am more than prepared for Monday morning to come so I can order a new FJR1300. I'll get it for a decent-but-not-great price, and we're negotiating about everything else, like extended warranty, free 1st service, now and future gear discounts, etc.

Sometimes, like now, even at 47 yrs old, I get so excited at the prospect of a trip or visit that I can't sleep. I did the same thing when I was a kid.

Wish me luck. I've been lusting for a sport tour bike for years...

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Thought about the FJR1300 awhile back but never could see one except for photos. I was told back then they were a made by order only. I also read that they were a rather compact bike...I still have not seen one on the road.

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think they are made by order, but they tend to go fast. I've checked out the '06 and '07 but I've not seen an '08 in person. I'm gonna try to get a new '07.

It is btw a done deal- the 1500 is sold!

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Congrats on the sale.

That FJR is a reeeeallly nice ride & plenty fast. Put up pix of the new ride when you get it!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It never stops!

So...it's a little after 7 am local and I'm up. Very unusual since I'm a 2nd shift guy. Went to bed at 2 this morning.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that a guy is driving at least an hour later today to see if he wants to buy my '04 1500 Classic. So I spent the better part of yesterday cleaning and polishing and remembering why I bought her. It really was love at first sight.

I'm really torn about this whole to sell or not to sell thing. On the one hand I love my Emmie and all the work I've put into her. On the other hand I'm looking forward to something new. I've already been approved for Yami credit, scoped out insurance, and am more than prepared for Monday morning to come so I can order a new FJR1300. I'll get it for a decent-but-not-great price, and we're negotiating about everything else, like extended warranty, free 1st service, now and future gear discounts, etc.

Sometimes, like now, even at 47 yrs old, I get so excited at the prospect of a trip or visit that I can't sleep. I did the same thing when I was a kid.

Wish me luck. I've been lusting for a sport tour bike for years...
It never really stops man. We like to think we're all grown up but when it comes to something we're passionate about we go all mushy inside and turn into big kids all over again. Enjoy it because if the feeling ever goes away, IMHO, so does the lust for life. And without that we're just a bunch of old men waiting for the grim reaper to show up at our doorstep. Good luck with the negotiating. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
283 Posts
Before you pull the trigger on the FJR try and look at the Concours and ride both in the same day. I am not brand loyal at all, but rode both and the Concours 14 won hands down over the '07 FJR.

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you pull the trigger on the FJR try and look at the Concours and ride both in the same day. I am not brand loyal at all, but rode both and the Concours 14 won hands down over the '07 FJR.
I've already checked out and compared the Honda ST1300, the Kaw C14 and the FJR. The ST is too top heavy and behind the times. If I were about 3" taller and 60 lbs heavier I'd feel more comfortable with the C14. The FJR is the bike for me!

Rest assured HB, I'm not at all insulted by your suggestion. I know you have my best interests at heart, and I really appreciate the suggestion.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Isn't David (Ispeed) selling his FJR?

wait...I have this feeling of Deja-vu, I'm betting we've discussed this before, and my poor aging brain just isn't what it used to be. :|

I just remembered that I forgot something, but I just can't think of what it was. :roll:

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn't David (Ispeed) selling his FJR?

wait...I have this feeling of Deja-vu, I'm betting we've discussed this before, and my poor aging brain just isn't what it used to be. :|

I just remembered that I forgot something, but I just can't think of what it was. :roll:
Yeah, I think he is. But I'm getting a brand-spanking-new-still-in-the-crate black cherry '07 :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you won't be disappointed Russ, congrats ! two things to look at first are a new seat and risers. oh, and a power commander will really smooth out the mid-range.
Thanks! I've been looking at risers, Vista throttle lock, trunk, Corbin seat/locking trunk and eventually maybe a cruise control. I've also been spending a lot of time at fjrforum, fjrtech, etc. so I'm familiar with the throttle spring, the CO2 tweak, the windshield jumper and the throttle cam swap. I'll look into the pwr comm, thanks for the advice.

Haven't heard if the bike's arrived yet or not. Luckily we're supposed to get snow today and rain Tue & Thur so I'm not too anxious about it. I've already cut "a deal" for free storage at the dealer b/c I'm not trailering it out, I'm riding it out!!

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
wow Russ, sounds like you are way ahead of me. :D
i haven't done a power commander on mine, but there is a definite lag in the mid range. a friend of mine has an 05 that is completely stock and he added the PC just to smooth out that mid range. he said it really woke the bike up and it pulls a lot better through that mid range. other than that though, seems like you are worlds ahead of me on research. i never really even had the chance to look into all that stuff, and now the bike is for sale. oh well, time to start researching V2K stuff :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
wow Russ, sounds like you are way ahead of me. :D
i haven't done a power commander on mine, but there is a definite lag in the mid range. a friend of mine has an 05 that is completely stock and he added the PC just to smooth out that mid range. he said it really woke the bike up and it pulls a lot better through that mid range. other than that though, seems like you are worlds ahead of me on research. i never really even had the chance to look into all that stuff, and now the bike is for sale. oh well, time to start researching V2K stuff :D
V2K now, Dave? You giving up the meanie too? Or did Jay just talk you into buying one like his?:mrgreen:

It's bad enough trying to keep up with you now.... I'll have to get a head start so we can arrive at the same time if you get a V2K!:lol:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
hehe, sorry Scott, but you know me. i am not selling the Meanie though, i absolutely LOVE that bike. it just isn't a touring bike, and i do like to tour. gonna sell the FJR cause i don't have enough right wrist control and go with a V2K. planning on setting it up for comfort, including a trailer hitch so i can go back to bringing everything but the kitchen sink on trips. :D

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
Thanks for selling the vulcan

Russ-

Glad you made the decision to sell the vulcan:tongue: . Been having the time of my life bombing around NC in the 50 degree weather. Had you hesitated a little more I might have ended up with 1300 honda, that was the next bike I was on my way to look at after yours. Hope you enjoy the FJR, I know I have been enjoying the vulcan.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Russ-

Glad you made the decision to sell the vulcan:tongue: . Been having the time of my life bombing around NC in the 50 degree weather. Had you hesitated a little more I might have ended up with 1300 honda, that was the next bike I was on my way to look at after yours. Hope you enjoy the FJR, I know I have been enjoying the vulcan.

Cheers,
Dan
Dan!! You found us!! Welcome. I had no doubt you'd enjoy that bike. I loved it but just couldn't do long distance rides. How was the ride home that morning :shock: ? It was like 34* in my driveway when you left. Be sure to look here Full Throttle Magazine for local happenings. Click on "cruisin' calender". Maybe I'll see you on a ride.

The FJR is the one. Did a solo ride to North Myrtle Beach this past Sunday for lunch, 386 miles in one day. It is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I picked it up 1/30 and have 2550-ish on it already. Is this weather great or what?!?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts