Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 04 Nomad.
I am now proceeding with my game plan on Mods :D for this Cruiser and will post the results as they are completed.

My intentions are to:
1) Replace my stock exhaust with new pipes from Cobra (Unfortunately they are on back order till around 16th of September)
2) Install a K&N Air Filter
3) The new Cobra FI2000 Tri Pot Digital Fuel Processor - if nescessary .
4) New Headlight Bulb

Results Wagner LazerBlue #1260/H4BK Wattage 55/60
Go to this web site to get and understanding of how these bulbs work
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandsportinc/wagnerlighting.html

I ordered the bulb from my auto parts store. I got a little discount only paid $8.00. Retail average $11.00. Comparison bulbs are the Sylvania SilverStar $22.49 and Kuryakyn Premium Blue $17.06
Installed the bulb on 9/3. Gee, Took about 10 min. This bulb is definately brighter,easily noticible just with the low beam on, and really lights up with the high beam.

Results K&N Air Filter
Note - The weather conditions for Bronx,NY during Past 3 days have been about same. Temps have been high 70's to low 80's with low humidity.

On Tues 8/31 I installed the K&N Air Filter
(KA-1596 from Motodepot.com $54.95 plus $10.00 freight. Their service was excellent.) The install is very simple. After installation the engine now idled a tad rough. Off the line the bikes exceleration response improved slightly. On the highway you could tell the engines performance was off a little. I wasn't expecting the engine performance to be that sensitive to such a minor change. However,this makes some sense since the K&N Filter is a Hi-Flow Air Filter and is creating a leaner mixture. As a result of this lean mixture condition and after 3 days of riding I've also noticed that the engine is definately running hotter. You know its hotter because you can feel the heat difference from the engine compared to what your used to getting. Now when I turn my bike off the stock pipes are making crackling noises like never before. Almost sounds like its making pop corn. :lol:

Today I am temporarily going to reinstall the stock Nomad Air Filter.
When I get the exhaust in I am going to see how the bike performs first with just the pipes installed. Will post those results when able.

Any experience,imput, or comments would be appreciated :!:
[/u][/b]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm curious as to whether you looked for a 100/80W Lazer Blue or if one is even made. I put a regular halogen 100/80W in my MS headlight. Can't imagine going back to anything less powerful.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Trailryder42

Motorcycle Manufacturers must comply with the Feds regs for Vehicles lighting requirements. I thought I would try to improve the lighting with new technology first. A Cheap test. Wagner didn't offer a LazerBlue in 100W. There are lighting engineer reports that the blue tinted bulbs are not really better. Of course I read about this after I purchased this bulb. I'll repost my feelings on this bulb after I use it for a couple of weeks.

Going with the higher wattage quartz-halogen may be the better way to go even though its for off road. Like who is really going to ask you to remove the bulb to check espescially with the new HID bulbs out now. If it didn't work I could always get a NAPA/Wagner BP1210/H4bk bulb such as the one you use.

Check out this web address: http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.driving/messages/525825.html

This is part of a quote: "There's been a fair amount of research done on the effects of these bulbs on all aspects of headlamp-related phenomena (seeing, glare, etc.). Sullivan and Flannagan of the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, and others, have found that there is no improvement in seeing with either the Sylvania-type (blue coated) or the Wagner-type(Neodymium Oxide) colored bulbs, but -- at equal *intensity* -- the colored bulbs produce significantly more glare (nearly 50% more) than bulbs with clear glass.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K&N Filter

I reinstalled the Nomads original Air Filter Saturday afternoon. Took it on a nice ride. No more lean fuel mixture. Bikes performance back to normal. More than likely will have to get the Cobra FI2000 TriPot when I replace the pipes.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
cobra pipes

Just a quick feedback about Cobra pipes. I have had them on my 03 Nomad FI since late May of this year. The sound is right around where it should be on a touring style bike, but I do have some complaints. The heat shields on these things vibrate like there is no tomorrow. No matter how many times I tighten them, they still chatter. The thing is, the spot where they make noise, changes every time. I have just plain given up on them not chattering. I am waiting for my V&H dual baggers, which are backordered even longer than the Cobras. I have been waiting since late July and they keep pushing the date further. Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cobra pipes

Hi ispeed77

My cobra tappered pipes are being shipped out on Monday 9/13. Hopefully a won't have the same problem you had on my 04 Nomad. I've seen and heard the V&H pipes. They are very popular, have a nice sound, and maintain a great finish. If they made them in the Tappered look or a longer length Slashcut I'd be all over it. For me I found the V&H mufflers look really big.

Hope you don't have to wait much longer on your new pipes.

Thanks for the input.
I'll post the results on my Cobra pipes later on

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
V&H pipes

believe it or not, i went to my shop yesterday and my pipes were in. was in the driveway last night until 9:30 putting them on. definitely a better fit and finish than the cobras. sound is around the same, until the baffles are removed. that is when they get very loud. not sure if i will be able to leave them out, might be too much. i have seen a lot of bikes with the cobras and i know cobra is a respected brand, so i would not worry too much. two quick things. when tightening the heat shield clamps, be aware that even a 1/4 inch socket has the power to break them. number two, when installing the rear head pipe heat shield, keep an eye on the location in reference to the heat shield for the front head pipe. mine were too close and rubbed a spot on the front one. good luck with them, ride safe.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Re: K&N Filter

dfgpilot said:
I reinstalled the Nomads original Air Filter Saturday afternoon. Took it on a nice ride. No more lean fuel mixture. Bikes performance back to normal. More than likely will have to get the Cobra FI2000 TriPot when I replace the pipes.
you already figured it out. bikes are tuned to be lean from the factory to meet emissions. you added LOTS AND LOTS of air which leaned it even more. you will need to jet it up (if carbs) or tune it out with a PC BOX (powercommander or whatever they use for your bike) to really get this right and the most bang for you buck you need an EGA machine and DYNO.
good luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K&N Filter

Hi QKENUF4U,

Thanks for the input.

Hopefully I'll be installing my new pipes next week.

I'am looking to get an Infrared Thermometer to check the engines temps
for before and after installations of new mods that effect engine performance and post the results. Felt the info would be nice to know and I 'd have another toy for the tool box. The increase in engine heat due to the lean mixture created from the K&N Air Filter was way obvious.

Good Riding!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts