Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pricing out the K&N air filter for my classic and it comes in at @ $100.00cdn has anyone just used one of the round k&N s suitable for Harleys or cars I noticed that K&N makes universal filters in various different sizes if anyone knows the part # that would fit the stock airbox let me know I can get one of those for about half the price at my local Canadian Tire store. They often have K&Ns on sale for 20-30% off but because they are an auto parts store K&N won't sell them any motorcycle filters except for harley filters they can get them other M/C filters can only be sold by motorcycle shops and they never go on sale. Any thoughts would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

bert-i'm assuming your filter is on the left side of the bike in which case you would be better off to go ahead and move the filter to the right side and get rid of all the epa junk that connects
the left side filter to the carb - it pulls air from the left side thru a duct between the heads
over to the carb - making the swap is pretty simple - its called the caddmann kit -

check this out:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/caddmankit.htm

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cadman

I've seen the cadman setup and the thing that concerns me is I live in the pacific NW so we get a lot of rain and a lot of time the bike may get stuck sitting in a downpour, with the paper filters exposed like that I'm sure they would get saturated, the other issue is re-jetting I've got Cobra Slashcuts on the bike now they were put on by the previous owner I'm not sure if he had the bike re-jetted, I'm trying to avoid that if possible. The aspect I like about the K&N is that the filters are washable as well. I like the look of the Vulcan with the chrome filter covers on each side, thats why I'm kinda staying away from the coyote setup as well. I'm thinking of somehow getting a little better flow. The other thought I've had is taking some stock covers that can be gotten on E-Bay for cheap and then drilling staggered holes in the sides of them and then maybe using 2 K&Ns similar to the cadman setup but retaining the stock covers. I'm wondering if anyone has done this? It's probably cheaper in the long run just to fork out the dough for the proper K&N but ....Why be Normal :lol:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree!-why be normal!

i like it when folks get creative and your ideas will work thru some experimentation
however,if you increase air flow any substancial amount on the intake you will surley
need to re-jet anyway,not too many of them will run real strong if you don't ,they'll be
way too lean.there are really lots of ways to mod that airbox,and caddmann told me that rain hasn't been a issue for him,but he don't live in the PNW :lol:

since your already piped,i'd go ahead and make the intake the way you want it
but i'd plan on a re-jet if you open it up alot-

the only thing that would concern me about using 2 filters would be the possibility
of the carb sucking dirt from in between the filters if the fit wasn't just right

let me know if you come up with something off the wall :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
K & N's

Check out a Cadmann Kit if you have aftermarket pipes only.
If your bike is stock you will not gain from switching to K & N filters.
Cramming in more air without getting it out not going to help performance.
If you want more info on the Cadmann conversion let me know
Ride Safe,
MOF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts