Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a mule 1000 which was running fine until this week :-(

it was parked up and i notices the battery had gone flat charged up it struggled to start! Eventually got her going and it drives but has severe lack of power and wont climb up my very shallow drive!
As i say it was fine last week !

please help with ideas ! It ticks over and revs in neutral but struggled in drive and reverse

·
Registered
935 Posts
one cylinder's spark plug is flat. Inflate it. I mean replace both of them. Do not clean them. Replace them. NGK DR7EA is fine. I think it calls for D8EA but D7EA is slightly hotter heat range and works fine on these old dinosaurs. If that doesn't solve it, do a compression test. If compression is low, pull the valve cover and perform a valve clearance check. If one or more intake valves is really tight, there's a possibility that the valve faces and/or valve seats are worn out and I suggest adjusting the clearance properly, then run it. If it tightens up quickly (within a couple hundred miles), you will have to remove the cylinder head and replace all 4 intake valves and then double check the seats, the seat contact width (on all 8 valves), guide-to-stem clearance, replace all 8 seals, etc. Basically remanufacture the cylinder head. That is, IF the parts are still available. I've got one that needs a starter clutch, NLA, runs great if you can get it started but it's worthless because it doesn't always run. That and that engine...has to be one of the most complex engines that kawasaki ever made, EN450 based top end on a specifically built Mule bottom end, which is attached to a mule-specific transmission which is attached to a mule-specific differential. And they are no fun to separate them....I've done it a few times and I absolutely hate them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts