Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just purchased a 1982 Kaw Kz 440 LTD for $300 looks great.

The Problem is that it was stored for 20 YEARS with no fluids and the air box and filter are missing.

i have yet to start it. i have just checked to see if it had spark POSITIVE and all gauges and lights even work.

Where should i start to get it ready for the up coming season????:-D

Oil , Fuel and clean carbs ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
All of the above. Replace the air filter, clean the carbs and gas tank, maybe put in an in-line fuel filter, and replace the oil and filter. Check the belt for deterioration. Replace the brake fluid if applicable. Replace the tires. That would be a good starting point. Also, before starting up the bike I have heard it is a good idea to shoot a little bit of oil into the spark plug holes so they aren't scratching on bare cylinder. Post some pictures bro!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
My repair manual has an additional section at the end of the book for the belt drive models, you might want to take a look in the back of yours for that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have yet to clean the carb. spent the day to clean out tank and new fuel lines. new oil , new gas.

i tried to start it with the old battery and just a jump box , no luck it wanted too start real bad but wouldn't (even with starting fluid).

it would also try to start with starting fluid in the carbs but wouldn't!

seems like the carbs dont want to take any gas in. although i could bleed fuel through. it just wont accept any gas

Any suggestions?????????????????????????????????????

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Check to see if you have spark and clean the carbs. Once you open up the float bowl you might see a lot of crap in the starter jets, that might be your problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it had spark previously. i fouled them after trying to start it for like 30 min. i have replaced them since then. how should i approach this task? should i just take the bottom of the carbs off and leave them attached? or take the whole carb off?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I would take the whole carb off the bike. There will still be gas inside the float bowls, so don't turn them upside down over your pants to get at the screws like I did my first time :p take off the float bowls and then the jets are in there, there are two per carb. One is the starter (pilot) jet and the other is the main jet. They are made from brass so make sure not to bust off huge chunks of metal with the screwdriver when taking them out. Soak those in the "high flashpoint solvent" of your choice. I used Toluene. Carb cleaner is made out of Toluene I think, perhaps Xylene. You can get either one of those from a local paint or hardware store in the solvent area. If that doesn't melt all the crap out of there then use something plastic or wooden to GENTLY poke the crud out of the holes. GENTLY!!!! You don't want to change the size of the hole. It's pretty easy to clean out the jets, so you'll have the whole thing done in like 2 hours, give or take. There are tons of guides to carb cleaning, just type it into google or youtube or search for it on here!

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Well got it running took it on I-96 the other day before all the snow fell. it still wont run with the petcock valve turned too ON but it will ride smooth on PRIME.
Thats a vacuum operated petcock. Using small rubber "caps," Block off the vacuum port on the petcock and the vacuum port on the carb that supplies vacuum for the petcock until you have time to remove it and clean it or to install a kit if necessary. Until then, run it on prime, "AND DONT FORGET TO TURN THE PETCOCK TO THE "ON" POSITION WHEN YOU PARK IT!" "ON" is off on a vacuum operated petcock when no vacuum is supplied. Lots of real bad things can happen when a bikes fuel valve isnt turned off or closed overnight!:eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do not have the other piece for my air box or the element i just zip tied some foam from another air cleaner i had laying around for temporary use.

Is that what the small line connecting the second carb to the petcock vale is used for? And i do have that connected. it seems like there is no difference

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.