Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Could any of you fellow 1985 zn1100ltd owners please help? I'm repainting my bike and removed tank decals. Can't find any. I have someone who may be able to make some for me but I need a traced copy on paper of Tank's decals. Can anyone also tell me if ZN700ltd and ZN1100ltd have same size decals? Willing to compensate owner who can help me with an original traced copy. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1985 zn1100ltd/zn700ltd Please Help

Hi,
I have already looked on their website and didn't see any. Just to be sure with them I have just emailed them and asked if they did or where I might find some. Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Try some more with Google, I have seen a webpage that deals with all the OEM Japanese tank/body sticker sets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1985 zn1100ltd/700ltd decals

Hi, I have looked all over google search and didn't find any. Would you happen to know website? Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
Could any of you fellow 1985 zn1100ltd owners please help? I'm repainting my bike and removed tank decals. Can't find any. I have someone who may be able to make some for me but I need a traced copy on paper of Tank's decals. Can anyone also tell me if ZN700ltd and ZN1100ltd have same size decals? Willing to compensate owner who can help me with an original traced copy. Thanks
yes they do just numbers are different
do you know where to get a starter its too hard to bump start it every time and I can't find a starter they are all $500 and I don't got the money for that let me know if you or anyone knows where I could get one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
Hi, Did you ever find the decals you were looking for? I have an 84 ZN1100 That i was looking for decals. I am a graphic artist and I found Images of the decals. They were in poor quality. I took the time to clean them up and I have Good Quality Images that I was going to use to produce the decals with.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Diablo Cycle has quite a few reproduction decals but not for the ZN's. I also have an 84 ZN1100 that I am restoring and plan to paint someday. What is the deal on your images? Are you making them available or produce decals only?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
There were at least 2 different decal styles for the ZN700. DiabloCycles has a decal set listed for the KZ750 LTD & KZ700 LTD, but the KZ700 listing may be an error & it possibly should be ZN700 instead. It looks like it might be correct for the ZN700 or at least for some of them. I couldn't find a good fuel tank pic for comparison, but the side cover decal looks right to my eye & it seems to be for an ebony fuel tank. From EB pics the red side cover decal is slightly different. note: the KZ750 Ltd referenced by diablo is possibly the 750K Twin.

·
Registered
781 Posts
(edited for corrections) Good info Martin. Here are photos of two side covers from my stock. I believe the one with the keyhole is for a 1983 KZ 1100 LTD and the one without is for a 1984 ZN 1100 LTD 1985. I hope these will help anyone who is looking to reproduce decals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Diablo Cycle has quite a few reproduction decals but not for the ZN's. I also have an 84 ZN1100 that I am restoring and plan to paint someday. What is the deal on your images? Are you making them available or produce decals only?
I did a test printing of them on vinyl today just to see how they will look/fit. The problem I am going to have is getting the colors right. I believe I have the shapes pretty close. I will probably tweak them here and there because I'm anal. I have to work on the side cover images yet. I have all of the files at my shop so I can't really show you anything right this minute. I was just making them for myself but I guess I could make them available. I have to get the decal material for an original type decal. I am assuming I can print on it with solvent ink. if not I will have to screen print it. I have never worked with this material except for building models a hundred years ago. It's a work in progress but it's coming along.

·
Registered
7 Posts
(edited for corrections) Good info Martin. Here are photos of two side covers from my stock. I believe the one with the keyhole is for a 1983 KZ 1100 LTD and the one without is for a 1984 ZN 1100 LTD 1985. I hope these will help anyone who is looking to reproduce decals.
View attachment 42082 View attachment 42083
Both of these images seam to be a little different than what is on my 84 zn1100

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hey jbsbeer, its not an easy task making decals, that's for sure. I suspect the slight difference in images that you are finding is due to mine being the Canadian version. Kawi shows different part numbers for Canada vs the USA side covers, although the name of the base colour remains the same, so chances are the shape or colour of the decals is what is different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey jbsbeer, its not an easy task making decals, that's for sure. I suspect the slight difference in images that you are finding is due to mine being the Canadian version. Kawi shows different part numbers for Canada vs the USA side covers, although the name of the base colour remains the same, so chances are the shape or colour of the decals is what is different.
Are you looking for a "dead nuts" spot on exact OE copy? These will be real close and 95% of people would not be able to tell but a perfect exact copy is more time than I'm willing to put in. I brought the test copies home that I made to compare next to my bike. They look pretty good but I want to tweak them up some more. My black outlines are a tad heavy compared to the originals. There are some inconsistencies with the originals that I want to fix but don't know if I should. their outlines are a little off, etc..Probably a mass production thing...
As far as I can tell, I* believe, the original decals had a fine metalic look to the colors. My printer doesn't print metalic inks. I could screen print them if I can come up with the correct colors. The colors will be the biggest deviation from original I'm sure.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Speaking just for me, I am not looking for perfection. I would be fine with the USA colours and it not being exactly like OEM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't found a supplier of decal material that has good reviews that has material big enough for the tank graphics. Would you be interested in the graphics printed on premium cast vinyl? I have used them on several bikes with a nice heavy coat of clear urethane wet sanded and buffed out. The paint and graphics held up great. Better than the tank did in some cases. I could print and contour cut them exactly on white , clear or colored vinyl... Hmmm..I may have just come up with the answer for the metalic problem ...

·
Registered
781 Posts
I am interested, but timing and price will come into play. My focus is to get the ZN roadworthy first and then start on making it look pretty. However my budget has taken a heck of a beating to get just to a first test ride stage. Now it needs two new tires, new fork seals, brakes need work and all of this takes priority over paint and decals.

So I may not be in a position to buy decals for a while. But I would like to see the end result of your restoration, and see what your price will be for a complete decal set.

PS - I have no ideal what premium cast vinyl is. Is this what you will use for your ZN?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My ZN still has good paint so I don't need the decals yet. I have some time to keep trying things to see what I can do. I did use the printed and cut premium vinyl when I repainted my 81 csr 650. results were excellent.. Vinyl is used for vehicle wraps , graphics, lettering, etc. the quality products last much longer than a painted letter job. It is compatable with 2 part urethane paint. there are all kinds of different types , colors, textures, etc. I can print on material up to 64" wide by150 feet long and can cut material up to 74" wide. Your only limit is your imagination. I haven't really thought about price yet but I know I could produce them and make a profit on them at $40.00 a set. I will have to see what other decals are going for.I wouldn't want to be too cheap.... My girlfriend always yells at me for that....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts