Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont know the year,
kawasaki 4x4 300 Klf brand i believe

Back in 2017 the wiring harness was replaced short time after stop working again no power when key it turned on the power position. Even with a jump starter still dead no power. white fuse on top of battery is good any more fuses locations? i need to check. these is my bro in laws was gave to him from hes dads uncle. so im trying to get power so what do i need to do? some pics on bottom of these page i also have the battery charging.. where is the starter relay on these..

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wood Gas Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Composite material

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can u send me Wiring Diagram ? I tryed the starter out by jumpin it motor started to turn over. I'm just not getting any power . i try check the white white and brown wire the both seem dead. that was me trying to jump them off from the battery jump box to the white and brown wire using a jumper wire ...

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Unplug the white wire at the ignition switch.
Set your multimeter to measure DC volts.
Put one lead of your multimeter on the white wire that goes to the battery and the other lead on a good ground, or on the negative terminal of the battery. You should see battery voltage on your multimeter.

Now plug the white wire back in.
Unplug the brown wire from the ignition switch.
Put one lead of your multimeter on the brown wire that goes to the ignition switch and the other lead on a good ground, or on the negative terminal of the battery. You should see battery voltage on your multimeter.

Here is your wiring diagram:
Schematic Font Circuit component Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello I have a voltage light up meter. I hooked to negative and tested the white wire. unplugged from key switch It lite up the wire is good. I also did the same positive side in tested the brown wire. but it never lite up was dead........ but Kevin has a book on the atv i found . I know the brown wire was dead. didnt light up. . so what now? I tested the wite and blk wire going to the regulator rectifier. white was getting power and blk wire was. I taken the 4 small bolts out of the back of the keys witch tested 2 spots on left side lite up. so not sure. what else to do. replace the whole wiring harnesses maybe?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Based on your test, you have a bad ignition switch. Power goes in but does not come out.

You can make up a jumper wire to bypass the ignition switch totally, but don't leave it in place too long.
Just like you should not turn on your keyswitch for long periods of time without starting the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the white and brown wire that I unplugged from the ingtiion switch going back to the battery is what I use a jumper wire touching the wheres together? with a jumper then lights on dash should come on? cause there's no lights on dash are push start nothing it's all dead. was the brown wire supposed to be hot as well light up with voltage ⚡ meter? cause it never did.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
If you jumper the white and brown wires that go to the ignition, it will be like turning the ignition on.

Brown will not be hot until it gets power from white. Normally brown gets power from the key switch. Key switch gets its power from the white wire.

As soon as you jumper white to brown, your dash lights should come on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
first picture is showing white wire is hot . 2nd pic hot wire hooked up to the jumper brown wire. there no power going through the brown wire. even jumped off. I hooked test lite up on negative side battery to test the white hot wire. I use +side positive side battery to test brown wire it is dead. I believe the brown wire is the problem

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Did you find voltage coming out of the ignition switch at the brown wire? We need to make sure that the power coming up the white wire is making it through the key switch and coming out on the brown wire. Do this test with the brown wire unplugged from the rest of the harness.

There could be multiple problems here, and I want to confirm that your switch is good or bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when I turn the key switch on I do have power it just not showing any neutral reverse lights and no start button working like it's dead. the brown wire does have power I hooked from the negative battery side I scrap a little wire back on the brown wire and I turn the key on and it had power as seen in the photos.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Ok great. Switch works fine then. All I can tell you is to follow the brown wire and keep checking for voltage along the way. You may have to unwrap the harness as you may have a broken wire, hidden inside the harness.
It is also possible that your dash lights (neutral etc) have burned out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok great. Switch works find then. All I can tell you is to follow the brown wire and keep checking for voltage along the way. You may have to unwrap the harness as you may have a broken wire, hidden inside the harness.
It is also possible that your dash lights (neutral etc) have burned out.
I know my Starr button down work either when I push the start. nothing happens. I'll prob check the wiring I know I can prob crank it bypassing to the stater solenoid with screw driver it turns motor over. gonna pull spark plug out tomorrow and test for spark while key switch is on and off.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Correction to what I said in my last post:
When you follow the brown wire, check for continuity or resistance, not voltage unless you have it plugged in and the key switch turned on. You have already determined loss of voltage so now you are looking for a broken wire, a bad connection or a faulty device that it is connected to.

Until the brown wire is fixed, nothing else will work. Follow the brown.

According to your VIN you have a 1998 KLF300C. In 1998 that should make yours a C10.
What I cannot understand is in the wiring diagram that I provided (which should be correct) it shows the brown wire going directly to a small box and ending there. That makes no sense to me. The diagram may be wrong or I am missing something obvious.

In any case, you should follow that brown wire wherever it leads you to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked the wiring all the way back I cut off the blk tape traced it all the way back my bro in law check for continuity brown wire all is good but the relay assembly beside starter in the back that all the brown wires run to has no continuity on the end so I bought another one we tested key switch is good to go..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts