Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks. I am new to riding and one of my friends is really pushing me to get a Harley Road King. I am 5'7" and 165 lbs. I wasn't even able to balance his HD road king even with the lowest seat, i was on my tippy toes! Then we looked at Harley Sportsters which was "ok". I saw this 98' Vulcan 800A with 27,000 miles for sale, looks like it is in perfect condition. Beautiful bike. Asking is $2,250. Obviously I need to go take a look at it but would this be a better bike to start off riding?? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money and just want to practice and ride around.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
A Road King is far to big a Bike for a first time ride compounded by your height imho
You need your feet flat on the ground at a stand still whatever ride you get until your confidence has had time to build up.
Road Kings are great Bikes but I would be looking at the VN800 as a first Bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello folks. I am new to riding and one of my friends is really pushing me to get a Harley Road King. I am 5'7" and 165 lbs. I wasn't even able to balance his HD road king even with the lowest seat, i was on my tippy toes! Then we looked at Harley Sportsters which was "ok". I see a 98' Vulcan 800A with 27,000 miles looks for sale, looks like it is in perfect condition. Beautiful bike. Asking is $2,250. Obviously I need to go take a look at it but would this be a better bike to start off riding?? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money and just want to practice and ride around.

View attachment 41918 View attachment 41919 View attachment 41920
Hello folks. I am new to riding and one of my friends is really pushing me to get a Harley Road King. I am 5'7" and 165 lbs. I wasn't even able to balance his HD road king even with the lowest seat, i was on my tippy toes! Then we looked at Harley Sportsters which was "ok". I saw this 98' Vulcan 800A with 27,000 miles for sale, looks like it is in perfect condition. Beautiful bike. Asking is $2,250. Obviously I need to go take a look at it but would this be a better bike to start off riding?? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money and just want to practice and ride around.

View attachment 41918 View attachment 41919 View attachment 41920
Thanks man. I appreciate the honest opinion. The price seems kinda low.. should there be any concern about that? He sent me two videos of it.. seems like it runs fine. He said it's "not loud" which I don't really care about at this time. I can always do exhaust work on it.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
As long as she's been serviced regularly and the Mileage isn't over the moon.
You need to at least hear it running with a test ride if possible..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man. I appreciate the honest opinion. The price seems kinda low.. should there be any concern about that? He sent me two videos of it.. seems like it runs fine. He said it's "not loud" which I don't really care about at this time. I can always do exhaust work on it.
As long as she's been serviced regularly and the Mileage isn't over the moon.
You need to at least hear it running with a test ride if possible..
Yeah mileage is 27,000. 1998. He sent me two videos I was going to try to send it to you but I can't seem to add video attachments

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
You need to host the Video's on a platform, I use Mediafire it's free or there's YouTube if you have an account again free.
Then attach the link in your message,

MediaFire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah mileage is 27,000. 1998. He sent me two videos I was going to try to send it to you but I can't seem to add video attachments
You need to host the Video's on a platform, I use Mediafire it's free or there's YouTube if you have an account again free.
Then attach the link in your message,

MediaFire
Gotcha. I registered and added the two videos. I THINK it worked. Not sure though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the cell phone video sucked. He said i can take it on a brief test ride. Alot of sellers are telling me they are hesitant to let me test ride them due to a possIble accident/damage.

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
Here's my take- go for it!! I laid off from biking as many of us do with marriage and young kid. When I decided to restart and went shopping I stumbled upon a Kaw dealer going out of business. I bought a new 2003 800B for $5k. It wasn't really what I was looking for but it was impossible to turn down. And it was the best bike for me at the time. Yeah, I caught crap from the Harley buddies but you know, I didn't care since none of them was willing to put up the $$$ for the bike they wanted me to ride. I had a blast on that bike and even though I moved on from it I don't regret for a moment having it.

·
Rider
9 Posts
The VN800 is a sweet bike, and it's not quite as small as you might think.
It's got as much power, (and nearly as much torque) as the early HD Softails had, ... and at first glance it's real hard to tell it's not a Softail. :cool:
Quite a few of the Harley guys will actually think it is one, at least until they notice the radiator. :LOL:
It'll cruise at freeway speeds all day and with a decent seat (the stock seat on the A just bites) it's capable enough for long trips.
If you decide to keep her, ... I'd suggest a Mustang. your posterior will thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
My recommendation is always to put some miles on a new bike before you start spending money on things like seats. But if you're going to change a seat, definitely look at Mustangs. I've owned 2, good stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts