Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hey folks, I have a old 79 Kawasaki 900cc. It run but only on 3 cylinders. Im ruuning the bike to get it to try to kick in. There is smoking spewing freom the headers when i put my hand over the carb. and ahh. The bike kick in for a little get up to speed and then goes back to running on 3 cylinders again. Its messed up if you ask me. But the bike would run like a champ if i can get it going it was the fastest bike in its time and I would like to get this bike running. Its is A Kawasaki 900cc Double Overhead cams. It also has 4 cylinders if u would like to help me I would appriate ur help. Thanks Sean:D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Valves mate!
Most of your description points to a valve clearance problem on the affected cylinder, have you done a compression test?
Christo.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
Sean,

Please tell all you know about it, like the exhaust system, intake system, ignition, etc. Older bikes are seldom stock after so many years.

So what work have you done so far to get her running?

When you say it's running on 3 cylinders, can you tell me how you know for sure? You can be certain by getting her running, and spraying water on the exhaust headers. Water will turn to steam on a working cylinder, but just run down the pipe on a dead cylinder. Remember when running your engine to have a small fan blowing across the fins, you don''t want to aggravate anything by overheating her.

The first things I would do are drain the old oil and use some fresh 10-40 with a new oil filter. Then totally drain out the old gas, remove the rust from the tank, then add an inline fuel filter. It's possible some rust or crud has blocked the jets in that carb, keeping the cylinder from getting fuel. Or it could be a bad piece of the ignition sytem on that cylinder. Maybe a bad spark plug, or bad plug cap, or the plug wire is corroded in the cap or at the coil end.

Did you clean the carbs at all yet?

The smoke may be from the rings sitting so long they are stuck and not sealing well. Or dried up valve stem seals. Or maybe you added oil to the cylinders to free things up??

Let us know.
Kent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a buddy working on this bike for me. The bike is in decent shape. I took the bike out today and i was messing with it i got it going 90 on 3 cylinders and all oil is spewing from the top i think i put to much in I will take ur advice and do all this ****. well the guy has Tinkered with the points and tapped the carbs with a rubber mallet. changed the oil and that about it. Thanks for ur help in this subject i would appriate it.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
Too much oil is just as bad as too little. There is a sight glass on the lower right side of the engine. Proper level is between the two marks next to the glass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
did you get this fixed?--- i know this seems too simple- but- put in a new plug and try it-
check the coil wires,and plug cap

·
Registered
15 Posts
-? **** give him some pride-

i could do that as well-
start with the usual trouble shooting-(sounds like you did)
most time its something that has been over looked - or the (it couldn't be that)
-:mrgreen:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts