Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i posted a question asking iun tree words how could you best describe diffrent brand of bikes.. to see how people think in general in diferent countries.

Well. when i asked the same thing on a Japaneese forum (actually a chat room).

Most people tought pretty similar opinions about the difrente brands just like in Europe USA or Latin América.

But One thing caught my attention is that many people in Japan has the thought Kawasaki is a Man bike. Not like Suzuki o Yamaha or Honda.. they can be seen like driven by expert woman riders but not in Kawasaki.

The reason? no one.. just a conception like Honda :reliable boring forever

Kawaski was like: speed, new, Man bike
or
kawasaki: man, agresive, enduro. many like them

what do you think about that asian conception abput Kawa?.. might that be because of Ads also??..
any way just bring my attention this way of thinking.

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Man, you gotta get that Pell Specker fixed. Makes your head spin trying to read it!

·
Registered
135 Posts
its funny you should bring this up and i wish i had the time to dig up the thread but there was a big discussion about women and kawasakis somewhat recently on this forum... kawasaki makes the most attractive sportbikes for women (250 and 500) (no offense guys) and actually has acknowledged the fact that they recently have started marketing for women as well... im not sure i can explain why the asian consensus seems to be the opposite, especially when thats where all these bikes come from anyway... if i do happen to find the thread i was talking about, ill post it... i linked an entire article about kawasaki marketing and targeting women

·
Registered
135 Posts
easy enough to find actually... heres the thread:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...s/57465-kawasaki-attracting-women-riders.html

"About 15 percent of Kawasaki's motorcycle sales are to women, the largest percentage in the industry, said Sean Alexander, a spokesman for the company. Harley-Davidson is second, with 12 percent women buyers.

Likewise, Kawasaki has a cruiser model with a low seat height as well as three low-rider sport bikes.

In two of the three sport bikes, women probably account for 45 percent of the sales, Mr. Alexander said.

Kawasaki also "courts and supports" women motorcycle racers, he said.

We realize we need to focus on the general public – not just so-called manly men – and that includes as many women as men," Mr. Alexander said. "The only way we are going to grow this industry is to reach out to nontraditional groups."

in case anybody wants to read the whole article:
Women driving motorcycle sales | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Business

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wOw.. well seems that Kawasaki in the US has a different way of marketing, because it work! there.

like the nickname "ninja" it wasnt a name originall form Japan actually was a Us nickname that made an impressive impact gaining a lot of incomes.. certainly that didnt work very wwll on japan where the word Ninja has not the same impact as in teh occidental side.. so this cultural thing is pretty cool to examine..

thanks for the post pretty interesting.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My stereotypes on the big-4 (of course they're pretty close in terms of power and handling in real life, but the stereotypes stay):
Kawasaki: Aggressive, all-out-power, "black sheep"
Honda: Reliable but boring ("Old man's bike")
Suzuki: Squidz, wheelies & stoppies, fo shizzle my nizzle
Yamaha: Umm, not sure, but Vale rides one, so can't be half bad

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
That's kind of my perception of the big 4 - obviously influenced by marketing.

Kawi has a reputation for the fastest, most reliable engines, but not the best handling. Also fit and finish is relatively rough compared to the other 3.

Yamaha is also very fast, but not as reliable. Fit and finish is better than Kawi, but not as good as Honda. Lots of attention paid to handling.

Suziki - #2 in terms of power, but lacks handling characteristics of Yamaha and Honda. The choice of stunters and squids everywhere.

Honda - great fit and finish, solid build - almost bulletproof, #2 in handling, but not the raw power that Kawi and Suzuki put out.

Disclaimer: These are just my perceptions and are not to be taken as gospel!

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
My stereotypes on the big-4 (of course they're pretty close in terms of power and handling in real life, but the stereotypes stay):
Kawasaki: Aggressive, all-out-power, "black sheep"
Honda: Reliable but boring ("Old man's bike")
Suzuki: Squidz, wheelies & stoppies, fo shizzle my nizzle
Yamaha: Umm, not sure, but Vale rides one, so can't be half bad
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA Claus those fo shizzle got me...

Kawis are black sheeps...Very few Kawi riders except for the smaller bikes out here...This is the land of Honda, Yama, and Suz...

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I'll throw a womans point of view on this.

Kawi-Sportbikes-small enough to learn on, man or woman (250) big enough to to put most to shame (ZX-14)

Suzuki- Squidly, except for the GXR-750, which is a classic

Yamaha-Great bikes, ugly as sin (I have to look at them all day)

Honda-reliable, mostly boring, except for the RC-51

What would I call a girls bike? None of the sportbikes, only the Shadow 600 and the Yamaha 650, and they're cruisers.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
its funny you should bring this up and i wish i had the time to dig up the thread but there was a big discussion about women and kawasakis somewhat recently on this forum... kawasaki makes the most attractive sportbikes for women (250 and 500) (no offense guys) and actually has acknowledged the fact that they recently have started marketing for women as well... im not sure i can explain why the asian consensus seems to be the opposite, especially when thats where all these bikes come from anyway... if i do happen to find the thread i was talking about, ill post it... i linked an entire article about kawasaki marketing and targeting women
I imagine half the reason for this is because in North America a 250/500 is looked at as a toy. Bigger is better and we all gotta compensate for something, eh? For a lot of cruiser riders, a 900 is looked at as an entry level bike, because there isn't anything else available that's practical.

Japan (and Europe for that matter) still market several models under the 500cc size. You can buy 250 and 400cc fours and they're actually VERY popular as they're the perfect commuter and still have lots of power. I think there's more respect for the machine there.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
For a lot of cruiser riders, a 900 is looked at as an entry level bike, because there isn't anything else available that's practical.

When I was looking at bikes (before I choose my 900LT) Suzuki c50, harley sportster low rider, vulcan etc. several big bike (?) riders mentioned that they were all nice entry level bikes. Duh!!! maybe I didn't want or need something over 900cc. At one time 900 was a huge size. So would a Nomad be an entry level to a V2K??? etc. It really all boils down to perception. What one wants to perceive as big or entry or whatever. In the US we are raised (mostly but not everyone) to perceive bigger is better.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
I really love my meanie (sleek and beautiful) - and I guess I'd like to think in my mind that Kawa's are a MAN's bike - but you gotta check out the calendar on this site and you'll quickly see that these bikes are for everyone. Viva la difference!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
When I was looking at bikes (before I choose my 900LT) Suzuki c50, harley sportster low rider, vulcan etc. several big bike (?) riders mentioned that they were all nice entry level bikes. Duh!!! maybe I didn't want or need something over 900cc. At one time 900 was a huge size. So would a Nomad be an entry level to a V2K??? etc. It really all boils down to perception. What one wants to perceive as big or entry or whatever. In the US we are raised (mostly but not everyone) to perceive bigger is better.
900's were big , but remeber most of them were also inline 4's
Now japan is hung up on the vtwin( because americans are) I would be willing to bet an older bike like a cb900 will outperform a vulcan 900 put in the same chassis

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
More than likely. Not to say I don't like the bigger bikes. Almost got a Nomad but figured the 900 would serve me fine. I doubt I'll ever do 2up on it. My wife just don't like bikes. LOL Good actually since it leaves me time for myself. I was just getting sick of some of the people in the area (not on the forum) that I talked to about what I was thinking of getting kinda making like the 900 was for beginners etc. Sorry but First time on a bike was 1964 not quite a newbie. At least on this forum it's about riding not so much what you ride. Was gonna ride up your way Sunday but went to Quabbin instead. Wasn't all that bad out.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
More than likely. Not to say I don't like the bigger bikes. Almost got a Nomad but figured the 900 would serve me fine. I doubt I'll ever do 2up on it. My wife just don't like bikes. LOL Good actually since it leaves me time for myself. I was just getting sick of some of the people in the area (not on the forum) that I talked to about what I was thinking of getting kinda making like the 900 was for beginners etc. Sorry but First time on a bike was 1964 not quite a newbie. At least on this forum it's about riding not so much what you ride. Was gonna ride up your way Sunday but went to Quabbin instead. Wasn't all that bad out.
You know what if you didnt tell people it was 900 most of the have no clue.
Honestly who cares what people think. Its funny when alot of people I see critisize what others are riding don't even own a bike.

You must really have the bug for riding since you got that 900 because it was way too cold for me I went out back on my atv instead.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
You must really have the bug for riding since you got that 900 because it was way too cold for me I went out back on my atv instead.
I think it's cuz I drive a big rig all week. When I'm out on the bike it's a different world. I get de-stressed easier. LOL Sunday wasn't all that bad really. No wind so I only rode for about 4 hours then went home. I'll be seeing ya this spring I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It's sad but true. There are too many people who' ignore those who WANT a smaller bike. I like my EX, I do see myself moving up to a 600 sport (more out of curiousity than anything) but I also see myself going back to a twin like the 650R.

A girl I used to date went to school with a girl from Cambodia, who happened to LOVE motorbikes. When she told the Cambodian that I rode a 500, the Cambodian couldn't believe how BIG a bike it was. Most of the motorcycles there are UNDER 250cc and are usually single cylinder Honda clones. Anything over 250cc was seen as a luxury bike!

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
It's sad but true. There are too many people who' ignore those who WANT a smaller bike. I like my EX, I do see myself moving up to a 600 sport (more out of curiousity than anything) but I also see myself going back to a twin like the 650R.
be careful! being able to go from 0-OH MY GOD! in the blink of an eye is addictive :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts