Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if Suzuki has a full fairing on their new 500...can we expect the Kawasaki to finally make the change over to a full fairing as well? Can we not expect something even a shade better in aerodynamics due to the advantages found in the ZX-10R...even over the ZX-6R? I'd like to see Kawasaki or even Suzuki go to a better fairing on a 250...perhaps EFI...maybe an ECU...so that they could enter racing and make the bike something besides a "GIrls Bike", or a great learners bike...allthis really upsets me...the bike has real potential, but the majority of the 5-600 riders put it down. When I finish mine with stock nothing, I'd be happy to show a few people just what a bike can do on the circuit. None of this street racing where people can get hurt. I'd like to see 17" tires on the 250R, but at $1,200.00 it just wouldn't be fair to the 500's. The new 600's have some great weight advantages at 355lbs...they may be tough to beat on anything but really tight and twisty tracks. stay short, stay light and stay on the throttle...lean like there is no tomorow...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, you hit some big ones. Full fairings would be great. They probably wouldn't make much performance difference if you doing less than 100mph, but they would still look great. EFI is a huge improvement for cars, so why not for the Ninja 250? And why not 17 inch tires? How much more could that possibly cost? $20?

You're right that people tend to look down on the 250, but this bike knows how to get up and talk if you know how to drive it. The driver makes a lot more difference than the engine. I'm just getting comfortable with leaning. A buddy taught me to grip the tank with my knees and become one with the bike. I know the bike can really crank around the corners. My limitation is me.

We finally had one really nice warm sunny day yesterday, and I didn't have a chance to ride. But my son and I ate lunch outside and went for a walk in the park. The trail still had a lot of snow on it. Today it rained all day, and it's supposed to rain through the weekend, but it's supposed to be above freezing all next week, so I'll be getting some time on the bike then.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R&D

Curt, I had a 1983 Suzuki GS450S that I rode all of the time in New England (R.I.) and I learned lots from watching films, even crashes...some of my techniques are not race quality, but since then I have watched other films and been through Kart racing school and learned even more about racing...esp apex of curves, chassis position, braking early-late, and I think that even at 35MPH you would see the numbers change on a bike if you were looking closely. I know that even at 55MPH you can see the difference. I was playing with my bike and made a trip to Maine, from R.I., and the round trip was an eye opener as to fuel. That all all of the wind I had to endure. I know that efi and ecu's are expensive but it would allow adjustments from the very basic 18 year old going school in the city, weighing 120 pounds, a 42 year old comuter going 20 miles to work at 160 pounds , a 51 year old living out in the country right off the interstate with 40-60 mile commutes with 30+ years of riding...it would allow a complete range of mapping possibilities, for whatever the siruation is...plus elevation changes like San Diego, Ca to Denver, CO, or over the passes at 11,000 feet. I know the manufactures would remark it's only a 250cc bike not a cruiser, we wouldn't sell many of them....IF they were ALL set up this way the industry would be able to save lives. Based upon your weight, riding skills (which could be tested on a very short track), or even just the desires of the customer. Personally, I'd be tickled to find out just what my skills are, recorded on an onboard computer and then matched to my bike to allow me to not exceed a buffer zone. IF you want it opened wide open then fine let the dealer open it wide open...it would cost the individual in town and commuting because the mapping would not be set to their style of riding...just like advancing the timing in the city (CAR), or retarding it for the highway...my distributor can't do it on it's own on my car. Then again...I have a friend with a MAZDA car taht has a POWER and CITY mode Button on the console...which changes the timing...

W

·
0 Posts
All the major bike mfrs had DFI many years ago, they should have continued with it. Carbs are crap, unless you want to go serious racing or spend your time servicing them every 4K miles.

DFI is both economical and reliable, I used to get 56+mpg on the DFI BMW K100 - all weathers and all road and riding scenarios. I can squeeze 60mpg from the ZX900A if I'm very careful on easy open roads, 40mg in town and 38mpg when all hell breaks loose. Trouble is I have to p**s about balancing the carbs every 4K miles, put up with poor starting in the wet/damp, and when riding in the city I have to keep adjusting the idle when she gets warm. I would LOVE to upgrade my bike to DFI - I know they had it 2 years earlier on the GPz1100.

Cheers,
Wanderingoffagain

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DFI/EFI

It sure would be sweet to have it, (even for a conversion kit...???), especially for all the differences in elevation that we have in some areas we live in. I liked setting up carbs the last time I had a bike and the equipment was free to use. It's not a matter of buying the equipment it's the hastle of adjusting when you tour. I don't think my 250 will do so well when it is based at 1082'above sea-level (our local airport elevation), and then I take the pass into California at 11,000' above sea-level. With a 1,000cc /1.0L bike it might not be that noticable in power. Of course, I could just take the southern route and not have any problems crossing at 5,000'ASL. Then again...there is the advantage of setting up my carbs ANY way that I want. For wide open exhaust, like the Muzzy pipe and K&N airfilter and Screaming up, down major grades with turns so tight that the letter "Z" looks like a lazy "S", the carbs can be adjusted just "so" for them...or for cruising down the highway at a constant speed all day long in 6th gear. Yes there are some advantages to carbs...as well as disadvantages...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Well apparently the latest Suzuki/Kawasaki shared model is the Suzuki V-Strom which will be badged as a Kawasaki KLV1000.

Guess it was due since the new Suzuki Marauder 1600 is actually the Meanstreak.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I would like to see some better full fairings for the ex250 and ex500, something nice and aerodynamic. 17" rims for the ex250 would be a huge improvement also.

I think both bikes need dual discs up front (like the gpz 500).

Although I wouldn't mess with EFI on these, one of the main advantages is the dependability of these bike's setups. If you go changing that the bike loses lots of its appeal.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CHANGES!

I actually sent an email to Kawasaki on their motorcycles...with reference to having the 16" wheels used ONLY on the EX250, when everything else uses either 17" in Sport bikes or other sizes in other classes/styles, saving them loads of money. Too, I suggested that further devolopment went into aerodynamics and better fairings...I guess that Suzuki heard me, they have a full fairing now on their 500. You would think with ALL of hte 500 and 250 Kawasaki bikes that someone would be building full fairing for both. I can find fairings for the 500 but am still looking for the 250. A Solo-seat offered from the manufacturer would bring in extra dollars, adjustable rear shock, lower bars and/or a slightly taller windscreen for the taller riders, LED's that draw less than 1/10the the current (if only for Safety reasons) and are brighter, last longer...a rear fender eliminator kit (optional), a security system (optional), a city headlight bulb (currently used in Europe, 8W bulb), Even optional wheels, besides offering up the 17" for the 250 that are lighter weight. They could sell the same bike in 3 different model areas from stock (i.e.) EX500, Ninja 500R, and ZX-5R. The only differences being that by the time you got to the ZX-5R you would have the racing stuff including the Exhaust system, Stage 3 Carbs, air box/filter modification...the seat, bars, wheels, LED's...I guess that they figure that "IF the customer wants it they can just go do it themselves...NOW if we can only get them to decide on ONE or TWO and not all the different size and different Fonts on the same bike...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts