Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 1988 bayou 300.It back fire and then begin to run bad.It starts and idles good but wont rev up it miss fire sound like a bunch of little back fire.I replaced the timing chain,cdi,remove gas from tank and clean carb,clean and set valves,remove exhaust,by pass ignition sw,the timing mark on bottom lines up but the cam shaft sprocket is 2mm off.I dont know what else to do

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
make sure the key hasnt sheared off on the fly wheel and letting it grab and slip when under a load.also i have seen on these the cam gear has a lip or tang on the back of it that aligns in a hole in the cam ,it shears off or wears down.this may be y your 2 mm off.

remove the chain from cam remove the bolt and inspect the back of the cam gear for the nub.also make sure the cam gear bolt is tight first,it may have backed off due to not usein loctite (RED)(high strength high heat) and not usein corrrect torque specs.or age. give them a try post back your finds-corey-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i know what you mean ,i checked the key on the flywheel and its good also i inspect the cam sprocket its good .A guy told me that the crank could have turn on itself were its press together and fire when its not in t.d.c. I was thinking it sound more like the cam shaft.Thank you for replying.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
yea i know what you mean ,i checked the key on the flywheel and its good also i inspect the cam sprocket its good .A guy told me that the crank could have turn on itself were its press together and fire when its not in t.d.c. I was thinking it sound more like the cam shaft.Thank you for replying.
i agree with you on the cam shaft not being right ,try to move the cam gear back 2mm so when you put the tentsioner on itll pull it right on the money with the marks,(i had do do this to get my 86 bayou cam lined up).

if you put the mark on its line and then put the tentsioner in itll move the it off line.so go 1 tooth forwards (towards the exhaust pipe) put chain on and then put the tentsioner on and see if itll pull it to its mark while holdin the crank bolt still.that should get you goin < i hope>:) just make sure your on tdc of that compression stroke and the cam lubes are facein down towards the piston.-corey-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.