Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well let me start off by saying I have loved riding my Kawasaki Drifter 1500. I have not ridden anyother kawasaki's, but mine rides great. The Drifter was the only reason I chose to buy a kawasaki, it was the right price and had a classic look no other brand offered other than a true Indian($31K), but again the price was right. Anyway Last night I was at the Cleveland Bike show, How dissapointing was I, first in the bike show itself then by Kawasaki and Suzuki. If the kawasaki's design team was there last night I would of gave them a piece of my mind. First off Kawasaki need to update its bikes and use better componetry. I would of given Kawasaki and F last night for there street bikes. The Meanstreak just is out classed by the Honda Fury, Harley Rocker, and Vstar Raider. Again I'm not attacking kawasaki, just challenging them to step up there game against the competition. Back to the overall show, Victory didnt even show up, which thats all I really wanted to see, Harley I thought had some nice bikes(B), the skull and bones was bad ***. Vstar was excellenet, again the Raider was beautiful, well done! oh and 113CI its a bigboy bike (A). Honda always has a great display the fury is nice, the tank was a bit narrow for me, and engine is a little small 1300cc. (B+). Suzuki yeah we know you have the M109 big deal, they were a dissapointment (F). Anyway dont take what I have to say for anything, be your own judge, I myself was really disapointed by Kawasaki and the Cleveland Bikeshow(D).

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i have to disagree with ya....i think the mean streaks a heck of a lot better lookin bike then the other 3 you mentioned.....btw i notice ya live in canton..im over in portage county by kent....youll have to join us on a ride this summer

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
i have to disagree with ya....i think the mean streaks a heck of a lot better lookin bike then the other 3 you mentioned.....
+1

The only mentioned bike I like is the Fury.

Also, the model cycle of the manufacturers differ of course, and I'm totally convinced that Kawi will present new awesome models within the next 2-3 years. Maybe a 1700 or 2K Mean Streak. :wink:

Talked to a local dealer here about the Fury, and he said if the Fury would be a Kawi he would sell ten times so many... :tongue:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The small details and componetry on all 3 way out class the Meanstreak, I sat on all 3 last night, looked at them up close, the meanstreak cant even compare. Look I own a Kaw what I wont play the bias cards, call it as i see it, wait until you all see these other bikes up close this spring and summer out at the group rides you'll see. We are being upstaged I'm tell ya.
Yeah I'm down in Canton, Couple of us from Canton fire plan to do a ride into DC and up to NY city this year for safty services, my buddy has the info if youre interested.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
wait until you all see these other bikes up.
I sat on all three of them yesterday. Nuff said. :wink:
The Rocker is nice to look at, but didn't impress me when it came to comfort and feel. Cross Bones was pretty nice, but no...
The Fury is really neat, but a little to small.
Victory is for kids, with all their colors and sh|t...

Don't even mention the vrod, that's certainly no cruiser!!!

(However, I'm no component expert, so about that part I will leave it unsaid.)

·
VN900
208 Posts
I went to the DC IMS a couple of weeks ago and I would say that it was smaller show and less exciting than years past! With the bad economy and dealers closing as well as the cruiser market loosing shares to other type bikes I'm not surprised that nothing really exciting came out. I was more interested in seeing the new Z1000 and checking out the Concours (again) and both of those bikes are very impressive! I've seen the Honda Fury at dealers and it is a nice bike that you can personalize if that's your thing. Cycle World did a Project Fury (Dec. '09) that turned out really nice! It seems that all the manufacturers theme for 2010 is just different color schemes. Too bad.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Companies get complacent with their products. And I believe that during tough economic times it is even more so. Although I intend to sell my bike I have very much enjoyed it and it was exactly the bike I wanted. To me Kawasaki is just one brand of several to choose from. Thankfully we all have plenty of choices to pick from when it comes to shopping for a motorcycle.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
The Drifter was the only reason I chose to buy a kawasaki, it was the right price and had a classic look

First off Kawasaki need to update its bikes
You bought an out of production 800 (which is a great bike btw) because you liked it yet complain they need to up date their line up

need i remind you Kawasaki just spent a small fortune in the all new 1700 line up.

what beats that or even compares to what they have done for that matter.

right now Kawasaki has a bike to match all riders nuff said.

it seems to me Kawasaki is not trying to out do anyone they are off in their own direction doing their own thing, maybe its the other guys that are trying to play catch-up

·
Custom 800
426 Posts
Kinda tough to say the Mean Streak is outclassed when they haven't had a new model since 2008.
+1 you took the words out of my mouth.
the honda fury is alittle too late in the game and is cheaply made. look at the welds, the pegs, brake and shifter are hideous looking and dont match. it is small and does not offer a whole lot of upgrades. The other new hondas are aweful looking. Have to agree on suzuki, they are outdated. I give honda an A for effort but and D- for products. Kawi does need to step it up. There is to much of a gap in cc's and no performance cruiser. victory is very impressive, they have something for everyone in my opinion. Great looking bikes. Harley is still living on their name. They have some nice bikes but way too much money for my checkbook. remembering bikes are a toy not a need.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
+1 you took the words out of my mouth.
the honda fury is alittle too late in the game and is cheaply made. look at the welds, the pegs, brake and shifter are hideous looking and dont match. it is small and does not offer a whole lot of upgrades. The other new hondas are aweful looking. Have to agree on suzuki, they are outdated. I give honda an A for effort but and D- for products. Kawi does need to step it up. There is to much of a gap in cc's and no performance cruiser. victory is very impressive, they have something for everyone in my opinion. Great looking bikes. Harley is still living on their name. They have some nice bikes but way too much money for my checkbook. remembering bikes are a toy not a need.
yeah i have to agree on the fury..2yrs to late.....imo the next big thing is gonna be rat bike lookin bobbers......

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yeah I'm down in Canton, Couple of us from Canton fire plan to do a ride into DC and up to NY city this year for safty services, my buddy has the info if youre interested.
dont think ill be able to make any of those rides because of work...but we do a lot of day trips..weve gotten quite a few of us ohio riders together for rides...you and any of your friends are more then welcome to join us...

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I'll bet dollars to donuts a Mean Streak would school the Raider, Fury, and Rocker in the mountain twisties. So depending on your view of things...I may not be able to say the Meanie outclasses those other rides....but I'm certain it will outhandle them.
But hey, whadda I know........;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You bought an out of production 800 (which is a great bike btw) because you liked it yet complain they need to up date their line up

need i remind you Kawasaki just spent a small fortune in the all new 1700 line up.

what beats that or even compares to what they have done for that matter.

right now Kawasaki has a bike to match all riders nuff said.

it seems to me Kawasaki is not trying to out do anyone they are off in their own direction doing their own thing, maybe its the other guys that are trying to play catch-up
I bought Drifter 1500 back in 05 with plans on changing it, yes it an old look but more of a timeless classic look. I guess what I'm trying to say is when guys go shopping for a muscle car they look at the late 60s to around early 70s. everyone know those were the bad *** cars right, yes there are a couple in the later years but looks wise those years were the best. The 2009-2010 kawasaki line up I will compare to the late 70 to 80s not to many bad *** cars ugly, IMO. Kawasaki- reliability A+, components C, looks F sorry guys I love my Kawasaki but based on looks alone the kawasaki's are looking out dated, if you spend a fortune on a new line of 1700 engines you better come up with some new looks, slasher pipes, more paint schemes, different tire configurations, custom ordering, custom parts to make each his own. yes its a recession, hell i'm laied off, start back tommorow thank god, but If they want to keep selling bikes they are going to have to make changes. I just wont be bias cause I own a Kawasaki. For the price Honda fury is out, and a 1300 engine is a joke on that bike. The VTX's are nice and hondas last, Harley Ill never own one, some are absolutly beautiful but cost is a joke. vstars are made very well, and the new raider was awsome, victory awsome but they better start thinking about come up with a new power plant to compete even though the 106ci is newer, suzki again, update stat. I just hope Kawaski would use that monster 2000cc or even the 1700 on something that would crush everthing else.
"it seems to me Kawasaki is not trying to out do anyone they are off in their own direction doing their own thing, maybe its the other guys that are trying to play catch-up"- really? seems to me other than the 1700 engine change they have been very staganat.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
My 2 cents:
We were at the show Saturday morning. I have always been somewhat disappointed in the shows. For a $15.00 admission, and 8 bucks to park it isn't a deal. Guess I could have rode, and taken advantage of the $4.00 bike parking......right! (I'm only 5 minutes away) The IX Center is huge, and why they don't open it up a bit is beyond me. Narrow walkways with a lot of people, don't make for a great experience. Found it hard to take the time to see, and visit all the booths that I wanted to. That said, it's the middle of winter, freezing cold out, what a better way to kill a few hours than checking out bikes, and bike stuff! Kind of neat seeing all the walks of life, from the yuppies, to the club guys, and gals all sharing the same interests.

I was surprised Victory wasn't there also. It was a brand I would have liked to see. As you might imagine, I'm a little partial to the Kaw 2000. Only saw 1 at the show. I think Kaw nailed it with the Voyager. Saw many a HD guy checking them out, and wondering how, equipt as it is, be close to 10 grand less than a comparable HD. The Concourse is also a sweet looking, and well equipt ride, if that's what you like. All said and done, I enjoyed the show, picked up some metal polish, and sealer that works great. (I just had some new shoes mounted, and brought the wheels in the house to polish to my hearts content) The wheels, with the new Cobra's never looked better.

My wife, and I both agree, that we didn't see anything that we wanted, liked, or looked any better than my 2K. Just my 2 cents.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
dont think ill be able to make any of those rides because of work...but we do a lot of day trips..weve gotten quite a few of us ohio riders together for rides...you and any of your friends are more then welcome to join us...
Yeah come on a ride with us. Steve's not such a bad guy. LOL He is kinda wierd though. LOL:biggrin:

I was at the bike show today and boy was is small compared to the last 2 years. But I gotta disagree too. I like the styling of the Kaw's over the other brands. That's the main reason I own one.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
"it seems to me Kawasaki is not trying to out do anyone they are off in their own direction doing their own thing, maybe its the other guys that are trying to play catch-up"- really? seems to me other than the 1700 engine change they have been very staganat.
The 900 came out in 06...since then Yamaha is the only manufacturer to make a run at it (after the fact) with the 950. Honda hasn't...Suzuki hasn't (both sticking with older designs).

The 2000 has been around quite a while...and really Triumph was the only manufacturer to ever make a run at the super sized displacement.

The 1700 comes in the Nomad or Voyager form...Honda has nothing to compete with either (the VTX1800T would compete with the 1700 LT). Suzuki is much the same...only having a competitor for the LT version. Yamaha has a competitor for both. Victory just introduced competitors for the Nomad (previously only competing with the LT), and introduced a competitor for the Voyager at about the same time as Kawi

The sport bikes compete particularly well in their respective classes, and the Concours busted on the scene scoring well...and then Kawasaki proceeded to fix pretty much every complaint about it for this year.

They may not have what you want...they may not be the best in every single class (I personally don't care for the 1700's)...but they compete across the board.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yeah come on a ride with us. Steve's not such a bad guy. LOL He is kinda wierd though. LOL:biggrin:

I was at the bike show today and boy was is small compared to the last 2 years. But I gotta disagree too. I like the styling of the Kaw's over the other brands. That's the main reason I own one.
well theres the pot callin the kettle black.....;) :lol: thats to bad about the show pat..ya should have came with us over to sharon for that benefit....$15.00..all the wings ya could eat right next to quaker steak & lube....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.