Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They ought to call it Customer NO Service! As some of you know I recently added a fairing with stereo to my Classic 1600. I had a small problem with the wiring. The directions said there was two ways of wiring the stereo and it showed a red and black wire as well as a smaller brown one. The first method would be to wire the red to the positive and the black to the negative post and also the brown wire to the positive post along with the red one, however this leavesthe stereo hot all the time and the lights on it alone will completely kill your battery in four days of sitting in your garage (i know this for a fact).The much perferred way it says is to locate your accessory plugs per your manual and hook the brown wire to one of them so it will turn off when you turn the key off and not drain your battery. OK, in my service manual it shows two single female plugs next to battery and labels them accessory plugs A & B. Reality showed one single plug and one double plug. Plug A is really a dianostic plug and has no juice.The two accessory plugs, unlike the picture, are combined in one plug, plug B.
The problem with them is that they are wired FROM the Mfg. to be on all the time regardless of it you have the key turned to the on or off position. In other words they are worthless! You might as well just wire it straight to the battery as it's operation is exactly the same. I mean, can you imagine a car mfg. telling you with a straight face that the car is purposely wired to not turn off the accessories, like stereo or AC, when the key is turned off?!?! Well, Kawasaki customer service rep. named "Mark" did just that and then rudely added they were not going to pay for hooking up my stereo under warranty. He refused to concede that this was a design or engineering flaw and insisted it came wired to specs. The dealer service manager even said it's an engineering mistake from Kawaski but informed me they refuse to fix it under warranty or issue a recall. Soooo, to make a long story short (I know...it's already too late) I paid the $38 to have the dealer splice a new wire and fuse into the system so it now works the way it's supposed to. Needless to say I'm extremely disappoint in Kawasaki right now. They made a really great bike IMHO with the Classic 1600, that they would overlook such a simple design error in it's wiring like this is incredible, that they refusedto fix it under warranty or recall is appalling! Maybe they'll read this and be so ashamed they will call me.....but I'm not holding my breath.

Bumper

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm now interested in checking the "two" aux. that are labeled in my manual for my 900 Custom. It does seem stupid the way you found yours hooked up and I agree with you that it's wrong. At the same time I feel it may have been a stretch to ask for a recall or warranty work to fix the problem. I'm not saying you're wrong to have asked them because the saying stands to reason "you never know 'til you ask."

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the same time I feel it may have been a stretch to ask for a recall or warranty work to fix the problem.>>

Why? Isn't that what warranties and recalls are for? To correct Mfg. design, engineering. and mfg. flaws? Don't you think that Kawasaki putting in two accessory plugs that result in accessories that can't be turned off is a flaw? What did they expect their customers to do? Perhaps to plug in a accessory to their provided accessory plug and then have to take the seats off every time they put it in the garage and hook up a battery charger to it?!?! Sorry, but for "Mark" to insist that it's wired to spec and their spec ain't somehow wrong, that it's not their fault and that they aren't going to do anything about it struck me as gross supidity or indifference on their part. It's not the $38 it cost me that is upsetting me, it's the principal. It was THEIR error, they should pay for it, not me. Their product did not do what it was supposedly designed to do. They provided accessory plugs to plug in accessories but wired them in such a way so the accessories couldn't be turned off thus discharging the battery. That's a design flaw in my book and the Mfg. should be held responsible for it. Grrrrr

Bumper

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm now interested in checking the "two" aux. that are labeled in my manual for my 900 Custom.>>

I'm interested too. I'm wondering if ALL their cruisers have their acessory plugs wired this way. If the cost to fix this design problem is $38 times the number of cruisers sold I also have to wonder if some lawyer might not think that the fact that Kawasaki refuses to take any responsibility for it would make it applicable to file a class action lawsuit?

·
I'm Back
616 Posts
I can't speak about Kawi costumer service but I just think customer service in general is a thing of the past. It went down hill ever since they came out with those stupid automated answering phones, you know the ones that start off saying press 1 for english.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
It won't be a warrantee issue unless there's an early failure of a part and it won't get a recall unless there is a safety issue involved. Don't think this falls under either category

·
Back in the saddle
477 Posts
The 1600 print shows the main white wire from the 30 amp fuse (Steady power) going through the fuse box and only a fuse. There is no relay to switch it. This is the way it is on all 1600's.

And on a side note... All you had to do is connect it to the reb/blue going to you front turn/marker lights. The marker lights are only on when the key is turned on or to park.

Attachments

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
Maybe I can shed a wee little bit of light here. When the bike is manufactured, it isn't intended to have modifications made. Even adding an "accessory" qualifies as a modification. The wiring from the factory doesn't power any accessories so the two plugs that are there are wired with the stock configuration in mind. I don't know if the two plugs in question are unused or not, but the fact that they are labeled "accessory" could only mean that they send power to an accesory that has a switched source. The switch on the column has wiring and most likely goes to relays where those wires from next to the battery are running.

I only defend them because I worked on cars for so many years and I know that labeling an item may mean something completely different to the user than to the mfg. If you are adding something to a vehicle that didn't come on it from the mfg, it pays to know how to test and locate what you need without any instruction. Manufacturers consider what you are doing damaging to the bike and can be full of negative reasons why you shouldn't be doing anything to it. A good case in point is using LED lights for turn signals etc. They almost always work funny (if at all) and the mfg doesn't think you should be doing stuff like that to their "perfectly designed" peice of equipment.

Being rude on the other hand is not called for under any circumstance and customer service people should never have an attitude with customers who need service. That is what makes the difference for all of us. It isn't the answer that is given as much as how it is delivered.

Sounds like you got it fixed and $38 isn't bad for an operation like that. granted it probably took 5 minutes of work and no parts effectively, but knowledge is power and people can charge what they want for their knowledge. Enjoy the ride!

Take care,
Robert

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It won't be a warrantee issue unless there's an early failure of a part and it won't get a recall unless there is a safety issue involved. Don't think this falls under either category
Apparently you're right Jake. Kawaski puts a product in their bike that if used as it was supposedly designed be used will discharge your battery completely dead in less then four days but it's not their problem because no part has broken or failed and no safety issues are involved. We owners have to bear the costs of modifing their product to get it to work properly, that's the position Kawaski apparently has taken as well.

·
Back in the saddle
477 Posts
Apparently you're right Jake. Kawaski puts a product in their bike that if used as it was supposedly designed be used will discharge your battery completely dead in less then four days but it's not their problem because no part has broken or failed and no safety issues are involved. We owners have to bear the costs of modifing their product to get it to work properly, that's the position Kawaski apparently has taken as well.
I'm sorry but I would disagree. If they switched the acc then you would have no other option but to connect to the battery if you wanted to have a steady source of power. By not switching it, you only need to add a $5.00 relay to switch it, or in your case. connect the switching wire to any source that is already switched. Most stereo's already have an in-line fuse on that wire, so nothing else is needed. I would prefer to have that option left to me at the time of the install.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have three "Accessory" outlets in my GMC truck that are unswitched. This sounds more like an issue with the fairing instructions than one with bike wiring.

·
Back in the saddle
477 Posts
Here is a thought for you. If they had switched it.... Where would you get the steady power to retain the time and channel memories? You would now need to run to the battery directly. I would think this is more work then just tying into a wire in the headlight bucket.

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only defend them because I worked on cars for so many years and I know that labeling an item may mean something completely different to the user than to the mfg.>>

Apparently they don't communicate well with their dealers either then. I bought this bike a year ago and when the dealer went thru the walk thru with me he pointed out the plugs next to the battery and said they were for connecting things like a stereo or MP3 player, GPS, etc. which apparently made both of us come away with the impression that Kawaski did intend that those things be added to their bikes at the option of the owner, hence they provided these two little accessory plugs. And the owner's manual even has a picture in it for us layman with arrows pointing to what it calls two accessory plugs. It's only now, after attempting to hook up the stereo, that I discovered that one of them ain't an accessory plug at all and the other one will keep your accessory on all the time and kill your battery if you use it without modifing it at your own expense first. I know it's small stuff, you'd think that someone who just dropped three grand on accessories wouldn't be bothered by $38 of additional wiring needed wouldn't ya? But I installed everything myself and by following all the instructions I should have been able to hook up the stereo just the way the dealer told me I should when I bought the bike, and the way my owner's manual indicated too... and I feel betrayed that it turned out to be impossible for me, or the shop, to do this without draining the battery dead in less then four days without making this modification. It's fixed now and everything works just fine but my phone conversation with "Mark" really irked me I guess. It was like talking to a robot programed to repeat, "It's wired to spec" and "We're not paying to have your stereo installed under warranty sir" And I came back with I wasn't asking him to, I was asking him to correct an obvious mistake in their wiring so their accessory plug would work the way their dealer told me it would and your owner manual indicates it should. But it was like talking to a wall. Oh well, if that's all I deal with today that upsets me it will still turn out to be a good day I guess. ;-)

·
Registered
460 Posts
My two cents, and it may not even be worth that, is that the bike's wiring is what it is.

Unless the original wiring is doing something wrong, it's the responsibility of the person adding the accessory to make sure it works the way he wants it to.

I can understand your thinking that you would rather all outlets were switched, but not so much that you think it should be a warranty or recall issue.

Aren't cigarette lighters/accessory outlets in cars on all the time?

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Just dug out the wiring diagram for the 1600 classic from Gadget's page. Looks like color code brown is connected the switched side of the ignition switch. In the accessory connectors black/yellow is ground and white/blue is hot through a 10 amp fuse. There should be two accessory connectors, one at the front of the gas tank and a second under the seat for rear accessories. It shows the 4 terminal connector and a single yellow connector for the diagnostics.

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just dug out the wiring diagram for the 1600 classic from Gadget's page. Looks like color code brown is connected the switched side of the ignition switch. In the accessory connectors black/yellow is ground and white/blue is hot through a 10 amp fuse. There should be two accessory connectors, one at the front of the gas tank and a second under the seat for rear accessories. It shows the 4 terminal connector and a single yellow connector for the diagnostics.
I won't pretend to understand all of the above but both of mine are located under the front seat next to the battery Jake.

·
Back in the saddle
477 Posts
Bottom line. The dealer not Kawasaki misinformed you and as you stated, you choose option 2 on your install.
(The directions said there was two ways of wiring the stereo and it showed a red and black wire as well as a smaller brown one.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts