Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill Clinton's zipper in a sororiety house.

What gives? These are good bikes but the brand seems to being hit harder than some of its competition?

In tallking to my independant (former Kawi dealer mechanic) he postulated that the V2000 had engine problems and that the rest of the cruiser line was older technology and not staying up with the times like they have in the past.

What say you? What does Kawi need to do to recapture market share and consumer passion?

R. Todd

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
im not sure id agree with all that....id blame the bad economy more then anything right now..i dont think anyones really stood out in the past yr with new models or technology...just the way things are for the time being

·
Registered
219 Posts
...the rest of the cruiser line was older technology

Kawi just discontinued 2 "older" cruiser models (Vulcan 1500 and 1600) and added 4 new models: 1700 Classic, LT, Nomad, and Voyager. What's he talking about??

windman

·
VN900
208 Posts
I agree, the economy is what is driving dealers out. The disposable income has really fallen. When you say K has old technology, look no further than HD. I'm not knocking those bikes but they have been slower to change than the other manufacturers and their company is not as diverse in what they manufacture either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just my two cents:

It would be nice if Kawi could have stoped the price increase that went into effect with most 2010 Kawi models.

I bought a new 2009 in January because black would not be available in 2010 and the MSRP was some $700.00 less for the 09 (though I did get it far below MSRP).

I'm told the Yen is the reason for the price increase. The lousy US. economy isn't helping the recreational market at all. I guess if you put it all together you have dealer closings.

My dealer has bought up three other dealers that folded. Not a good thing for employees and the like.

A lot of people don't have the cash and can't get the credit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I say... HOLD STRONG, trim down, bring back an air cooled version of the ZRX 1200 or even in 1000 cc with maybe tour adaptability and diversity, ort of a convertible model, most of all... NOT TAKE any bailouts. KAWASAKI HAS BEEN PUTTING OUT A GREAT PRODUCT for as long as I can remember, but these are tough economic times and if you want to survive you have to be smart and strong.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Economy is the whole thing. Bikes, in general, are toys. The first thing you don't buy when money is tight-----toys.

My local dealer went under almost a year ago. He was both Kawi and Suzuki, dealt in cruiser, sport bikes, off road bikes, ATVs, jet ski's, scooters, you name it. The owner told me the biggest thing hurting his sales was lack of credit. He sold a lot of sport bikes to people in their 20's, and suddenly that group couldn't get financing.

I don't think it has anything to do with Kawi in particular----everybody is hurting. I've seen dealers of several brands with a ton of last years stuff sitting still. That in itself shows how sales are effected. 3-4 years ago you might see 3-4 leftover bikes. I bought mine as a leftover in 2007, and it was one of 3 leftover's in stock.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It has everything to do with the economy. Luckily my local dealership is going strong, everyone loves them. I can't say the same thing about the local Harley dealership. I talked with the sales manager and they usually get around 22 bikes a month in inventory they told me they are getting 11 bikes for the next 2 months because HD cut production by over 40%. He also said though because of that they would not be making any deals on bikes. All I can say is I love my 900 custom. When I was looking I wasn't sure what I wanted until I saw it in the showroom. I think they put out an excellent product. Although a larger engine version of the 900 custom would be nice.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Just my two cents:

It would be nice if Kawi could have stoped the price increase that went into effect with most 2010 Kawi models.

I bought a new 2009 in January because black would not be available in 2010 and the MSRP was some $700.00 less for the 09 (though I did get it far below MSRP).

I'm told the Yen is the reason for the price increase. The lousy US. economy isn't helping the recreational market at all. I guess if you put it all together you have dealer closings.

My dealer has bought up three other dealers that folded. Not a good thing for employees and the like.

A lot of people don't have the cash and can't get the credit.
stop a price increase while building more and more bikes in the usa??????

who is going to pay what American laborers get?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Economy is the whole thing. Bikes, in general, are toys. The first thing you don't buy when money is tight-----toys.

My local dealer went under almost a year ago. He was both Kawi and Suzuki, dealt in cruiser, sport bikes, off road bikes, ATVs, jet ski's, scooters, you name it. The owner told me the biggest thing hurting his sales was lack of credit. He sold a lot of sport bikes to people in their 20's, and suddenly that group couldn't get financing.

I don't think it has anything to do with Kawi in particular----everybody is hurting. I've seen dealers of several brands with a ton of last years stuff sitting still. That in itself shows how sales are effected. 3-4 years ago you might see 3-4 leftover bikes. I bought mine as a leftover in 2007, and it was one of 3 leftover's in stock.
Word of the day, "Credit". You are correct sir. The rating score requirements are much higher now, people want to buy but can't get financing. Pretty much eliminated the "early 20's" from owning a bike :)

Tony

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kawasaki

Kawasaki is a large corperation they make alot more than just motorcycles . They will make it just fine they've been through this before in the early 80's .

·
Registered
499 Posts
Word of the day, "Credit". You are correct sir. The rating score requirements are much higher now, people want to buy but can't get financing. Pretty much eliminated the "early 20's" from owning a bike :)
Tony
I was talking to one of the sales guys at my dealership before they closed. He was saying exactly that. He had a bunch of sales but couldn't get banks to approve loans for the bikes. That combined with the lousy economy and they closed the door end of the year. Too bad.

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
Not only is it difficult for dealers to get loans for prospective buyers, but the dealers themselves use loans to buy the bikes they keep in stock, and those have gotten more difficult to get.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
im not sure id agree with all that....id blame the bad economy more then anything right now..i dont think anyones really stood out in the past yr with new models or technology...just the way things are for the time being
+1

·
Super Moderator
10,875 Posts
...the rest of the cruiser line was older technology

Kawi just discontinued 2 "older" cruiser models (Vulcan 1500 and 1600) and added 4 new models: 1700 Classic, LT, Nomad, and Voyager. What's he talking about??

windman
Biggest mistake Kaw ever made.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think it's safe to state that sales of all brands of motorcycle are down and it's definitely due to the economy. As an example, Harley Davidson is the motorcycle industry's benchmark, and like everybody else, their sales are way off. Here are a few recent headlines from Wall Street regarding Harley: HD swings to wider-than-expected loss; HD swings to fourth-quarter loss; HD to ship 5 - 10% fewer motorcycles in 2010; HD to cut 950 jobs in York; HD shares are down 6%. I'm certainly not knocking Harley by any means, just showing how bad things are for the motorcycle leader. I think Kawasaki makes a fine line of bikes and while they may not get the media recognition that some other brands enjoy, I don't worry that they will be around as long as any of the others. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Biggest mistake Kaw ever made.
They'll have to come out with something in the near future to fill the gap between the 900 and 1700--maybe a 1300 to compete with the V-Star and VTX. They should have kept the 1500 in production until then. My '06 has been a great bike.

windman

1 - 20 of 34 Posts