Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll probably buy the good times warranty in about a year or so. I have the V900 LT, so my warranty doesn't expire until May 2009. When one buys the 4 year warranty, when do the 4 years start? Do they count them from the day you bought the bike or from the day you buy the warranty? If it's from the day you bought the bike, you are really only buying 2 years of warranty, but if it's from the day you buy the warranty and I wait until early 2009, then I'd be getting a true 4 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I believe it is an Extended Warranty....Meaning that it takes over after the original munufacturers warranty expires.
Go to E-Bay motors and do a search on warranty for Kawasaki.
There should be enough information there to answer most of your questions.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The Kawasaki GTPP warranty runs consecutively at the end of your factory warranty. A four year GTPP warranty will = 72 months of warranty. H-D extended warrantys run concurrent with factory warranty and that's a rip-off....

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I got the extended warranty when I bought my 900 because it doesn't start until the original warranty stops. I didn't see any reason to wait.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It typically starts when the factory warranty expires.

One serious word of warning on the Good Times warranty that I found out the hard way: If you sell the bike, it is transferrable, but you cannot cancel it and get your money back. The exceptions:

You can cancel within the first 60 days of ownership. You can get a refund (pro-rated, fair enough) if the bike it totaled or repossesed. But you cannot get your money back if you simply decide you don't want it anymore.

I traded my bike, and got the cancellation request form from my original Kawi dealer. It clearly states there and in my contract that you are not eligible for a refund if you simply sell the bike.

The Honda warranties are not like this.

Buyer beware.... I'm now out almost $500 and hold a warranty for a bike I no longer own. It's unlikely that anyone will benefit from it, either, unless the dealer I traded it to cares to disclose that there's a perfectly good transferrable warranty out there for the taking, and gets in touch with me to contact the new owner...

Very, very disappointing and a serious mistake on Kawi's part.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
It typically starts when the factory warranty expires.

One serious word of warning on the Good Times warranty that I found out the hard way: If you sell the bike, it is transferrable, but you cannot cancel it and get your money back. The exceptions:

You can cancel within the first 60 days of ownership. You can get a refund (pro-rated, fair enough) if the bike it totaled or repossesed. But you cannot get your money back if you simply decide you don't want it anymore.

I traded my bike, and got the cancellation request form from my original Kawi dealer. It clearly states there and in my contract that you are not eligible for a refund if you simply sell the bike.

The Honda warranties are not like this.

Buyer beware.... I'm now out almost $500 and hold a warranty for a bike I no longer own. It's unlikely that anyone will benefit from it, either, unless the dealer I traded it to cares to disclose that there's a perfectly good transferrable warranty out there for the taking, and gets in touch with me to contact the new owner...

Very, very disappointing and a serious mistake on Kawi's part.

Jim
james;
Why not go back to the dealership you sold the bike to and offer to 'trade' the warranty for,
say, some chrome baubles for your new ride? I'm sure they would use it as a selling tool to sell your old ride. Better hurry tho, once the old ride is gone, they will have no interst in the warranty and the new owner will not have the chrome goodies to trade. Just a thought, I have never owned a new bike in my 55 years of living so I can't speak from experience. I did, however buy a used bike from a guy who had an ext. warranty. I transfered it over to me and got the bike serviced just before it ran out. Saved me some $$$.
Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts