Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

i just picked up a 1975 F11, and the oil pump seems to function just fine, however one of the fittings on the oil pipe is broken (see attached photo).

has anyone repaired one of these? any advice on the best way to replace repair?

i'm sure i can find a new fitting, but has anyone come up with an alternative repair (besides running premix)? i'd like to keep the pump running proper. how about using small fuel fittings and complete different hosing/line?

junkman, i'm looking at you...you always seem to have creative and practical ideas for these kind of things.

thanks a million!

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hello all,

i just picked up a 1975 F11, and the oil pump seems to function just fine, however one of the fittings on the oil pipe is broken (see attached photo).

has anyone repaired one of these? any advice on the best way to replace repair?

i'm sure i can find a new fitting, but has anyone come up with an alternative repair (besides running premix)? i'd like to keep the pump running proper. how about using small fuel fittings and complete different hosing/line?

junkman, i'm looking at you...you always seem to have creative and practical ideas for these kind of things.

thanks a million!
Have I really become "that guy"? :lol:

You can't fix the original piece, nothing works, I have tried.

The only thing that DOES work is finding two banjo fittings with barb ends and then using flexible spaghetti line, like the stuff used for air ride suspensions/air shocks, to connect the two banjo fittings. The hard part is finding the banjo fittings that are the correct size to fit the stock banjo bolt. You might have to order a few different ones online to get the right size. I found ones that I have used at a hydraulic shop. Use a small diameter line as the pump doesn't have a lot of volume or pressure.

I forget the size but this should give you an idea on what to try. Just remember to bleed your system after the repair.

https://www.belmetric.com/banjo-eye-fittings-eye-fittings-for-rubber-hose-c-1041_855_1135.html?zenid=gpplrtoa236gm875o3p782ruv6

Just get creative, you might find something better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
being "that guy" is a good thing, & sometimes desperately needed by the rest of us. thanks for the insight...if i come up with a functioning workaround, i'll be sure to share. thanks!

·
Registered
653 Posts
A word of caution= the output lines of these oil pumps may have tiny check valves in them so the oil can only flow one way (likely the brass end of your line?) I know for certain the lines on the Kawi 350 triple I rebuilt had these valves-- I made sure they worked by sucking Varsol thru the lines ---(next time I'll use VODKA !!) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of my injector tubes was sliced in half (the one that connects to the outside of the engine. I confirmed that it has a check valve in it, as I can blow air one direction but not the other. So, is there a way to take the banjo and tube apart to replace just he rubber tube? I've pulled as hard as I can grip it, but I can't get them to separate. I saw the link above to some tiny banjos, but without the check valve, I'm assuming the system won't work correctly if it constantly pulls oil backwards and introduces air into the circuit. Correct?

Frustrated......

·
971 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts